Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Crawley then qualified that with 'who knows what the owner might do' or words to that effect.
  • Redrobo said:

I can understand chasing the £, but being happy in your work, being close to family life and friends is much more important.

The same applies to football players.

Huddersfield still to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs amongst others this season. Uhmm, tough choice.

• Redrobo said:

I can understand chasing the £, but being happy in your work, being close to family life and friends is much more important.

Huddersfield still to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs amongst others this season. Uhmm, tough choice.

Feel confident Karlan won’t be going straight into the team. So it’s a mute point although I could be wrong.

• Redrobo said:

He'll get the chance to watch some top teams from the stands then
  • Redrobo said:

More chance if finding Shergar and Lord Lucan than Huddersfield staying up, and that's no disrespect to the 'Terriers'. They like Cardiff and, to a lesser extent, Fulham are prime examples of decent, well run clubs that just can't compete with the teams in the top tier.
  • Redrobo said:

Feel confident Karlan won’t be going straight into the team. So it’s a mute point although I could be wrong.

yeah, will be kept out by their first choice strikers who are on fire right now.

• addick05 said:

Redrobo said:

More chance if finding Shergar and Lord Lucan than Huddersfield staying up, and that's no disrespect to the 'Terriers'. They like Cardiff and, to a lesser extent, Fulham are prime examples of decent, well run clubs that just can't compete with the teams in the top tier.
    To be fair to the Huddersfield owner though he doesnt seem the sort to care about keeping them up at all costs ... A bit like Richard Murray in the 98/99 season he knows they'll probably go down yet will still try and keep them up yet at the same time build a Championship side that can challenge for an instant return to the top flight
  • Redrobo said:

yeah, will be kept out by their first choice strikers who are on fire right now.

Before the start of this campaign if anyone had said that Karlan would have been first choice striker and score 14 goals by mid January I think we would have taken it with a pinch of salt. Don’t get me wrong he’s Done brilliantly but 20 odd games in league one is one thing. Stepping up into the Premier League, getting into the team and proving effective is quite another. It’s possible but highly unlikely in my view.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Not such a strange move by Udders if you cast your minds back to Nakki Wells (formerly lower league Bradford) since moved on, a similar type of player to Grant, with youth on his side.
  • Ducahtelet does not care about on pitch performance so he will sell players, regardless of league position, money will always come first. He's been like that for five years, why would he change now?

I agree, but he may change now because his best chance of selling the club at the price he wants is if we get promotion.

He can sell Grant for £2M now or hold on and hope we get promoted, which will increase the value of the club by more than £2M.

There is of course the sell him now option and loan him back to the end of the season.

Huddersfield would be mad if they thought Grant could keep them up.

I'm not certain Messi could keep them up.

Grant is perhaps the sort of player who wouldn't excel in the freezing north, so I would think Brentford might be more his choice.

Let's face it they will both be in The Championship next season and would he prefer London or Huddersfield ?

Money though may well be the deciding factor.
    Maybe offer Grant a new deal?
    We are negotiating with Grant.
  • RedChaser said:

2 million does sound rather a lot for a player out of contract in the summer.

If it happens I wonder if Roland would allow Bowyer to spend 1 million on Eaves.
    Probably not but if he did I'd be ok with it.

I think more likely Roland will pocket the full transfer fee and Bowyer won't even be allowed a loan signing to replace Grant.
    Smyth of QPR being up as his replacement, no?
    I think Smyth is Ajose's replacement, which is why we are waiting.

If Grant goes then we will want someone better and it may have to be a loan.
    So we need to wait as we only have one loan choice.
  • Newsshopper just posted an article, said bowyers had no instructions from above to sell him but it is their call at the end of day. And he did say he hopes and is confident he will be here come feb 1st, but if his head is turned nothing can be done.
  • Redrobo said:

Before the start of this campaign if anyone had said that Karlan would have been first choice striker and score 14 goals by mid January I think we would have taken it with a pinch of salt. Don’t get me wrong he’s Done brilliantly but 20 odd games in league one is one thing. Stepping up into the Premier League, getting into the team and proving effective is quite another. It’s possible but highly unlikely in my view.
    I never suggested that.
  • RedChaser said:
    The thing that doesn’t ring true with me is that their new coach would have no idea who Karlan is and in any case will probably have his own targets in mind. He’s more likely to head to Brentford than Huddersfield, IMO
  • Leuth said:

cafc_se7 said:

I’m not being funny but all this talk of replacing Grant? He has scored 14 league goals? How can you replace that?

To be fair, a lot of those goals were laid on a plate for him by the good players around him. He's fast and gets into good positions but £2m for a player with no first touch wouldn't be the worst deal. I do hope he stays though
    Grant misses many of the chances laid on a plate.

IMO his biggest strength is driving at defenders and shooting on the run.
    He finds space and layoffs from Taylor's movement and guile.

• Not wishing ill health on any of our players but it wouldn't be the worst thing if Karlan got a niggle on his knee/foot/butt in the 94th minute on Saturday. Just enough so that it needs a scan which could be done by the club on...say...next Friday only for it to turn out to be nothing more than bruising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not wishing ill health on any of our players but it wouldn't be the worst thing if Karlan got a niggle on his knee/foot/butt in the 94th minute on Saturday. Just enough so that it needs a scan which could be done by the club on...say...next Friday only for it to turn out to be nothing more than bruising.

Think it's more likely that he will get it in training before the weekend and will then be OK before the end of next week...
  • _MrDick said:

RedChaser said:
    The thing that doesn’t ring true with me is that their new coach would have no idea who Karlan is and in any case will probably have his own targets in mind. He’s more likely to head to Brentford than Huddersfield, IMO
    I'm not sure Bowyer had heard of Purrington. Gallen does the scouting.
    He'd certainly never seen him play because he said so.
  • Do we know if the squad were training yesterday morning?

Saw who at the time I was pretty sure was Grant, with someone else in his car, turning into Floyd Road around 11 - 11.30am.

Didn't think too much of it at the time, but now it might seem a bit more relevant.
  • edited January 2019
    A progressive club would be saying to Karlan we’ll give you an improved contract now and a much improved contract should we get promoted. Should we fail to win promotion then we will listen to offers in the summer and won’t stand in your way. At least this would offer a slim hope of him staying put.

The thing is although we are talking with a Karlan we won’t be offering a deal that makes it easy for him to decide to stay. We’ll offer something far less than what he can get at Brentford and much much less than a Hudds. If the stories are true and there is genuine interest then he would be a mug to stay put.
  • edited January 2019
  • Do we know if the squad were training yesterday morning?

Saw who at the time I was pretty sure was Grant, with someone else in his car, turning into Floyd Road around 11 - 11.30am.

Didn't think too much of it at the time, but now it might seem a bit more relevant.

It was posted above that Grant was at Sparrows Lane training as normal this morning.

Knowing our medical history, the minor medical niggle will turn into a 9 month absence!
  • Oggy Red said:

A progressive club would be saying to Karlan we’ll give you an improved contract now and a much improved contract should we get promoted. Should we fail to win promotion then we will listen to offers in the summer and won’t stand in your way. At least this would offer a slim hope of him staying put.

The thing is although we are talking with a Karlan we won’t be offering a deal that makes it easy for him to decide to stay. We’ll offer something far less than what he can get at Brentford and much much less than a Hudds. If the stories are true and there is genuine interest then he would be a mug to stay put.

My gut feeling, this prospective transfer for Grant has come all too soon for him.

This season the promotion push, playing alongside Taylor and the team spirit driven by Bows & Jacko ..... has given Grant the perfect platform to naturally progress his game.

It's a difficult one for Grant, because before all this transfer talk, he must have been looking forward to the prospect of a promotion medal and 20+ goals this season.

After retirement, that's the stuff a footballer's memories are made of.
    After retirement will he be sitting in a terrace house in Chatham or a mansion deep in the Kent country with his memories ?

Memories are nice. But I suspect to most young men the cash is better.