Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

A progressive club would be saying to Karlan we’ll give you an improved contract now and a much improved contract should we get promoted. Should we fail to win promotion then we will listen to offers in the summer and won’t stand in your way. At least this would offer a slim hope of him staying put.

The thing is although we are talking with a Karlan we won’t be offering a deal that makes it easy for him to decide to stay. We’ll offer something far less than what he can get at Brentford and much much less than a Hudds. If the stories are true and there is genuine interest then he would be a mug to stay put.

My gut feeling, this prospective transfer for Grant has come all too soon for him.

This season the promotion push, playing alongside Taylor and the team spirit driven by Bows & Jacko ..... has given Grant the perfect platform to naturally progress his game.

It's a difficult one for Grant, because before all this transfer talk, he must have been looking forward to the prospect of a promotion medal and 20+ goals this season.

After retirement, that's the stuff a footballer's memories are made of.
    Sadly you can't buy diddly with memories and a play off final runners up medal.

I really hope Grant stays but if an offer comes in, I'm pretty sure he'll be off!
  • Maybe.

But my main point is that Grant has the perfect platform and support this season to progress his own confidence as a goalscorer.

It was always lacking before.

• Lee Bowyer offered no guarantees that Karlan Grant will be a Charlton player on February 1st amid transfer speculation around the striker.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/971251938?-11197:833
  • tbf if we are going to lose a player i'd rather it be Grant than Aribo! Fingers crossed we can keep hold of both though!
  • tbf if we are going to lose a player i'd rather it be Grant than Aribo! Fingers crossed we can keep hold of both though!

Dunno you could argue we're not missing Aribo so much at the moment as we're still winning

If Grant goes we'll need others apart from Taylor to stick it in the net ... Something not done enough this season
  • Remember this

https://talksport.com/football/efl/463598/roland-duchatelet-charlton-athletic-sold-january/

Duchatelet also refused to rule out the possibility of making wholesale player sales during the January transfer window.

Dunno you could argue we're not missing Aribo so much at the moment as we're still winning

If Grant goes we'll need others apart from Taylor to stick it in the net ... Something not done enough this season
    Fair point but I think Aribo is our best player by a serious distance, we are strong in reserve in midfield though
  • If Karlan departs the. We simply must 100% get in at least one striker and probably two in because of Ajose’s loan. There are 17 games (?) left and our best forward is going to miss one third of those. Anything less than a fairly proven frontman and we can forget about promotion. Having said all of that I’m far from convinced we will.

Fair point but I think Aribo is our best player by a serious distance, we are strong in reserve in midfield though
    Think we've been able to cover him by bringing in Williams i.e. He seems a box to box type midfielder himself

Certainly felt thats what we were missing against Barnsley and Coventry
  • Roll on the end of the transfer window!
  • Sponsored links:

• If Karlan departs the. We simply must 100% get in at least one striker and probably two in because of Ajose’s loan. There are 17 games (?) left and our best forward is going to miss one third of those. Anything less than a fairly proven frontman and we can forget about promotion. Having said all of that I’m far from convinced we will.

One Striker would have been in on a permanent basis though...

Else where going to be trying to sign someone who either isnt going to be always in the matchday squad because we're over our quota (cant imagine a the loan club being happy with that) or we're going to be forced to drop another one of the loanees from the matchday squad and so potentially piss them off and so damage any future loan deals we want from them
  • ross1 said:

Lee Bowyer offered no guarantees that Karlan Grant will be a Charlton player on February 1st amid transfer speculation around the striker.

So from reading Bowyers comments, its ultimately down to Grant. He can say no and stay where he is.
  • ross1 said:

Lee Bowyer offered no guarantees that Karlan Grant will be a Charlton player on February 1st amid transfer speculation around the striker.

So from reading Bowyers comments, its ultimately down to Grant. He can say no and stay where he is.
    Guess its also down to Huddersfield though... they've still got to pay what we want for him
  • edited January 2019

ross1 said:

Why would he stay? He could be earning thousands extra per week in a higher division.

A lot of people here were ready to ship him off to Crawley for good last year. Now all of a sudden he’s performing and the same fans expect him to show loyalty.
    Im not saying he should stay, I'm saying he can if he wants to.

I think bowyers comments about him and too him are completely fair but i wouldn't hold it against him to get out now.
  • _MrDick said:

RedChaser said:
    The thing that doesn’t ring true with me is that their new coach would have no idea who Karlan is and in any case will probably have his own targets in mind. He’s more likely to head to Brentford than Huddersfield, IMO
    I'm not sure Bowyer had heard of Purrington. Gallen does the scouting.
    He'd certainly never seen him play because he said so.
    Sorry CE
    Bowyer saw Purrington play for Wimbledon at the Valley a few weeks before we signed him .
  • _MrDick said:

RedChaser said:
    The thing that doesn’t ring true with me is that their new coach would have no idea who Karlan is and in any case will probably have his own targets in mind. He’s more likely to head to Brentford than Huddersfield, IMO
    I'm not sure Bowyer had heard of Purrington. Gallen does the scouting.
    He'd certainly never seen him play because he said so.
    Sorry CE
    Bowyer saw Purrington play for Wimbledon at the Valley a few weeks before we signed him .
    Yeah, but apart from that :smile:
  • ross1 said:

Why is it that RD asks too much money for the club, but lets some players go cheaply?

He doesn't own the players.
  • ross1 said:

Why is it that RD asks too much money for the club, but lets some players go cheaply?

Because he's a clueless twat
  • Sponsored links:

• Who has the better source though?

Cawley who is usually spot on with his Charlton news and will have spoken with Lee Bowyer today

Or Sky Sports who run plenty of transfer stories that dont happen

Has anyone asked JW....😣
  • ross1 said:

Bowyer said:
    “There’s no reason to leave now, why not go score another 14 or 15 goals between now and the end of the season and see what move you can get then?!"

• Mrkinski said:

Roll on the end of the transfer window!

Roll on the end of Douchtwats ownership more like...
  • Charlton boss Lee Bowyer answered numerous questions on the future of Karlan Grant in his pre-Peterborough press conference this morning.

The 21-year-old, who has netted 14 goals this season, has been linked with a move away from the club to teams in the Premier League, Scottish Premier League and Championship.

When asked if he thought Grant would go, Bowyer responded: “It’s a possibility, I’m a realist and I have to be honest. Of course there is a possibility, he’s a good player. He’s a young player scoring goals. Like I said last week, he’s brought attention to himself and rightly so. He’s improved a lot in a short space of time, so of course there is going to be clubs looking at him.

“I hope he doesn’t go, I’ve said that to him on more than one occasion so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully he is still here on February 1st.”

With strike partner Lyle Taylor suspended for three games, Grant’s potential departure would leave the Addicks without their top two goalscorers. Bowyer said: “With Lyle it’s unfortunate with the timing regarding the window and people interested in Karlan. It would hurt us our two strikers, who have got nearly 30 goals between them, might not be playing. Then it would be down to us to try and bring in bodies to replace Karlan if he was to go but I’m confident that he’ll stay.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c49c90237d25/bowyer-on-the-future-of-karlan-grant
  • clive said:

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer answered numerous questions on the future of Karlan Grant in his pre-Peterborough press conference this morning.

The 21-year-old, who has netted 14 goals this season, has been linked with a move away from the club to teams in the Premier League, Scottish Premier League and Championship.

When asked if he thought Grant would go, Bowyer responded: “It’s a possibility, I’m a realist and I have to be honest. Of course there is a possibility, he’s a good player. He’s a young player scoring goals. Like I said last week, he’s brought attention to himself and rightly so. He’s improved a lot in a short space of time, so of course there is going to be clubs looking at him.

“I hope he doesn’t go, I’ve said that to him on more than one occasion so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully he is still here on February 1st.”

With strike partner Lyle Taylor suspended for three games, Grant’s potential departure would leave the Addicks without their top two goalscorers. Bowyer said: “With Lyle it’s unfortunate with the timing regarding the window and people interested in Karlan. It would hurt us our two strikers, who have got nearly 30 goals between them, might not be playing. Then it would be down to us to try and bring in bodies to replace Karlan if he was to go but I’m confident that he’ll stay.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c49c90237d25/bowyer-on-the-future-of-karlan-grant

And Lee Bowyer was confident that LT would have his red card rescinded #JustSaying
  • _MrDick said:

clive said:

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer answered numerous questions on the future of Karlan Grant in his pre-Peterborough press conference this morning.

And Lee Bowyer was confident that LT would have his red card rescinded #JustSaying
    Yeah, but Bowyer is a football manager, not Mystic Meg.
  • Newsshopper just posted an article, said bowyers had no instructions from above to sell him but it is their call at the end of day. And he did say he hopes and is confident he will be here come feb 1st, but if his head is turned nothing can be done.

He was also confident that Taylor's red card would be overturned.

To be fair, if that question had been put to me (regarding Grant going), were I in his place, I would probably have given the same answer.
  • I may be wrong but I am sure Bowyer said earlier this month we wont be weakend.

Any striker coming in on loan now will be Ajose replacement.

So if well sell Grant and Bowyer doesnt get any money to spend we are weaker as we will have lost 2 forwards and brought 1 in.