Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Bubble said:
    He comes from the Sudan
    He's better than Zidane/He fecking hates Rowlan
    Mo Eisa whoh oh oh
    Mo Eisa whoh oh oh
  • Who was it that called Mo Eisa a few weeks back? I got a feeling it might’ve been @Braziliance, if not I apologise.

But it was a great shout at the time and would be delighted if he came in. Much prefer Eisa to Smyth that’s for sure.
  • We can only name 5 loan players am I correct?
  • Eisa linked to Sunderland.
  • We can only name 5 loan players am I correct?

5 in the matchday squad though I think we had 7 at one point under Parkinson to choose 5 from.
  • Bowyer was asked about QPR forward Paul Smyth. He said of the Northern Ireland international: “He’s one of the lads that is on our list. Like I said we have to pick the right person but he’s not the only name. He’s someone that we like. He’s got experience in the Championship and he’s a good player. At the moment he’s at QPR player and we like him but we like a few players and it’s about picking the right one. We’re looking at others as well and we’ll see who we think will be right for us to come in and fit into the group.”
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c49d501c8d2c/bowyer-on-january-transfer-window-plans-and-his-striker-targets
  • Bloody love Bowyer. Honest and straight forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Mo Eisa named after that town on Tatooine?
  • Bows tends to keep names close to his chest in the main.
    Be interesting to see if the two he’s named today are genuine targets or just a back up for a real target
  • Oggy Red said:

Eisa linked to Sunderland.

Maybe ..... but Mo Eisa is from Greenwich.

After spending life away at Bristol and Cheltenham, perhaps he fancies a spell back home with family and friends?

Hes from Khartoum but grew up in Camden.

He played for Greenwich Borough.
  • Bubble said:
    He comes from the Sudan
    He's better than Zidane/He fecking hates Rowlan
    Mo Eisa whoh oh oh
    Mo Eisa whoh oh oh
    Good but it's not Hal David.

Which always makes me think of Hal 9000 saying "I'm sorry Dave, I am afraid I can't do that"
  • How about we sell Grant to Huddersfield, they loan him straight back to us for the rest of the season and we use the funds to by Eaves?

Possibly a short term view and it would never happen with RD in charge but would make us stronger for the rest of this season...
  • Scoham said:

Remember this

https://talksport.com/football/efl/463598/roland-duchatelet-charlton-athletic-sold-january/

Duchatelet also refused to rule out the possibility of making wholesale player sales during the January transfer window.

Is that up to him?
  • edited January 2019
    sam3110 said:

Can someone please explain to me why someone would buy a player 6 months before the end of his contract, just to loan him back to that team, when they can just wait til the summer and get him for free?

If they want him that badly, he'll sign for them and bloody play

By taking him now they avoid a dog fight in the summer.

Right now there have been five or six clubs come out as rumoured to want him this window.

By the summer, that will be 20+ Championship clubs, a few PL clubs and some interest from abroad too no doubt. You’re looking at 40-50 clubs at that point.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Can someone please explain to me why someone would buy a player 6 months before the end of his contract, just to loan him back to that team, when they can just wait til the summer and get him for free?

Right now there have been five or six clubs come out as rumoured to want him this window.

By the summer, that will be 20+ Championship clubs, a few PL clubs and some interest from abroad too no doubt. You’re looking at 40-50 clubs at that point.
    If I was him I would wait and let the 40-50 clubs get into a bidding war over wages. Hope he sees it that way
  • sam3110 said:

He came through the youth, signed a contract and is U24 so is not free in the summer but subject to tribunal I think. Maybe they think securing him now rather than vagaries of more competition and paying anyway..?
  • I believe the Premier League have limited U23 compensation to £350k because most of their members are so hard up.
  • sam3110 said:

40 or 50 clubs wanting to sign Grant ?? You must be joking right. He has had a good 4 months in League 2 & a good 6 mths in League 1. Whilst we would undoubtedly miss him if he left next week he is hardly Michael Owen.

Some of you need to get a grip.
    I think you need a reality check if you think that there wouldn’t be at least that many clubs across Europe that show interest.

Signing a 21 year old English striker who’s just scored 20 league goals in a calendar year, you’d be bonkers to pass him up. He could be worth a small fortune in 12-24 months.
  • I believe the Premier League have limited U23 compensation to £350k because most of their members are so hard up.

Scudamore's leaving bonus has got to come from somewhere.
  • edited January 2019
    As an example.

Britt Assombalonga scored 23 goals in 43 games in League One in the 2013/14 season.

That summer he was sold for 5m potentially rising to 8m depending on performance. That was five years ago and since then the transfer market has exploded.

If Karlan was on a four year contract right now rather than a six month deal, his market value would be 10m plus. Any club could be picking him up for free in the summer and you think that you wouldn’t have 40-50 teams that don’t at least get in touch with his agent?

You could sign him on a free and if you really wanted to, turn around and sell him to a rival for a decent seven figure sum a couple of weeks later (dependant on player registration rules). I don’t know anyone on the planet who wouldn’t be interested in that.
  • edited January 2019

As an example.

Britt Assombalonga scored 23 goals in 43 games in League One in the 2013/14 season.

That summer he was sold for 5m potentially rising to 8m depending on performance. That was five years ago and since then the transfer market has exploded.

If Karlan was on a four year contract right now rather than a six month deal, his market value would be 10m plus. Any club could be picking him up for free in the summer and you think that you wouldn’t have 40-50 teams that don’t at least get in touch with his agent?

You could sign him on a free and if you really wanted to, turn around and sell him to a rival for a decent seven figure sum a couple of weeks later (dependant on player registration rules). I don’t know anyone on the planet who wouldn’t be interested in that.

I can accept £2m is a lower valuation due to his expiring contract but 40-50 teams? Given Huddersfield are the only Premier League team showing interest and they are Premier League in name only for a few more weeks where do the other 49 teams outside of the Premier League come from?

Also there's no way someone will sign him on a free then sell him two weeks later. It's not as though we did that with Lyle Taylor, nobody would do that.

I saw someone post on here that Grant is very close to his family and even lives at home still, can we completely rule Grant out of signing a new deal maybe with a clause that says he can leave if we don't get promoted at the end of the season?
  • The point made about selling him within two weeks wasn’t meant to be taken literally. Of course no one would do that, it was more to make a point regarding the addition of an eight figure asset to your playing staff for free.

I firmly believe that there would be at least 20 Championship clubs interested. Add to that, five to eight Premier League clubs who would take him on a free transfer with a view to loaning him out to the Championship for a season.

On top of that, a further 10+ from abroad if you look at Bordeaux coming in for Maja at Sunderland and then there’s German clubs wanting as many young English talents as they can possibly get.