Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Bowyer can not let grant go unless he has a replacement in place that's just as good or even better if we get 2 million for him hopefully and I mean hopefully Roland might give him a million to spend on a striker but I won't hold my breath or I will definitely die
  • Losing Grant will be a huge blow. 2 million covers running costs for 2 months. Not getting promotion could cost Roland £10m and we're running out of players to sell...
  • FAVADDICK said:

Bowyer can not let grant go unless he has a replacement in place that's just as good or even better if we get 2 million for him hopefully and I mean hopefully Roland might give him a million to spend on a striker but I won't hold my breath or I will definitely die

Never understand this argument. If there is a replacement that is better than Grant for less than £2m then why aren't Huddersfield et al chasing him instead !!!!

Some of you need to calm down & take a chill pill. Grant won't be leaving....LB assured us that weeks ago.
  • Roland playing the short game yet again. Covering running costs but not thinking about the potential upside of promotion.
    Good luck to Karlan if he does get the move, a year ago I wouldn’t of believed anyone if they said Grant would be going to a relegated Prem team for £2m.
    Big problem is we won’t get a adequate replacement in and could well derail us. Was looking like such a good window a week ago
  • Let’s have it right, Roland hasn’t done anything yet regarding Grant, and bowyer said he doesn’t expect anyone of significance to leave. Bowyer is not Robinson, his comments have substance, let’s see.
  • FAVADDICK said:

Bowyer can not let grant go unless he has a replacement in place that's just as good or even better if we get 2 million for him hopefully and I mean hopefully Roland might give him a million to spend on a striker but I won't hold my breath or I will definitely die

Never understand this argument. If there is a replacement that is better than Grant for less than £2m then why aren't Huddersfield et al chasing him instead !!!!

Some of you need to calm down & take a chill pill. Grant won't be leaving....LB assured us that weeks ago.
    Well Bolton bought Magennis from us whilst we picked up Taylor on a free
  • We will end up losing Grant on deadline day, get in the bloke from QPR who has barely played professional football, scrape 6th place and lose comfortably over 2 legs in the Play-Off Semis. There is no fairytale with the yellow toothed prick still at the helm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:

Bowyer and Gallen will have a gem lined up...................Hopefully

@Redhenry lined up to replace Grant or in addition to?
  • Leuth said:

cafc_se7 said:

I’m not being funny but all this talk of replacing Grant? He has scored 14 league goals? How can you replace that?

To be fair, a lot of those goals were laid on a plate for him by the good players around him. He's fast and gets into good positions but £2m for a player with no first touch wouldn't be the worst deal. I do hope he stays though
    Were you on a wind up yesterday @Leuth , words fail me lol

Ruud Van Nistelrooy made a living out of just tapping it in and countless others, this just shows Grant is getting in the right place and he is a goalscorer. Granted (Pun intended) his shooting can improve but to say they are all tap ins and its down to everyone around him is just laughable.

KG and Lyle complement each other perfect, if KG moves on then he could struggle to find a better partner to play with.

With regards to there are more complete players have a word, Lyle yes all the others are playing in a completely different position and i understand what you are saying but there is no comparison really its like comparing someone to a keeper. Generally his all round game is pretty solid, he isn't the sort of player to hold up the ball and win the ball in the air so yes he isn't quite the complete player but for his position alongside someone who is more of a target man he fits the position perfect and would be difficult to replace.

KG + Lyle need to play together for as long as possible
  • People on here saying its Roland of course he will sell him, he will pocket the money and other shit.

Remember if Roland does that he will have to knock money off from his asking price as he will have sold one of the assets if the club, that would basically be cutting his nose to spite his face and then if we dont get promoted his asking price will de value even more, so take £2M now and risk losing £6M/7M from asking price or dont take the £2M now and with promotion your asking price would go up in value.

We all know he only cares about the money so surely from his point of view to get more money Grant has to stay

None of that stopped him selling Konsa last year, which infuriated the Aussies by all accounts.
  • edited January 2019
    On the Grant situation, it's funny how at January 2018 we would never have dreamt that he would go for that money and we wouldn't of cared.

But going on how he's matured and the player he is now, I would hate to lose him in our promotion chase BUT if £2million helps us secure a few more players to strengthen the whole team, then it may not be bad business if Grant went for nominal with no contract at the end of the season. We could get a good league one striker for 500k-1mill. Then maybe another winger and we should be fine. Keep Clarke and hope he works well with Taylor and possibly that QPR youngster as back up.
  • We, like almost all clubs are a selling club. People are upset with our losses and debt but also upset with potential sales. RD deserves most of the flak that goes his way but at times like this I also do wonder why anyone would want to own a football club.

I would keep Grant if possible as he is crucial to our top two combination and promotion chances and having come through the Youth and being U24 and in his first proper season or pro footy a) I would like to think compensation at seasons end would not be far off that anyway (assuming he stays in a England) plus b) I would have thought he would have enough loyalty for us giving him the chance not to throw a strop.

If I was him I may also be minded to stay, good chance of a promotion/possible Wembley trip, great team atmosphere, near friends and family etc - he must have a very nice life currently. Sure he could likely hugely increase his wages by leaving but similarly if he stays to seasons end he can do that anyway through leaving then or a new contract with us if we are promoted.

I am yet to be convinced he could make it at the top end of the Championship but to be fair he stepped up from L2 to L1 very easily so hopefully for him he can make the next transition.

I am more surprised someone like Fosu and Bauer are not being hawked around with contracts up, no compensation at year end, little chance of them renewing etc.
  • On the Grant situation, it's funny how at January 2018 we would never have dreamt that he would go for that money and we wouldn't of cared.

But going on how he's matured and the player he is now, I would hate to lose him in our promotion chase BUT if £2million helps us secure a few more players to strengthen the whole team, then it may not be bad business if Grant went for nominal with no contract at the end of the season. We could get a good league one striker for 500k-1mill. Then maybe another winger and we should be fine. Keep Clarke and hope he works well with Taylor and possibly that QPR youngster as back up.

£2million isn't worthwhile, if it reduces our chance of automatics / promotion then effectively we might aswell just lose him and sign a striker worst case....
  • On the Grant situation, it's funny how at January 2018 we would never have dreamt that he would go for that money and we wouldn't of cared.

We need strikers in the team so losing grant is bad. Our midfield is already very strong. Sorry to sound negative but RD won’t give us any players other than a loan. He won’t spend anything on new players.
  • No deal for Smyth before the weekend but he is a target...

• Valley11 said:

Redhenry said:

Replace
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:

Valley11 said:

Redhenry said:

Replace
    No names about at all then mate??
  • edited January 2019
    Redhenry said:

Valley11 said:

Redhenry said:

Replace
    And there you have it from a creditable source Smyth for Grant.
  • on the breaking news ticker on Sky Sports News now
  • loan replacement
  • edited January 2019
    Never underestimate the warped mind of the Douchbag. As I said a bird in the hand is worth two in bush with running costs for the rest of the season to be covered.
  • Redhenry said:

loan replacement

We have one loan spot left and already need a striker without Grant going :tired_face:
  • This is grim
  • The speed it’s movingg at will we even see Grant on Saturday?
  • The speed it’s movingg at will we even see Grant on Saturday?

They won't allow him to play just incase of injury