Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Addickted said:

Great.

So we're selling Grant in the next week or so, Taylor is out for three weeks, Ajose has gone on loan to Mansfield, Hackett-Fairchild is too inexperienced to be dropped into a pressure situation and both Clarke and Vetokele are very, very doubtful because of their fitness.

There is only one answer to this quandary.

Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr

How could you possibly forget Wilberforce? Cometh the hour, cometh the man with an even better name.
  • edited January 2019

Would someone really offer 2 million for him now when they can get him in the summer and just pay compensation due to his age. I'd be reluctant if I was sanctioning that deal.

He’d be worth more than 20m this time next year if he scored 20+ goals in the Championship in 2019.

He’s young, he’s English and he’s a goalscorer. You USUALLY pay a massive premium for all three of those in one player.

Unfortunately we don’t have much of a bargaining position for the reasons you outline. However in this transfer market, Karlan is well worth a 2m punt (because that’s what 2m is to most Championship clubs these days) to secure him six months early.

Added to this...

When did Karlan last sign a contract with us? If a team comes along and offers to more than triple his wages then it’s a no brainer.
  • Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

I can understand Grant wanting to go, or at least being open to the option. I can understand the club willing to sell him for the right price. Given our current status, every player, unfortunately, has a price. But that 1.5-2m, just feels low to me compared to market value. The problem is, he has six months to run on his contract, so it's very possible that it's 1.5-2m now, or nothing in six months' time.

The real mistake here won't be in the selling of Grant itself. It's entirely possible that would happen under any owner. The problem will be not having tied him down to a longer term contract in the summer or the autumn, thus locking in a higher value for him. And then the other problem will presumably be in not bringing in a replacement that's up to his level (which would be very difficult to do).

I don't want him to go, but £1.5 to £2m sounds fair for a player with 6 months on his contract, who until this season had never done it at L1 level, and only scored 2 goals for the club
    This. I don't think the Club can afford to turn this down. Although the Club should have offered a new contract earlier.
    'The club'

As if Roland will put any of the money back into 'the club.'
  • Karlan has had a good season and is playing well

I do suspect though that it's the presence of Taylor which is creating a lot of those chances, his movement attracts defenders, creating space for him. I have a little bit of sympathy for Nicky Ajose in this respect, if HE had started the season with a run of games alongside Taylor, he would probably be in double figures for the season, Taylor is that good.

Well if that’s the case would you be happy with recalling Ajose?

Is it even an option?

I suspect most supporters would not be overly satisfied with that outcome

I do suspect though that it's the presence of Taylor which is creating a lot of those chances, his movement attracts defenders, creating space for him. I have a little bit of sympathy for Nicky Ajose in this respect, if HE had started the season with a run of games alongside Taylor, he would probably be in double figures for the season, Taylor is that good.

Well if that’s the case would you be happy with recalling Ajose?

Is it even an option?

I suspect most supporters would not be overly satisfied with that outcome
    But if Ajose had been first choice, and Karlan reserve, maybe Karlan would have been the disinterested one, wanting to leave? It's not as if last summer everyone particularly wanted either Grant or Ajose as a first choice striker
  • The amount of apparent interest in him.... I’d be gobsmacked if he’s still here at the end of January

I do suspect though that it's the presence of Taylor which is creating a lot of those chances
    , his movement attracts defenders, creating space for him. I have a little bit of sympathy for Nicky Ajose in this respect, if HE had started the season with a run of games alongside Taylor, he would probably be in double figures for the season, Taylor is that good.

Who was playing with him when he was scoring goals at Crawley though?

From what i've read, i think it's more of an attitude thing. Grant said that when he was loaned out last season it was a case of 'if i don't perform now in league 2 where will i end up', he knuckled down and got his act together. Before when he was getting games for us at 17/18 he had a bit of an 'i've made it' attitude when that really wasn't the case. Dropping to league 2 made him sort himself out.
  • robroy said:

Now getting text messages from Brentford mates asking about him. We have become a feeder club to Brentford of all clubs. Cheers Roland

I hope you've told them to fuck off!
  • Sponsored links:

• The ONLY circumstance where you can text someone to ask them about a player is if their team is in the same or a higher league
  • Being linked with Middlesbrough and West Brom now.
  • Leuth said:

robroy said:

Now getting text messages from Brentford mates asking about him. We have become a feeder club to Brentford of all clubs. Cheers Roland

I hope you've told them to fuck off!
    He did the same with Gomez. I told him to fck off and get the Arsenal tattoo removed from his forearm before he changed to Brentford.

I have set my heart on him going so I am not disappointed when he does.
  • Cardiff are preparing a £2m offer for Sunderland's Josh Maja, but the Black Cats want £4m for their 20-year-old striker. (Sun)

Looks like he's set to sign for Bordeaux... £3.5m

Now he's English / Out of Contract in the summer and has just one more league goal than Karlan

We should definitely be looking for more than £2m if we were to sell in the next few days!!!
  • How RD can even consider selling instead of giving Karlan a considerable pay rise is beyond me. A sensible businessman surely signs him down to a long term contract (3 years+ etc) on a pretty decent pay hike (6-8k) but makes it clear is a reasonable offer comes in over the summer, you will let him go (you have history, it's not hard to believe you!). If you are looking to sell, surely a sell-able asset of a 22yr old striker with hopefully by then 20+ goals from a now Championship Striker, fresh from a promotion winning season easily fetches 10m+ in today's market. letting him go for 2m is insulting
  • Brentford are eleven points off drop zone and 12 points off 6th ie going nowhere this season. So Karlan would be silly to move in this window. Sit him down with a new improved contract, a signing-on fee and a get out value which would allow him to go in the summer if we don't go up. At the moment he is looking at a trip to Wembley minimum, and a League Winners medal at best.

Despite the doom and gloom above we are possibly missing the idea of Fosu replacing him. Poor this season as a withdrawn number ten, but will be a different player on the shoulder of the last man.
  • CAFCDAZ said:

How RD can even consider selling instead of giving Karlan a considerable pay rise is beyond me. A sensible businessman surely signs him down to a long term contract (3 years+ etc) on a pretty decent pay hike (6-8k) but makes it clear is a reasonable offer comes in over the summer, you will let him go (you have history, it's not hard to believe you!). If you are looking to sell, surely a sell-able asset of a 22yr old striker with hopefully by then 20+ goals from a now Championship Striker, fresh from a promotion winning season easily fetches 10m+ in today's market. letting him go for 2m is insulting

I agree with everything you say.
    Unfortunately I do not own Charlton a deluded Shitweasel does and there is the problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• We haven't even said we are selling, its all just guesswork.

rinse repeat until end of the Month, personally i think he will stay but the only thing that worries me he has under 6 months left and so do a few players. Hopefully if someone is seriously looking at the club (i dont read that thread) they will have a say in who is sold and keeping any assets.
  • We can rule Grant leaving then, especially if they claim it’s within 48 hours.
  • Paul Smyth from QPR being linked by talksport
  • FAVADDICK said:

Paul Smyth from QPR being linked by talksport

Who he ?

• FAVADDICK said:

Paul Smyth from QPR being linked by talksport

Talksport own Charlton by the sound of it - telling us Roland is selling, telling us Grant has gone, and telling us who we are signing. Maybe that's the Aussie link - Murdoch!
  • Plays for Northern Ireland too so another chance of getting the Wycombe (?) game called off