Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Options
    Just backed Anibale Fly ew .
    Absolutely no idea why.
    I know less about horse racing than Roland does about running a football club. 
  • Options
    The Value Burglar Summary

SUMMARY ROI +0.29%

Returning bets: 11/58  
    Strike Rate: 18.97%
    Wins/Places: 4/7

£610 / 61pts staked
    £611.75 / 61.175pts returned

+ £1.75 / +0.175pts overall

Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yoGvnj6sgmsU7vVEqtM67Q5cGLwOE-mNRoKySA1O5b0/edit?usp=sharing 

https://twitter.com/ValueBurglar 
  • Options
    in those big fields that why leading at the front usually ends up winning carnage in every race horses falling and hampering others
  • Options
    Thankfully that's funnier, in a good way, than the previous summaries! Not even up the price of a meal deal though :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I make time of Topham 5m 33s (12 secs slow of standard)
    Not much Soft in that ground I reckon. Riding predominantly GS.
    Official time 5m 31.2s (10.2 seconds slow) - riding like genuine GS in my book.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    For what it's worth, the Racing Post Predictor tool forecasts:

1. Tiger Roll
    2. Anibale Fly
    3. Ramses De Teillee
    4. Jury Duty
    5. Rathvinden
    6. Dounikos

Spotlight naps Joe Farrell
  • Options
    Fancy Joe Farrell, ran a cracker last time.
    Apple's Jade in the stayers.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Geraghty out - broken leg. Mark Walsh expected to switch from Regal Encore to ride  Anibale Fly.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Confirmed going dried out to GS today. Watering landing side of fences.
    Goimg to ride quicker still tomorrow - effectively mix of GS and Good.
    Promotes Vintage Clouds' and Joe Farrell's chances (and Singlefarmpayment's of placing).
    Not helpful for Ramses De Teillee or General Principle but certainly doesn't rule them out.
  • Options
    I am a disciple of the God that is @PeanutsMolloy and have invested accordingly.

However I like to try to pick (unsuccessfully generally) some of my own too.

Therefore horses to avoid:

Go Conquer

Jury Duty

Captain Redbeard

I have accepted @bobmunro's kind offer of 10 places on these three and if one comes in costs are covered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rathvinden won the virtual National
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LenGlover said:
    I am a disciple of the God that is @PeanutsMolloy and have invested accordingly.

However I like to try to pick (unsuccessfully generally) some of my own too.

Therefore horses to avoid:

Go Conquer

Jury Duty

Captain Redbeard

I have accepted @bobmunro's kind offer of 10 places on these three and if one comes in costs are covered.
    You're too kind @LenGlover  but that's a little bit OTT......I mean .........Captain Redbeard?  😁

PS you and @Len\'s_little_girl do pretty damn well without any help from me. 
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Fancy William Henry @ 12/1 in 3.40 tomorrow he smashed it at Cheltenham so should go well at a price lads
  • Options
    My final slip is:

Vintage Clouds
    Dounikos
    Joe Farrell

• Options
    Just a fiver each way on Jury Duty
  • Options
    Today's team:

Ramses De Teillee 
    Vintage Clouds
    Rock The Kasbah 
    General Principle
    Joe Farrell

I've put a saver - hopefully - on Tiger Roll, and a couple of quid on Bless The Wings (one of my favourite horses, sentimental), but they don't quite count in terms of actual betting!

Tips for the rest of the card (which ain't great) to follow. Good luck one and all! 
  • Options
    Mine basically follow Peanuts but I also fancied Minnelli Rocco and the wife wanted One for Arthur so the others are;
    1. RDT: 33-1
    2. General Principle: 33-1
    3. Joe Farrell: 50-1
    4. Single farm payment: 50-1
    5. Folsom Blue: 50-1
    6. Bless the wings: 150-1........all each way, 5 or 6 places
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    A lot of sunshine (no rain) forecast for all of today at Aintree.
    No question that, despite the going starting Soft yesterday morning, it was genuine Good to Soft by 4pm for the Topham.
    Watering just the landing areas means that it is definitely going to ride quick-ish by 5.15pm - no doubt the official going will remain "Good to Soft".
    As said yesterday, that's not the best news for RDT or General Principle (among others) but certainly doesn't rule them out as regards their stat-profiles. But it's excellent news for Vintage Clouds and Joe Farrell (among others, including the bonkers Singlefarmpayment - still available at 66/1).
    And here's a little factlet for you to chew on, given that 5 of the top 6 in the market are Irish-trained:

Since 2013 (when fence and distance alterations took effect), there have been 4 GNs run on GS or quicker (as today) and 2 run on Soft or softer:

First 6 home in terms of where trained:
    • Of 24 finishing 1~6 on Gd/GS: 19 Brit [79% from 74% of runners] (incl all 4 winners), 5 Irish [21% from 26%]
    • Of 12 finishing 1~6 on Sft/Hvy: 10 Irish [83% from 39% of runners] (incl both winners), 2 Brit [17% from 61% of runners]
    Clearly, on decent ground it's broadly gone with representation. On Soft~Hvy, the Irish have big advantage.
    Sheer weight of numbers may tell in favour of the Irish today. Even excl the 2 sold on Thursday, Irish-trained runners are 45% of the field today (the highest % in living memory, possibly ever). So they clearly have a great chance of grabbing the prize despite the going not playing to their particular strength.
    Nonetheless, though the Irish have had 4 runners-up, all 9 GNs from 2008 run on Good or GS were won by British-trained horses (and arguably it was misfortune that prevented a Brit winner in 2007).
    Perhaps there are some over-priced opportunities among the home team.

PS. Unibet offering 7 places 

• Options
    Tiger roll out to 5s on betway 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1.45- Nestor Park- EW

2.25- Brewinupastorm

3.00- Lalor

3.40- Apples Jade

4.20- Kildisart EW

5.15- Vintage Clouds EW

Joe Farrell EW

Minella Rocco EW

Captain Redbeard EW

6.20- Nietzsche EW

Yankee EW

Brewinupastorm

Apples Jade

Kildisart

Nietzsche

• Options

PS. Unibet offering 7 places 

PS Unibet don't count. They will chin you after any significant win, and make it very very difficult to withdraw funds.
  • Options
    So many have chances but one I like at a price is Valseur Lido. Faded into 8th last year but has better going and almost a stone lighter. Can’t desert Regal Encore either.
  • Options
    Put some small e/w on ultragold, vintage cloud and Joe Farrell.  Does anyone know When does that abolitionist bet get recredited using skybet?
  • Options
    Always go for a horse with a double letter in its name.
  • Options
    Walk in the Mill and Ramses de Teilee for me
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited April 2019
    Love The Peanuts Grand National, top 5 days of the year. Good luck to all you Addicks. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    https://valueburglar.wordpress.com/2019/04/06/grand-national-preview/

Grand National Preview

Here we go. One of my favourite days in the sporting calendar. This is The Big One. I’ll be having a bet; you’ll be having a bet; the postman will have a tip; your nan will pick one on the colours for 50p each way; Big Dave down the pub will have a tenner on the favourite (… fair enough this year) and celebrate if it wins with a massive bit of chang acquired with the profits. We know what’s up.

However, there are some Internet luminaries that I tend to turn to for the Grand National. Well, I say some, I mean two luminaries. (Plus myself, but in no way am I a luminary!) And conveniently, they can both be found in the most unfashionable of online backwaters…

For it is time for a confession. I am, for many sins in a past life, a Charlton Athletic fan – and a pretty devoted one at that. And it is on the Charlton Life football forum that the greatest of all Grand National gurus resides. His name is PeanutsMolloy, and he seemingly spends his entire year in front of spreadsheets, form guides, race replays, and joins the infinite dots to create a clear picture of the GN. Imagine Charlie from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but accurate:

“But just LOOK at Double Honour’s 2005 run until he unseated, and…”

Please find the thread here, as it’s genuinely wonderful reading.

The second luminary on that board is a different prospect altogether. I’ve never seen him post anything about football, and I genuinely think he just uses Charlton Life as an outlet for horse racing. The various posters do offer some fantastic insight by and large, but when someone’s on there only to talk about having a lash on handicaps, you pay attention. That man is PolzeathNick, who – unless I’m sorely mistaken – probably is the owner of the Polzeath Ratings blog. He doesn’t post much, but it’s definitely worth a follow here

But that’s enough of that. Sung praises are all very well and good but let’s get to the meat. I must confess I’m following the thread pretty religiously, as my only thoughts would have been Baie Des Iles until scratched, and Rock The Kasbah is hardly original tipping material. Let’s get to the contenders I’ll be advising, and all credit to Charlton Life if we get returns:

Ramses De Teillee @ 28/1 – 0.75pts e/w (Will Hill, 1/5 1-6). Peanuts’ explanation is on P6 of the thread. Read it.

General Principle @ 50/1 – 0.5pts e/w (generally 1/5 1-6). Explanation on P6 as well.

Jury Duty @ 16/1 – 0.5pts e/w (Coral, Betfred, Black Type, 1/5 1-6). PolzeathNick’s got a good preview on P5.

All of these guys have live chances. Let’s hope we get ours by around 5.45pm today!

:D 
    Very funny @PaddyP17
    Cheers

I have to confess, there's more than a little trepidation about my new model's debut but hey ho - let's see.