Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Yes !!!

Had Tiger Roll £2.50 e/w (betting slip shows €1.25). Took sp with William Hill. Tv had it at 4-1 do I'm assuming that's £6.

Also had Livelovelaugh too.....but not sure where he finished as I think WH pay top 6. 
    Unless I am mistaken, are you the financial adviser chap?
    Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?
    To be fair to @golfaddick Tiger Roll went out to 9/2 just before the race. Not a massive potential each way profit if it was placed rather than won but a profit nevertheless.
    Pretty much all bookies are 1/5 of the odds, so 9/2 place would be a small loss.
  • Options
    Yes !!!

Had Tiger Roll £2.50 e/w (betting slip shows €1.25). Took sp with William Hill. Tv had it at 4-1 do I'm assuming that's £6.

Also had Livelovelaugh too.....but not sure where he finished as I think WH pay top 6. 
    Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?
    Because I know nothing about horse racing & didn't even look at the odds. Just heard he was one of the favourites & with The Masters next week thought a horse with the word Tiger in its name was a bit of a give a way.

Also, being the GN he was as likely to fall at the first as to win it. 

And I realise now, being a financial adviser, that I in fact won £5 & not £6. So got my stake money back & that's it. 
    You should have received something for the win element of your bet too.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Yes !!!

Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?
    Because I know nothing about horse racing & didn't even look at the odds. Just heard he was one of the favourites & with The Masters next week thought a horse with the word Tiger in its name was a bit of a give a way.

And I realise now, being a financial adviser, that I in fact won £5 & not £6. So got my stake money back & that's it. 
    You should have received something for the win element of your bet too.
    As I've said, I have no idea about horserace betting & not been back to William Hills to collect my winnings so no idea what I've actually won.

I staked £5 in total. 2 horses, so £2.50 on each. Betting slip shows £1.25 on both so I assume the stake was halved because it was an e/w bet. 

All I know is that is the first time in over 30 years that I've actually won anything. Only bet about 5 times in all that time mind. Last time a few years ago I didn't realise that betting tax had been abolished. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Yes !!!

Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?
    To be fair to @golfaddick Tiger Roll went out to 9/2 just before the race. Not a massive potential each way profit if it was placed rather than won but a profit nevertheless.
    Pretty much all bookies are 1/5 of the odds, so 9/2 place would be a small loss.
    I had 1/4 myself with Bob's lot so thought others would be similar.

As Tiger Roll won he should be up overall but I agree that with odds of 1/5 9/2 would mean a loss for place only.
  • Options
    Yes !!!

Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?
    Warning: The value of odds may go down as well as up.
  • Options
    Never believe a word that bloke says but do hope for once he speaks the truth. Certainly don't want to see Rummys record and definitely not to a horse associated to him! 
  • Options
    Can only see Tiger Roll improving. He'll be even shorter next year if he runs again and has decent form as probably expected.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Can only see Tiger Roll improving. He'll be even shorter next year if he runs again and has decent form as probably expected.
    Is that what they call "running into the ground..."  :smiley:
  • Options
    Yes !!!

Why E/W on a 4/1 shot?

It's horse racing and not an episode of Midsomer Murders! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    If anyone doesn’t trust o Leary’s word, skybet are non runner no bet on grand national with tiger roll at 6/1 

crap grand national for me - not even a Place!

aside from that was up overall for the 3 days kildisart a nice winner on Saturday. 

Roll on punchestown and then the wait for the jumps to come back! 
  • Options
    Unfortunately the Grand National has become just another staying chase. While it is great that horses are no longer at any more risk than in any other jumps race it has to be said that the race is not the spectacle that it once was. I can see its popularity waning in years to come, especially if further modifications are made such as reducing the field size. 
    On another note, as great as Tiger Roll is his achievement in winning back to back Nationals comes nowhere near the achievements of Red Rum, as it was far more difficult to win the race in his day. 

this, when you look at the speed horses now go over the fences it is much easier - i don't like to see horses hurt or die, but it is no longer the same race which it once was, as for the race and visiting it, been there and done it its certainly something i wanted to tick off but do not think i would bother again, have already got my tickets for weds and thurs at cheltenham next year and may take in the dublin racing festival aswell, planning on doing the tingle creek at sandown in december also
  • Options
    Tingle Creek is a good meeting also the final day of the jumps season at Sandown is good. Even though I'm not a flat racing fan I'd like to go to the Arc and Breeders Cup. As regards the National Peanuts is spot on and it is just a top staying handicap chase now. And my rather sad infatuation with Rummy is that yes the National was far harder back in the day so will always put him way above Tiger Roll........ Plus in 1974 Rummy did win the Scottish National straight after winning the National I don't see Tiger Roll turning up next week at Ayr for the Scottish National..........no comparison. Will also add its been a long time in the National that this year you could see who the winner was with a circuit to go
  • Options
    not taking anything away from tiger roll but the love in of Gordan Elliot and the comment of his horses always turn up - absolute rubbish

hardline
    apples jade
    delta work 
    battleoverdoyen
    commander of fleet
    dallas des pictons

all beaten gigginstown/elliot favourites at cheltenham

a lot argue that the millions pumped into Irish racing by o'leary should be appreciated. 

there is a video online of the flight back to Dublin from Liverpool this Saturday and him giving out 2 free drinks, a nice gesture but the flight was delayed by an hour and it cost him max about £1400.00 this is a man that is worth 868 million pounds. 

• Options
    @PeanutsMolloy Thanks for this thread and your picks. I broke even and had a good time doing it!

Some years ago I asked you a boring question (that you kindly said was not boring). It was basically whether your model could ever be over-modified... Say if you adjust it one year based on the results, but the results were because of anomalies, and so your model becomes less accurate. You said that it was not likely since you tried not to include things that were clear anomalies. 

As a follow-up, I was just wondering whether you ever run the stats post-race based on older versions of your model, to see how they would have fared? And when you adjust your model do you do it on an exclusionary basis (excluding horses that won't win) or inclusionary, or both? 

Forgive the boring questions again. Just find it interesting.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'm no @PeanutsMolloy but  I have never seen so many buckets of water thrown over a horse Before it got back to the winners enclosure. Was that to cool Tiger Roll down ? He was nearly drowned.

Red Rum won his 1st National because Mr Crisp ridden by Richard Pitman was carrying 12 stone and Red Rum 10 stone 5 !
    No wonder Red Rum came back from 15 lengths down at the last fence.

By the time Red Rum won his 3rd GN in 1977 his weight was 11st 7. (Still the fastest time?)

As Tiger Roll is a smaller horse than RR, and twice stumbled on the 2nd circuit, with even more weight next year I hope O'Leary is good to his word and doesn't run him.

Tiger Roll is already a legend.
  • Options
    I'm no @PeanutsMolloy but  I have never seen so many buckets of water thrown over a horse Before it got back to the winners enclosure. Was that to cool Tiger Roll down ? He was nearly drowned.

Red Rum won his 1st National because Mr Crisp ridden by Richard Pitman was carrying 12 stone and Red Rum 10 stone 5 !

By the time Red Rum won his 3rd GN in 1977 his weight was 11st 7. (Still the fastest time?)

As Tiger Roll is a smaller horse than RR, and twice stumbled on the 2nd circuit, with even more weight next year I hope O'Leary is good to his word and doesn't run him.

Crisp has to be the greatest horse never to actually win the Grand National unless anyone else knows different.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LenGlover said:

Crisp has to be the greatest horse never to actually win the Grand National unless anyone else knows different.
    The reason I remember the Mr Crisp v Red Rum race so clearly was not only was it a quick time like all RR winning GN wins but my Dad is now in his 90's and reminds my Mum every year about how his winning bet on Mr Crisp was snatched away by a horse carrying 23 pound less !( He can't remember what he did yesterday though, bless him !)

You are spot on  Len about Mr Crisp and I wonder how many times Pitman dreams or has nightmares about the run in of that classic encounter. (Pitman never won the GN)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Question for @PeanutsMolloy.

As Tiger Roll won with 11st 1 this year which was 9 pound higher than last year,
    would the handicapper give him 11.8 or 11.10 next year if he was to go for the hat trick ?
  • Options
    Another Question for peanuts

You have mentioned the fact that a much higher Handicap mark is now required just to get in the race. But what is the trend with the winners Handicap mark as 151 & 159 for the last two years tends to suggest its rising. 

I'm guessing that comparing Red Rums handicap marks to Tigers is like comparing Nobby Stiles to Luca Modric?
  • Options
    As regards weight Red Rum had to carry 12stone to victory in 1974 and gave 24lbs to other horses so I wouldn't use the weight as the excuse for Crisp getting beaten. More like Crisp was a 2m-2m4f horse not a 4 mile plus horse so stamina had a lot to do with it plus the jockey going to quick didn't help. 
  • Options
    The anti racing crowd are out in force this year moaning about something they know nothing about. 

Over the 3 days 308 horses run at aintree - where do you think those would be if not for racing and this is one meeting, there are numerous meetings every day. 

I dont like Davy Russel since he punched the horse - which is sick and no need for. 
  • Options
    As regards weight Red Rum had to carry 12stone to victory in 1974 and gave 24lbs to other horses so I wouldn't use the weight as the excuse for Crisp getting beaten. More like Crisp was a 2m-2m4f horse not a 4 mile plus horse so stamina had a lot to do with it plus the jockey going to quick didn't help. 
    As Crisp got round the GN in one of the quickest ever times recorded to finish 2nd how does that make him a 2m 4 furlong horse ? He was beaten by Red Rum who had 23 pound less and was a legend in the making.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chunes said:
    @PeanutsMolloy Thanks for this thread and your picks. I broke even and had a good time doing it!

Some years ago I asked you a boring question (that you kindly said was not boring). It was basically whether your model could ever be over-modified... Say if you adjust it one year based on the results, but the results were because of anomalies, and so your model becomes less accurate. You said that it was not likely since you tried not to include things that were clear anomalies. 

As a follow-up, I was just wondering whether you ever run the stats post-race based on older versions of your model, to see how they would have fared? And when you adjust your model do you do it on an exclusionary basis (excluding horses that won't win) or inclusionary, or both? 

Forgive the boring questions again. Just find it interesting.
    Not at all a boring question @Chunes - very pertinent in fact.
    If you don't mind, as I'm a bit tied up at the moment, I'll answer when I post about how the model actually performed (as opposed to how I translated it to my betting slip!).
  • Options
    It's more pertinent to look at the handicap mark than the weight carried in my view.  Tiger Roll has won easily off 159 this year.  Would imagine they'll stick him up to something high 160s next year (they tend to compress the top of the handicap, and reckon they'll try and tempt them to go for it....plenty of water to go under the bridge before then).  

Was one of the easiest winners I've seen in a long time.  Largely stopped watching 6 out, he was going that well.  My contrarian slant will always look to take him on though (got one in mind for next year already actually!)

Felt sick for the Wylies losing Up For Review, they really have had a torrid month.

Where the hell did Magic Of Light come from?!  Was just about the first one off my shortlist!!

Anyway....Scottish National this weekend, and Irish the weekend after.  Got my eye on one for the latter that looks a right plot job (no prizes for guessing who owns that one!)

• Options
    Surely it would be worth training Tiger Roll for a tilt at the Cheltenham Gold Cup next season.
  • Options
    Question for @PeanutsMolloy.

As Tiger Roll won with 11st 1 this year which was 9 pound higher than last year,
    would the handicapper give him 11.8 or 11.10 next year if he was to go for the hat trick ?
    As PolzeathNick says @soapboxsam, it's the Official Ratings that will dictate the weights to be carried. Depending on whether the likes of Native River or Bristol De Mai are targeted at the race (maybe even if they are, bearing in mind the handicapper has some discretion to tweak the GN handicap marks) he'd very likely be the highest rated entry, in which case he'd carry 11.10. 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    oldbloke said:
    Another Question for peanuts

You have mentioned the fact that a much higher Handicap mark is now required just to get in the race. But what is the trend with the winners Handicap mark as 151 & 159 for the last two years tends to suggest its rising. 

I'm guessing that comparing Red Rums handicap marks to Tigers is like comparing Nobby Stiles to Luca Modric?
    Here we go @oldbloke - Official Ratings of winners from 2005:

2005: 144 - Hedgehunter (lowest OR in race 134)
    2006: 138 - Numbersixvalverde (lowest 134)
    2007: 138 - Silver Birch (lowest 134) (but McKelvey lost by 0.75L [OR136])
    2008: 139 - Comply Or Die (lowest 137)
    2009: 148 - Mon Mome (lowest 139)
    2010: 153 - Don't Push It (lowest 139)
    2011: 150 - Ballabriggs (lowest 138)
    2012: 157 (compressed 2lbs from 159) - Neptune Collonges (but Sunnyhillboy lost by Nose [OR142]) (lowest 137)
    2013: 137 - Auroras Encore (lowest 131)
    2014: 143 - Pineau De Re (lowest 138)
    2015: 160 (compressed 5lbs) - Many Clouds (lowest 139)
    2016: 148 - Rule The World (lowest 145)
    2017: 148 - One For Arthur (lowest 143)
    2018: 150 - Tiger Roll (but Pleasant Company lost by a Head [OR148]) (lowest 142)
    2019: 159 - Tiger Roll (lowest 142)

I don't think you can't compare Tiger Roll and Red Rum IMO. Star though he is, Tiger Roll may well not have got round the course as it was in Red Rum's time. 
    It's different race now and no matter how many times TR (or another horse) might win it, they will never compare with Rummy.