Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Options
    Soapbox Sam before the National Crisp was classed as a 2m-2m4f horse........ 
  • Options
    It won the Queen mother chase at Cheltenham 
  • Options

One of my fave threads on CL and really enjoyed it, didn't win but the knowledge ITT is unreal. Thanks all

I had Rathvinden who looked good but Tiger Roll is just too good. Combi tricast Tiger Roll, Rock the Kasbah & Anibale Fly. not the worst effort. Quality race RIP to Up for review

• Options
    So, can any of you regular punters help me with this one.

As I said on Saturday, I had Tiger Roll on an e/w bet with William Hill. Put £2.50 down. Picked up my winnings this afternoon & got back £8.50. Certain the lady paying me said the odds were 4/1. Obviously all done electronically now so no reason to think she can't count or I've been diddled / had one over them. Just can't fathom how I got back £8.50 on a £2.50 stake if the odds were 4/1.

Just to clarify......I also had £2.50 each way (so a £5 total bet) on Livelovelaugh which I don't think counted on my betting slip as it wasn't top 5.

Any thoughts  ??
  • Options

As I said on Saturday, I had Tiger Roll on an e/w bet with William Hill. Put £2.50 down. Picked up my winnings this afternoon & got back £8.50. Certain the lady paying me said the odds were 4/1. Obviously all done electronically now so no reason to think she can't count or I've been diddled / had one over them. Just can't fathom how I got back £8.50 on a £2.50 stake if the odds were 4/1.

Just to clarify......I also had £2.50 each way (so a £5 total bet) on Livelovelaugh which I don't think counted on my betting slip as it wasn't top 5.

Any thoughts  ??
    Golfie- you say you put £2.50 down but was that £1.25 each way or £2.50 each way ?
  • Options
    KK, my point is, if Crisp was consided a 2m-2m.4f horse, why did he carry 12st and go off joint Favourite.
    He must've run a longer race somewhere before that National ?
  • Options

Any thoughts  ??
    Golfie- you say you put £2.50 down but was that £1.25 each way or £2.50 each way ?
    It had £1.25 on the betting slip as far as I can recall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any tips for the Scottish National?
  • Options
    CafcSteve said:
    Any tips for the Scottish National?
    Ballydine and Chic Name were on my radar.  Waiting for the day and extra places though.  Looks like ground could be very quick too so sitting on sidelines currently!
  • Options
    Cheers @PaddyP17
    All good questions. If you don't mind, I'll get back to you after I've posted a reply to Chunes and described the tweaks that are appropriate for the model. Sets a bit of context to answering the questions you put. Please bear with .....

• Options
    Bloody hell Peanuts. 

And how many horses go through that process and do you only start with first declarations?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Bloody hell Peanuts. 

And how many horses go through that process and do you only start with first declarations?
    Effectively I run the slide rule over the top 80 when the weights are published but that's not as bad as it sounds. I've got an initial screen, based on a couple of key stats that, if they fail both, I know they're not going to figure so I stop there. Not strictly an elimination but effectively so.
    That quickly weeded out about 30 this year, so I went through the whole process for about 50.
    14 runners on Saturday had initially been screened out - nearest finisher was Outlander (9th - 31L). Worked OK.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    My takeaway from last few years, and to an extent this year too, is that this race is now largely just a classy staying handicap.  

Last few winners been 8 or 9 year olds, 4 of the first 5 were 8 or 9 this year.  Think it's going towards the traditional look for the upwardly mobile younger horse as opposed to the more experienced stayer that was typically well suited to the test of the race previously.  Certainly don't think it'll be long before a 7yo wins it (hopefully next year, *cough* Mister Malarky *cough*)

Still maintain Tiger Roll at 4s is one of the worst bets you'll have, regardless of the result.... did nearly come down a few times and some of his main rivals fell by the wayside.  Will certainly be taking him on again next year....no room for sentimentality in this game!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    My takeaway from last few years, and to an extent this year too, is that this race is now largely just a classy staying handicap.  

Last few winners been 8 or 9 year olds, 4 of the first 5 were 8 or 9 this year.  Think it's going towards the traditional look for the upwardly mobile younger horse as opposed to the more experienced stayer that was typically well suited to the test of the race previously.  Certainly don't think it'll be long before a 7yo wins it (hopefully next year, *cough* Mister Malarky *cough*)

Still maintain Tiger Roll at 4s is one of the worst bets you'll have, regardless of the result.... did nearly come down a few times and some of his main rivals fell by the wayside.  Will certainly be taking him on again next year....no room for sentimentality in this game!

Totally agree @PolzeathNick

Re-viewing the race, it's remarkable how inconsequential even gross mistakes at fences have become. To see Magic Of Light absolutely plough through the Chair like it wasn't there (like Moses parting the Sea) and go on to be 2L runner-up (after ploughing through the last as well) suggests that the fences appear to have become since 2013 (literally) softer still by their construction. 

Amazing though he is, I seriously doubt that Tiger Roll could have won a GN over pre-2013 fences. While the handicapper’s 172 rating of Saturday's win is relevant (in making it certain he’ll carry 11.10 if he returns), for the Racing Post to dub him therefore “the best GN winner in at least 46 years” is meaningless crap IMO.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peanuts - a friend posits that you're approaching the fence issue backwards, and that it was a real achievement for Magic of Light to finish second after ploughing those two fences.

I'm on your side, and think the fences have got more give in them, but is there any merit in his point?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Peanuts - a friend posits that you're approaching the fence issue backwards, and that it was a real achievement for Magic of Light to finish second after ploughing those two fences.

I'm on your side, and think the fences have got more give in them, but is there any merit in his point?
    I completely agree but I'm not looking at it backwards (I don't think).
    She did fantastically well but the point still stands about the changing nature of the race that, in former times (I would contend even since 2013), that mistake at the Chair would (99% of the time) have ended any horse's race, one way or another. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It's better seen head on but this is the best I can do with a still from the normal view.
    She's actually in the middle of the fence (yellow sleeves & noseband of course), having gone into it no more than half way up. There appears to be no core to it whatsoever. Bizarre. We're talking the most feared obstacle on the course bar Bechers.
    All credit to her for a fantastic run and she clearly has bucket loads of guts and stamina - but is this really "The Grand National"?
  • Options
    Thanks again peanuts for making me interested in something I would otherwise let pass me by

Sadly I think that's it for me and hunt racing, when I saw the grey go down and thrash about I stopped caring about the result and felt hugely sad for the horse and whilst horses being euthanized and hurting themselves isnt a new concept to me I felt bad about this one 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Thanks again peanuts for making me interested in something I would otherwise let pass me by

Sadly I think that's it for me and hunt racing, when I saw the grey go down and thrash about I stopped caring about the result and felt hugely sad for the horse and whilst horses being euthanized and hurting themselves isnt a new concept to me I felt bad about this one 
    I totally get it @Carter
    The grey is actually fine and running again this Saturday but it was the horse he brought down that died. Very, very sad.
    Cheers mate.  
  • Options
    Fair enough PM. That image rather supports the point, yeah.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Fair enough PM. That image rather supports the point, yeah.
    I think both points are right Chief. She did fantastically well.
  • Options
    Am hearing that Ms Parfois has been retired due to injury. Hope she has a long and happy one (and maybe a fair few equally tough babies!).
  • Options
    Carter said:

I totally get it @Carter
    The grey is actually fine and running again this Saturday but it was the horse he brought down that died. Very, very sad.
    Cheers mate.  
    Yeah I tend to agree with Carter, Up For Review twitching in pain on the floor really ruined the spectacle for me this year. That is ultimately my main memory from the race.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I totally get it @Carter
    Cheers mate.  
    Yeah I tend to agree with Carter, Up For Review twitching in pain on the floor really ruined the spectacle for me this year. That is ultimately my main memory from the race.
    I felt the same as you @ValleyGary  even though my only bet on the race was the Grey, Vintage Clouds who fell at the first bringing down Up for Review. My personal disappointment disappeared over my £10 loss and just felt heartache for the stricken  horse and stable lad or lass.