Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Wimbledon : 15/12/18

Comments

• Options

Still don’t see that the Sarr challenge was a red card, watched the sky footage about 5 times.

Wasn’t kettle’s call though he asked the Lino and Lino was sure. Can’t do much more as a ref in that situation.

It's strange, because having watched the replay it was definitely a red card to me.
    It was reckless and Sarr could easily have broken his ankle.
  • Options
    I watched the highlights and thought it was a booking at most
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Sarr was playing well until his red card.

Yes, I thought Sarr played well for 45 seconds.
    There were certainly no signs of any howlers.
    Did he actually touch the ball ? :smile:
  • Options

I’m stunned that Luton are doing as well as they are, watched them a few times in league 2 and thought they were very average

Newly promoted Luton are on an incredible run.

5 wins on the spin
    9 games undefeated (8 wins + 1 draw)
    10 wins + 1 draw + 1 defeat (v Barnsley away 13th Oct), since they drew with Charlton, 29th Sept.
    15 games played with only 1 defeat since 8th September.

That's a grand total of 36 points in 15 games.

Is that promotion form, do you reckon?

• Options
    How many pies did Wally Downes have in his pocket?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I’m stunned that Luton are doing as well as they are, watched them a few times in league 2 and thought they were very average

Newly promoted Luton are on an incredible run.

5 wins on the spin
    9 games undefeated (8 wins + 1 draw)
    10 wins + 1 draw + 1 defeat (v Barnsley away 13th Oct), since they drew with Charlton, 29th Sept.
    15 games played with only 1 defeat since 8th September.

That's a grand total of 36 points in 15 games.

Is that promotion form, do you reckon?

Crazy form, not dissimilar to us to be fair, I love a smaller side performing well! Good on em!
  • Options

Trevor Kettle's decision to send Sarr off after less than a minute taking into account the horrid weather conditions and slippery pitch was probably racially motivated. But I am glad he had the bollocks to even it up. But to be fair I am calm about it now because we won. But hopefully we can keep Sols, Pat, Pearcey and Anfernee fit in the next three games if we lose any appeal or don't appeal the red card. Tall order I know and tall order (possibly being overtuning the red card) but more in keeping ALL those players fit with our horrid injury luck this season.

Racially motivated,o please! What colour was Pinnock? Looked a bad tackle from where I was , a long way away. Perhaps harsh but bad tackle.
  • Options

Wimbledon - very poor.

Pinnock - complete pillock.

Bielik - a class apart at this level.

Ajose - constantly looking for balls over the top or through the channel but the midfielders don’t see the possibilities.

Kettle - got nearly everything right, especially the two red cards.

Bowyer - he in whom we trust.

Woahh. Brave man to say that.
    I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shocking first half performance by Wimbledon, the way we dominated possession during that period, you would have thought we had the one man advantage. Quite surreal seeing Pearce running up the left wing!

Fortunately once parity was restored, we rejigged things and got the deserved win. His first in the league, but now Ajose has 7 assists, which shows his all round play is better than he is often given credit for.

I do think some get carried away. We dominated possession in the first half but we didn't have a shot or threaten their defence. My walking football team would have coped easily. Second half was totally different when we changed tactics and got a deserved win
  • Options

I was impressed with Ajose today without him managing to score, was certainly disappointed when Aribo didnt square him the ball for a tap in at one point and understand his frustrations from that

I honestly think he was in an offside position.
    Though whether Jo knew that of course.....

• Options
    redman said:

Shocking first half performance by Wimbledon, the way we dominated possession during that period, you would have thought we had the one man advantage. Quite surreal seeing Pearce running up the left wing!

Fortunately once parity was restored, we rejigged things and got the deserved win. His first in the league, but now Ajose has 7 assists, which shows his all round play is better than he is often given credit for.

I do think some get carried away. We dominated possession in the first half but we didn't have a shot or threaten their defence. My walking football team would have coped easily. Second half was totally different when we changed tactics and got a deserved win
    But for a team to be so passive when the opposition lose a man after 1 minute was pretty dismal, that was the time for them to make the advantage count, get a goal and try and hang on
  • Options

WTF
    Even Charlton fans are saying it now.

They had a player on a booking he stupidly dived and got caught, a dive is an automatic yellow if caught and as stated he already gad one, there red card had nothing to do with ours and the ref wanting to even it up
  • Options
    Yeah, from behind the goal in the North Lower it was a flagrant and embarrassing dive. There was daylight between them. Realising it was guy who'd already been booked was incredible
  • Options

robroy said:

Taylor is the most I’ve loved a Charlton player since Andy Reid. Proper class.

Jacko?
    Yeah true. I guess I mean appreciation of quality more than anything else. Jacko is a legend of course.
    Yann?

I get what you mean though. There's something about Lyle. He's fantastic.
  • Options

Trevor Kettle's decision to send Sarr off after less than a minute taking into account the horrid weather conditions and slippery pitch was probably racially motivated. But I am glad he had the bollocks to even it up. But to be fair I am calm about it now because we won. But hopefully we can keep Sols, Pat, Pearcey and Anfernee fit in the next three games if we lose any appeal or don't appeal the red card. Tall order I know and tall order (possibly being overtuning the red card) but more in keeping ALL those players fit with our horrid injury luck this season.

If I was Kettle and reading this, I'd sue you for libel.

Of all the stupid comments I've seen on this forum, this stands head and shoulders above the rest.
  • Options
    Yet againTaylor is the talisman. But we are still vulnerable if Ajose is starting . surely it is worth trying someone who is happy to make mistakes but more importantly give their all. Ajose’s presence shows how thin the squad is. I thought the defence didn’t really miss Sarr . Fosu started to shine which was good to see. We are getting closer to the top and can realistically aim for promotion so long as Aribo stays
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Excellent performance in horrible conditions against a team set up to spoil.
    With a team spirit like ours i think promotion is not a dream.
    Sunderland at home is going to be a huge game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Silly tackle by Sarr and pitch conditions didn't help him. Can't moan at the ref over that though. You only had to look at the bench to see why Bowyer doesn't want cup games. What is impressive is we have seemed to have found the way to win games. What I mean by that is, in previous years we would have lost or drawn yesterday's game. It helped that Wimblen look like a doomed team but it is a real set back losing a player as early as we lost Sarr.

I have written off our automatic hopes and still think it is unlikely. But it isn't unlikely looking at the table. We are in an injury crisis and when you have a small squad, one is around every corner, but there are key elements we have to have staying fit. One of those is Taylor - what a signing by Bowyer.What we lack is that Holmes type player who breaks thedeadlock often caused by teams who have lots of bodies in the box, but that finish from Taylor was class and we needed that sort of class as were playing in frontg of them a bit too much without really being troubling. Another positive from yesterday was Fosu started to look like last season's player - not fully but getting there.

Bowyer has proved he knows how to spend the money so for a modest outlay from the owner in the next window, we could really achieve something in this league. It would be a calculated gamble with positive results for him Sadly, he doesn't really sniff out the opportunities when they are there so we are just going to have to do this on a wing and a prayer.
  • Options
    Despite the cold enjoyed that yesterday.

Still hard to tell on the highlights whether either was a red card.

Thought Bielik was class from start to finish, but no one had a bad game. Thought Ajose was OK, but he seems to play a different game to everyone else, often got in great positions but we didn't see or want to make the pass for whatever reason.

A wins a win, but to pressure the top two our decision making needs to improve. But what's not to like at the moment.
  • Options

Silly tackle by Sarr and pitch conditions didn't help him. Can't moan at the ref over that though. You only had to look at the bench to see why Bowyer doesn't want cup games. What is impressive is we have seem to have found the way to win games. What I mean by that is, in previous years we would have lost or drawn yesterday's game. It helped that Wimblen look like a doomed team but it is a real set back losing a player as early as we lost Sarr.

I have written off our automatic hopes and still think it is unlikely. But it isn't unlikely looking at the table. We are in an injury crisis and when you have a small squad, one is around every corner, but there are key elements we have to have staying fit. One of those is Taylor - what a signing by Bowyer.What we lack is that Holmes type player who breaks thedeadlock often caused by teams who have lots of bodies in the box, but that finish from Taylor was class and we needed that sort of class as were playing in frontg of them a bit too much without really being troubling. Another positive from yesterday was Fosu started to look like last season's player - not fully but getting there.

Bowyer has proved he knows how to spend the money so for a modest outlay from the owner in the next window, we could really achieve something in this league. It would be a calculated gamble with positive results for him Sadly, he doesn't really sniff out the opportunities when they are there so we are just going to have to do this on a wing and a prayer.

I think it was you little who said you wanted naby to get a run in the team and I said I hope not.
    The thing with naby is you never know what his going to do
  • Options

Silly tackle by Sarr and pitch conditions didn't help him. Can't moan at the ref over that though. You only had to look at the bench to see why Bowyer doesn't want cup games. What is impressive is we have seem to have found the way to win games. What I mean by that is, in previous years we would have lost or drawn yesterday's game. It helped that Wimblen look like a doomed team but it is a real set back losing a player as early as we lost Sarr.

We need to catch Portsmouth to stand a chance of the automatics

I think Sunderland could be too strong for the rest of the Division and is a matter of time till they take first spot
  • Options
    Well done to all the players for attempting to play football in such lousy weather, especially when losing a player so early.

From my view in Upper North I thought Sarr's tackle would be red. My son said "lucky its the first minute or he'll get a red". Not knowing who the ref was at that point I said "knowing our luck it's Kettle and he'll be off " .....

Funny that later when the Wimbledon guy,who should have been red carded for a similar tackle, but only got a yellow as he didn't connect with the legs of the Charlton player, was red carded for diving when I thought he was actually fouled.

Surreal situation when the crowd stood for the minute applause as Sarr trudged off the pitch.

Agree with most of what has been said regarding team attitude, and how well we did given the early sending off. What I don't agree with, being my first live game this season, is many lifers castigating Ajose for his effort. He made so many good runs today, but only on a few occasions was there an attempt to play the ball to him. This was noted also by my son and the guy sitting the other side of me. He scored last week and I thought played well yesterday, so on current form should be supported. He may not be as effective as Grant and Taylor in their current form but I think he is having an effect, and effort is far above what he appeared to put in last season.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Massive doth of cap to Mark Marshall. Had an incredibly impacting cameo and throughly deserved his goal, with a great strike.

We didn’t have experience on the bench today but as a manager you can’t ask for anything more than someone coming on late in a miserable weather game and really taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

Increasingly annoyed by idiots who don't understand football slagging off 70% of our side around me.

There really is some thick twats in our support.

If people want faultless football they should fck off to a prem club on a saturday, maybe they will get the 30yd strike top bins they crave or the faultless crosses they need to witness.

It's league 1, it is what it is with flashes of brilliance here and there.
    Was any of that aimed at Reeves? Watching on iFollow I noticed he was the one player willing to keep trying difficult passes. It often led to him giving it away but you need to take that risk against a team sitting back like Wimbledon did.
    Thought Reeves was very good today. Not everything came off, but he was really trying to control the game and be that creative fulcrum. It the trajectory of a a couple of passes had been half a degree different, or the recipient’s first touch had been a bit sharper, he could have had 3 or 4 assists today. He looks much less lightweight than last season too and much more like the playmaker we thought we’d be getting.

Important he does more of this with Ward injured. Overdue a goal though.
    Funny how we see things so differently. I thought Reeves was below par yesterday. Too many passes way over hit, shooting all over the place, tackles predictably weak. Credit to him for always looking for the ball but I wish he’d do more with it.
  • Options
    I agree with you. I thought Reeves was terrible. Did not play one decent pass and was weak,
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I think it was you little who said you wanted naby to get a run in the team and I said I hope not.
    The thing with naby is you never know what his going to do
    I don't think it proves you right - he doesn't get sent off every game. Bauer nearly gave away a goal. My point has always been, when you look at the big mistakes, he doesn't make any more that other defenders.
  • Options

We need to catch Portsmouth to stand a chance of the automatics

I think Sunderland could be too strong for the rest of the Division and is a matter of time till they take first spot
    I was saying in the pub before the game yesterday
    Get 9 points from December and 9 from January and I think we go up automatically.
    After January we'd of played Coventry, Barnsley, Peterborough and Sunderland twice.
    We then only have Donny away and pompey and Luton at home.
  • Options
    We have pulled 5 points back from Portsmouth in two games.