Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Wimbledon : 15/12/18

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018

Until we start playing through balls to Ajose to chase and score from rather than using him as a spare prick at a wedding for the opposition defence to mark we are always going to have fans who think he’s not contributing

He's not my favourite player ...... but I've always thought Ajose moves well off the ball, finds space for himself and drags opponents out of position.

The way he created a yard of space for himself in the box, losing his marker to score the winner at Pompey. Against Wimbledon, he made a good run off the ball wide to be on the end of Bielek's beautifully weighted killer pass, before rifling in the cross for Lyle to nick the 1st goal.

If Ajose is 'lazy', and doesn't make the run - then Bieleks killer pass comes to nothing, no assist and no goal scored.

Sure, he's missed a 1-v-1 in both games, and he'll know himself that he should have scored - but his critics ignore the fact that he showed great anticipation and movement to be on the end of those chances. If he doesn't make the off the ball run, then no chance is even created for him to miss.

As we all know, Ajose scored a lot of goals one season at Swindon.
    That rather suggests they knew how to use him properly and get the best out of him.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I’m stunned that Luton are doing as well as they are, watched them a few times in league 2 and thought they were very average

Newly promoted Luton are on an incredible run.

5 wins on the spin
    9 games undefeated (8 wins + 1 draw)
    10 wins + 1 draw + 1 defeat (v Barnsley away 13th Oct), since they drew with Charlton, 29th Sept.
    15 games played with only 1 defeat since 8th September.

That's a grand total of 36 points in 15 games.

Is that promotion form, do you reckon?

Crazy form, not dissimilar to us to be fair, I love a smaller side performing well! Good on em!

Oggy Red said:

I’m stunned that Luton are doing as well as they are, watched them a few times in league 2 and thought they were very average

5 wins on the spin
    10 wins + 1 draw + 1 defeat (v Barnsley away 13th Oct), since they drew with Charlton, 29th Sept.

Crazy form, not dissimilar to us to be fair, I love a smaller side performing well! Good on em!
    Are they a smaller side? Their gates aren't far behind us. Also, are Barnsley a bigger side? Since post war our league position almost mirrors theirs but their gates are currently higher.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Until we start playing through balls to Ajose to chase and score from rather than using him as a spare prick at a wedding for the opposition defence to mark we are always going to have fans who think he’s not contributing

He's not my favourite player ...... but I've always thought Ajose moves well off the ball, finds space for himself and drags opponents out of position.

The way he created a yard of space for himself in the box, losing his marker to score the winner at Pompey. Against Wimbledon, he made a good run off the ball wide to be on the end of Bielek's beautifully weighted killer pass, before rifling in the cross for Lyle to nick the 1st goal.

If Ajose is 'lazy', and doesn't make the run - then Bieleks killer pass comes to nothing, no assist and no goal scored.

Sure, he's missed a 1-v-1 in both games, and he'll know himself that he should have scored - but his critics ignore the fact that he showed great anticipation and movement to be on the end of those chances. If he doesn't make the off the ball run, then no chance is even created for him to miss.

As we all know, Ajose scored a lot of goals one season at Swindon.
    That rather suggests they knew how to use him properly and get the best out of him.
    Strikers will always miss as many as they score. Got to have a go, keeper might save it or it might go off target. Grant and Taylor likely to have missed 20 chances between themselves but have also put away 20.
  • Options

Come on you Reds.

No I didn't mean you Kettle.

The third Cafc game when he has done the double Red card.

Oldham away (waggy and Hollands)
    Bolton home (2 Bolton players)
    Dons home ( 1 each )

Three dismissals at Oldham - game eventually reduced to 10 vs 9.
  • Options

We’ve still got Portsmouth, Sunderland and Luton to come to The Valley in 2019. I think we still have a big role to play in the promotion battle.

Cannot wait for the rest of this season and chasing Sunderland and Portsmouth down.

We could be on the same number of points as Sunderland this time next week
    They have a better goal difference and 2 games in hand.

I still strongly believe they'll go straight back up, and that any team finishing above them will be champions.
    Games in hand eventually have to be won if they are going to be of any use. 10 goals better goal difference instantly disappears if they lose 3-0 to Pompey and we beat gills 7-0 next week...so that’s next week’s target boys...and they have to come to the valley on 5 Jan
  • Options
    Really don’t want to,say anything negative about yesterday; it was a war of attrition largely due to how Wimbledon didn’t want to play but we were also a tad under par across the park. Digging out the win in a game that could have continued submerged in nothingness is a big 3 points.

However....the quality of our delivery, from wide, corners and free kicks was absolutely shocking. Equally, I was also surprised when we had 10 min the number of free Ickes we had with an opportunity to put the ball in their box that we decided to just roll it a couple of yards to our nearest player rather than launching a bit of penalty box pressure.
  • Options
    Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    19h19 hours ago
    More
    C’mon boys! Good home win for the team. Fans kept us going, thank you! #CAFC 🔴⚪️

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    20h20 hours ago
    More
    Boys dug out a big 3points today. Need to keep the momentum. Thank you for the support. #ontothenextone #cafc #coyr
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

5 wins on the spin

Oggy Red said:

5 wins on the spin

Are they a smaller side? Their gates aren't far behind us. Also, are Barnsley a bigger side? Since post war our league position almost mirrors theirs but their gates are currently higher.
    Yes, Luton aren't a small club. They fell massively from grace, but that's down to ownership issues AND their awful ground holding them back. League Cup winners in 1988, back when it was a serious competition.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    19h19 hours ago
    More
    C’mon boys! Good home win for the team. Fans kept us going, thank you! #CAFC 🔴⚪️

You know how to pay us back Joe!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    19h19 hours ago
    More

what fans ??
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    First season I supported us, 1962/63, Luton were relegated with Walsall from the old division 2.

We survived on goal average after winning 2-1 at Walsall in the final match of the season. Had we drawn or lost we would have been relegated with Luton.

EDIT: if anyone wants a read http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/LeagueTables/Season1962-63/Div21962-63.htm
  • Options
    Regarding Ajose: just see how many times he has been subbed in the last year WITHOUT being injured.
  • Options
    What would be our strongest XI does everyone think, with every player available and what formation as well?

Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen Bielik JFC
    Aribo
    Grant Taylor

4312 with those players would be my pick, quite a defensive midfield but also players that can bring the ball forward, our strikers are undroppable and Aribo would be incredible with less defensive duties imo.

Then we have options in Ward, Marshall, Reeves, Fosu and Ajose from the bench if we are struggling to get anything going.
  • Options

What would be our strongest XI does everyone think, with every player available and what formation as well?

Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen Bielik JFC
    Aribo
    Grant Taylor

4312 with those players would be my pick, quite a defensive midfield but also players that can bring the ball forward, our strikers are undroppable and Aribo would be incredible with less defensive duties imo.

Then we have options in Ward, Marshall, Reeves, Fosu and Ajose from the bench if we are struggling to get anything going.

Imagine not having players injured!
  • Options
    Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen Bielik Aribo Fosu
    Grant Taylor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They certainly showed why they are are stuggling in the league and why they are in the relegation zone. They struggled against Haringey Borough. The 3rd tier seems to have caught up with them for the moment and they need their new stadium and quick.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I believe the racist remark about Trevor Two-Reds Kettle may have been tongue in cheek ?

From memory the 6 red cards in Cafc matches have been.
    1 ginger =Waggy
    1 black= Nabby
    1 mixed race = Davies
    3 white = Hollands, Pinnock and the other Bolton Lad ?

A decent cross section of British society.

Waggy is ginger?
    Yep , like his dad who posts on here sometimes
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Valley11 said:

Absolutely love Taylor

@louismendez
    Lee Bowyer says that Lyle Taylor actually failed a fitness test this morning. Played after an injection in his foot and scored against his former side #afcw #cafc @BBCLondonSport

It certainly helped that AFC treated the game like a testimonial!
    Understatement... Im genuienly disappointed we didnt win that by at least 4. They were atrocious
    A tad harsh - as I saw it the boys expended a huge amount of physical and nervous energy on Tuesday with many lumps and bumps. Yesterday was all about 3 points - we can put on the style when we have 7 days recovery and a near full squad to pick from.
  • Options

Taylor is the most I’ve loved a Charlton player since Andy Reid. Proper class.

No room for Yann or Jacko?

• Options

Trevor Kettle's decision to send Sarr off after less than a minute taking into account the horrid weather conditions and slippery pitch was probably racially motivated. But I am glad he had the bollocks to even it up. But to be fair I am calm about it now because we won. But hopefully we can keep Sols, Pat, Pearcey and Anfernee fit in the next three games if we lose any appeal or don't appeal the red card. Tall order I know and tall order (possibly being overtuning the red card) but more in keeping ALL those players fit with our horrid injury luck this season.

If I was Kettle and reading this, I'd sue you for libel.

Of all the stupid comments I've seen on this forum, this stands head and shoulders above the rest.
    Slip over to the Jeremy Corbyn thread. You won't be disappointed.
    If there's anything more stupid there, I don't want to read it.
  • Options

Well done to all the players for attempting to play football in such lousy weather, especially when losing a player so early.

From my view in Upper North I thought Sarr's tackle would be red. My son said "lucky its the first minute or he'll get a red". Not knowing who the ref was at that point I said "knowing our luck it's Kettle and he'll be off " .....

Funny that later when the Wimbledon guy,who should have been red carded for a similar tackle, but only got a yellow as he didn't connect with the legs of the Charlton player, was red carded for diving when I thought he was actually fouled.

Surreal situation when the crowd stood for the minute applause as Sarr trudged off the pitch.

Agree with most of what has been said regarding team attitude, and how well we did given the early sending off. What I don't agree with, being my first live game this season, is many lifers castigating Ajose for his effort. He made so many good runs today, but only on a few occasions was there an attempt to play the ball to him. This was noted also by my son and the guy sitting the other side of me. He scored last week and I thought played well yesterday, so on current form should be supported. He may not be as effective as Grant and Taylor in their current form but I think he is having an effect, and effort is far above what he appeared to put in last season.

This is the point I made earlier. It can be easy to miss if you're watching the ball and not the player so I can see how some don't see what he does. And, of course, there's none so blind as those who don't want to see.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

5 wins on the spin

... or a team that have had very few injuries?