Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tennis 2019

Comments

• Options
    Utter bottle job I’m afraid. 
    Superb interview with her when she completely loses it - seems unable to accept that she keeps bottling it. She's capable of playing very well but her temperament keeps letting her down.

Seems a very prickly character.

she's arrogant and a bad loser, dont like her now
  • Options
    The questions seemed perfectly reasonable to me. 

At least we got some light relief with Murrena.
  • Options
    I thought the reporter was a touch out of line. All this “he was just doing his job” is a load of bollocks.... his job is to find out how a player feels after a game went - and that can be done without goading them.

asking her “presumably you want to win a grand slam” was a bit of a dickhead thing to do. What’s she supposed to say? “Nah I quite like losing in them thanks”?!

When a players just lost in a big match it’s human respect and decency to manage the tone in how you speak.

• Options
    I thought the reporter was a touch out of line. All this “he was just doing his job” is a load of bollocks.... his job is to find out how a player feels after a game went - and that can be done without goading them.

asking her “presumably you want to win a grand slam” was a bit of a dickhead thing to do. What’s she supposed to say? “Nah I quite like losing in them thanks”?!

When a players just lost in a big match it’s human respect and decency to manage the tone in how you speak.

Well, there is a perception that she is the nearly person who chokes and she had a golden opportunity to win a slam or at least play Serena in the semis and she collapsed against an unseeded player.

OK the questions could be seen as a personal dig but you have to take the flak and be diplomatic
  • Options
    If Federer and Nadal both win today, it will set up their first Wimbledon meeting since the 2008 final. Given how long they've been at the top of the game, that's quite surprising.

Also of the 8 men left in the draw, the youngest is aged 28 and five of them are over 30. So much for the new breed coming through.
    There seems to be very little coming through the junior ranks on the Men’s side right now, but, to be fair they, are trying to live up to possibly the golden age of tennis when 3 of probably the 5 best players of all time have all been competing against each other. It was always destined to take a dip from those heights. We will sorely miss the big 3 plus Murray when they are gone. 
  • Options
    If Federer and Nadal both win today, it will set up their first Wimbledon meeting since the 2008 final. Given how long they've been at the top of the game, that's quite surprising.

Also of the 8 men left in the draw, the youngest is aged 28 and five of them are over 30. So much for the new breed coming through.
    There seems to be very little coming through the junior ranks on the Men’s side right now, but, to be fair they, are trying to live up to possibly the golden age of tennis when 3 of probably the 5 best players of all time have all been competing against each other. It was always destined to take a dip from those heights. We will sorely miss the big 3 plus Murray when they are gone. 
    Very true, especially when you consider that the big 3 have won 53 of the last 62 grand slams.
    Add in Murray and Wawrinka and it's 59 of the last 62.

I'm convinced the only reason Federer is still playing is because he wants to try and get a couple more titles to try and stop Nadal and Djokovic beating his record. 
  • Options
    Interesting stat I heard - no player born in the 90's has won a slam ...
  • Options

many post match interviewers have got 'aggressive' and almost 'insulting' in their attitude and questions aimed at losers .. this reflects modern journalism where the idea is to provoke and then make sensational headlines from any 'aggressive' responses .. problem is of course that sportspeople nowadays are usually contracted to appear in post match interviews and need to learn to handle these potentially fraught situations ..
    as for Konta .. seems the pressure of expectation got to her and she couldn't handle it, in truth her performance was awful, she did bottle it ..  ..  also, as with Dan Evan's opponent, the fact that most of the crowd were screaming for the Brit, Strykove seemed inspired by being the underdog and the better she played, the worse Konta played

• Options

Very true, especially when you consider that the big 3 have won 53 of the last 62 grand slams.

I'm convinced the only reason Federer is still playing is because he wants to try and get a couple more titles to try and stop Nadal and Djokovic beating his record. 
    Who are the other 3?  Cilic, Del Potro and ?

I'm struggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who are the other 3?  Cilic, Del Potro and ?

I'm struggling.

Safin - Australia 2005.
  • Options
    The women's game has been the complete opposite. It would take a real tennis expert to name the last 62 winners of the women's events...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Quite shocked by all the stuff on Twitter suggesting that the Qs to Konta were sexist. Sorry, but if I'd been there as a female journalist, I'd have wanted to ask exactly the same. She did bottle it. I'd have more respect for her if she had come out angry and upset that she wasn't at her best. 34 unforced errors versus eight, wasn't it? 
  • Options

Read some of the comments, everyone blaming the journalist for his questions and not Konta for her performance.

One guy even says that she is a champion in his eyes and top 5 in the world.

No she is 18th in the world and unless she stops bottling it she will never win a slam

• Options
    The dog rolls over almost as good as her
  • Options
    Don’t see many journalists getting aggressive and confrontational in their questions with Kyrgios
    and he should have been pulled up for his ridiculous answer mentioning that Cos nadal is loaded and has won lots of majors it was some sort of excuse to behave like a knob on the court 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Quite shocked by all the stuff on Twitter suggesting that the Qs to Konta were sexist. Sorry, but if I'd been there as a female journalist, I'd have wanted to ask exactly the same. She did bottle it. I'd have more respect for her if she had come out as angry and upset that she wasn't at her best. 34 unforced errors versus eight, wasn't it? 
    Agree.
    In both the French and Wimbledon Konta has snatched defeat from the Jaws of Victory by going into unforced error mode.
    She played the best tennis at the French leading up to her choking at 5-2 up in both sets in the semi against Vondroušová.

Wimbledon  exactly the same, playing some great tennis in early rounds,before just playing rubbish from 5-4 up in the tie break against Strycova.

Having watched her whole career, she can go from the sublime to the ridiculous and even saw her going into a crying breakdown at Eastbourne a few years back. 
    She left one coach, when she was ranked 4th in the World rankings July 2017 ! 
    She liked her present coach because he lets her make the calls on court ! 

Konta has now reached 3 semi finals and a quarter final, where she has appeared to choke. A perfectly reasonable question was put by a seasoned British journalist.

The irony is Johanna is a very talented tennis player, who appears to be in denial of a flaw that is stopping her reaching finals.

• Options
    There was a comment when he said something like 'and I presume you want to improve' that I thought was unwarranted.

I dont remember anyone asking 'Tiger' Tim when is he going to stop bottling grand slam semi finals when interviewed straight after a defeat.
  • Options
    Henman was unlucky with the weather delay when leading overnight v Goran. Otherwise he always ran into Sampras or Federer in semis and possibly Nadal the cheat in the French?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    There was a comment when he said something like 'and I presume you want to improve' that I thought was unwarranted.

I dont remember anyone asking 'Tiger' Tim when is he going to stop bottling grand slam semi finals when interviewed straight after a defeat.
    I don't recall Henman bottling many matches or collapsing against opponents he ought to beat very often. Usually if he lost it was against someone better than him
    1997 - 2000 - 2001 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 were the years that Henman lost to a lower ranked player at Wimbledon
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

She came across as an arse after saying is that 'in your professional tennis oponion' when the journalist had raised the issue of the large number of unenforced errors. Her bottle job was clear for all to see whether they had played tennis professionally or not.

If she wants to pretend there are no issues and act up when the interviewer is not an ex tennis player then it just seems very immature.

She needs to be more honest - interviews are part of her job whether she likes it or not.
  • Options
    Yeah the irony in her patronising quote after the next question asked, when her first response ie "in your professional opinion" was sooooo patronising. She has the game to win a major in this crazy women's era, but she needs to accept constructive criticism. Hopefully her current coach will provide this and also she works on her mentality.
  • Options
    Yeah the irony in her patronising quote after the next question asked, when her first response ie "in your professional opinion" was sooooo patronising. She has the game to win a major in this crazy women's era, but she needs to accept constructive criticism. Hopefully her current coach will provide this and also she works on her mentality.
    If she doesn't work on her attitude she'll never win a major. When she's at her best she looks unbeatable but she seems to collapse with alarming regularity. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    MrOneLung said:

Not sure Tim bottled ?

Most of the times he was beaten by better players.   Against the Croatian when he thrash him 6-0 in a set the rain intervened and Goran Ivanisevic Came back the next day and got his amazing serve working and stopped sulking. Henman would have won that semi as Goran had thrown the towel in before the rain came.

The difference is at least two of her semi final defeats and the quarter final yesterday Konta should be winning but her game disappears at crucial times. 
  • Options
    Losing 6 semi finals in a row is bottling it (in my opinion) even if playing higher ranked players.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm not sure about bottle, I just don't think she's that good a player.  Top 20 on a good day, what separates the better players from others is consistency, and she has shown she is lacking, she hits a bad patch and just collapses.  Some good Ladies coming to prominence now like Barty, Halep, Coeff, Osaka and I don't think she has the potential to win a slam
  • Options
    Women's semi finals/final are nearly always shit. Easy win for Halep and fully expect Williams to batter Strycova. 
  • Options
    Did 20 on halep to win a few weeks before the tournament and got 16/1. Hope she beats Serena now.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Did 20 on halep to win a few weeks before the tournament and got 16/1. Hope she beats Serena now.
    Don't we all.