Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options
    I agree with everything you say,he has all but destroyed this club,possibly it will never recover,but my point is in his eyes(One of the virtues of old age is to see both side of an argument)he has put his money in and can do what he wants.In his opinion,not mine, why should he support a business where he is openly hated.I really dont know if without the protests and boycotts things would have been any different,but other than show the contempt we have for the owner,what have they achieved.I remain of the opinion that we have a good chance of going up and that great shows of support at the valley would certainly help our cause.
  • Options

I agree with everything you say,he has all but destroyed this club,possibly it will never recover,but my point is in his eyes(One of the virtues of old age is to see both side of an argument)he has put his money in and can do what he wants.In his opinion,not mine, why should he support a business where he is openly hated.I really dont know if without the protests and boycotts things would have been any different,but other than show the contempt we have for the owner,what have they achieved.I remain of the opinion that we have a good chance of going up and that great shows of support at the valley would certainly help our cause.

He certainly hasn't all but destroyed the club. It wouldn't take much for a new owner to get us back to our natural level of the Championship and up attendances to a better level.
  • Options
    It would take a fair bit of investment to get the club back to somewhere near its former self,plus the purchase price this is probably what is putting people off buying.For this to happen I think you need someone who has an affinity for the club,regretably the days of people like Roger Alwen and Martin Simons seem lomg gone.
  • Options

You are quite right, Roland does believe he can do wants with the club. Unfortunately, all the evidence suggests that he has no interest in bringing footballing success to the clubs he owns. Katrien herself summed up the vision this regime has for Charlton,which is,to enable you as a Charlton supporter to watch future Premier League players for a couple of dozen games before they are sold off. There was no mention of trying to get promotion to the Premier League ourselves because that was never Roland’s agenda.

You say that age has enabled you to see both sides of the argument: however you refuse to see what is right in front of you. . The regime have told us, including you, quite clearly what their ambition for the club is. It certainly doesn’t include taking the club back to it’s “ former glories. “ At best, this regime’s stated ambition is to turn Charlton into a Crewe Alexandra of the south.

• Options

Fits Curbs criteria for new signings; hungry and angry (and hopefully not just cos of the veganism). Bodes well.

What confuses me is he seems to have spent most of his career as a winger but is being talked about clearly by bowyer and everyone as a striker?

Gallen said he was a forward at QPR and has been played out of position since, especially at Gillingham.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mametz said:

You are quite right, Roland does believe he can do wants with the club. Unfortunately, all the evidence suggests that he has no interest in bringing footballing success to the clubs he owns. Katrien herself summed up the vision this regime has for Charlton,which is,to enable you as a Charlton supporter to watch future Premier League players for a couple of dozen games before they are sold off. There was no mention of trying to get promotion to the Premier League ourselves because that was never Roland’s agenda.

You say that age has enabled you to see both sides of the argument: however you refuse to see what is right in front of you. . The regime have told us, including you, quite clearly what their ambition for the club is. It certainly doesn’t include taking the club back to it’s “ former glories. “ At best, this regime’s stated ambition is to turn Charlton into a Crewe Alexandra of the south.

I don't think people read properly what thickandthin63 actually says.

He agrees that RD has done nothing but harm and will continue to do so.

I've not read him blame the supporters at all.

Why can't anyone say something without someone trying to attach blame ?

I believe he is simply making the point that the team are more likely to be successful with a vociferous fan base supporting them, as does Lee Bowyer and I happen to agree with them.

It's nothing to do with blame and it's an opinion that the team will likely do better if they have a lot of vocal support.

I have to say I'm yet to hear a manager ask their fans to stay away from games, because their passionate support is not wanted and disadvantages the team.
  • Options
    Covered end,my friend for life,coyr.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019

I've just read the 2 newspaper reports about him and I have to say he's had a remarkable career/life.
    It certainly makes you want him to succeed even more, so I wish him all the best and hope he's a roaring success.

I read the article when it was published a few weeks ago and thought id like to see Charlton sign him.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mametz said:

Covered End.

I take it that you haven’t read all of his postings on this subject over the last week or so. If you had done so you will see that this exchange began precisely because he did expressly attach blame to the protesters and opined that Roland’s ravaging of the club were a reaction to the protests not their cause. The implication being that if the protests subsided then Roland would be generous and good owner.

I think that you are assuming things that he has not said.

What did he say that blamed protestors?

I'm a protestor I went to every protest including Belgium.

All I read was him saying support the team & don't boycott, because the team will likely perform better & I agree with him.

Why do teams generally perform better at home? Is it not to do with support?

Do you think if we play Sunderland we have a better chance of winning home or away?

You don't need to answer, because everyone knows the answer & home support is crucial.

It's all he is saying. Support your team.

NB I have no personal gripe with any boycotter, we're all fans doing what we believe is the right thing.
    I'm just explaining what he is saying, as I understand it.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Covered End.

You asked when did he blame protesters.

“ If you were Roland would you sanction outlay on players if you were hated and humiliated even on your own doorstep? “

Whichever way you read that it seems that he is blaming lack of investment on protesters. The implication is that the protests preceded this lack of investment?

You say that you have protested both here and in Belgium. He thinks you are the problem.

“ the owner is irrelevant”

The only interpretation of this is that the club’s predicament has nothing to do with Roland.

Despite this I have no doubt that thickandthin63 is a true supporter of the club. Although I am boycotting and I would like others to do so I have never criticised those who continue to attend. We are both exercising our free choices. I do take umbrage however at those who seek to put the blame of Charlton’s current plight on anybody else other than Roland.
  • Options
    So, leaving aside the Roland bickering for the moment, how did Parker get on today?
  • Options
    No disrespect to Parker, sure he tried his heart out, but....

I suppose like a journman footballer from Gillingam who are fighting off relegation in Division 3.

• Options
    Mametz said:

Covered End.

“ If you were Roland would you sanction outlay on players if you were hated and humiliated even on your own doorstep? “

Whichever way you read that it seems that he is blaming lack of investment on protesters. The implication is that the protests preceded this lack of investment?

You say that you have protested both here and in Belgium. He thinks you are the problem.

The only interpretation of this is that the club’s predicament has nothing to do with Roland.

Despite this I have no doubt that thickandthin63 is a true supporter of the club. Although I am boycotting and I would like others to do so I have never criticised those who continue to attend. We are both exercising our free choices. I do take umbrage however at those who seek to put the blame of Charlton’s current plight on anybody else other than Roland.

Disageee I think it’s factual

Roland is enjoying the spite he is showing the Charlton fans and if people can’t see that by now then they never will

When we start treating him as irrelevant and focus more on the supporting part that we do so well then he will potentially lose interest in being such a vindictive cnut
  • Options
    Anyway ...

Back to the thread, was Parker a Division 3 journeyman?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mametz said:

Covered End.

I think he is stating his opinion of what RD may be thinking, which does not mean he himself blames boycotters.
    Everybody is entitled to have an opinion, without always having to apportion blame.

He didn't say the protests caused lack of investment, he said he thought it may be why RD would not invest now.

Personally, I think he's wrong & RD wouldn't invest, even if we had 20,000 cheering the team on, because he's never wanted to invest money in players.

When he says the owner is irrelevant, I think he means he's still here despite all efforts & having supported Charlton for 60 odd years, he just wants everyone to get behind the players, especially as he thinks RD might outlast him (no offence).

He's been perfectly civil & I don't see why we can't respect each others viewpoint without getting upset and saying he's blaming me for boycotting etc

Everyone knows RD is to blame, it's just that there are differences of opinion as to what action fans should take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Duchatelet might be upset with Charlton supporters for not recognising his Turing level & brilliant strategy. Really though as @BR3red said, he does not give a shit about pleasing / upsetting fans. I am sure he would exchange the lot if us if he could though for a set of people who went along with the plan. Duchatelet’s strategy is to sell players to fund running of the club. Success with promotion is a by product.

In his brain he still feels that the club can achieve success on the field (despite evidence to the contrary) whilst selling off the best players. Really Duchatelet feels that the main metric of success is getting the club to break even.

He feels that generations of football fans are misguided (& Charlton fans in particular) & wants to instruct as in the error of our ways. He is fixed in this opinion & nothing will shift him. I don’t think he makes decisions to please or upset. It makes no difference to him.

Duchatelet though does seem bothered about his public image / perception in Belgium & getting at him there will have impact.

I believe this is what he thought, but now I believe he knows he was wrong and has lost any small interest he ever had with us.

He’s had a good innings......

• Options

Mametz said:

Covered End.

I think he is stating his opinion of what RD may be thinking, which does not mean he himself blames boycotters. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion, without always having to apportion blame. He didn't say the protests caused lack of investment, he said he thought it may be why RD would not invest now. Personally, I think he's wrong & RD wouldn't invest, even if we had 20,000 cheering the team on, because he's never wanted to invest money in players. When he says the owner is irrelevant, I think he means he's still here despite all efforts & having supported Charlton for 60 odd years, he just wants everyone to get behind the players, especially as he thinks RD might outlast him (no offence). He's been perfectly civil & I don't see why we can't respect each others viewpoint without getting upset and saying he's blaming me for boycotting. Everyone knows RD is to blame, it's just that there are differences of opinion as to what action fans should take.
    Ok.

It may be that he stated his position in a confused way.

I think that we, including me, have taken enough space on a thread about Josh Parker.

Despite my criticism of what he posted, which I still feel is valid, I do recognise that he is a fellow Charlton supporter and as such he is worthy of me standing him a pint.

• Options
    Parker looked ordinary in the 40 odd mins on the pitch .
    There was one nice slick move where I think Williams chipped a ball through to him and he handled near the edge of the box but he was well surrounded .
    A few nice touches but I thought the same of Reeco in all honesty .
  • Options
    With only seven players still in contract after July, and with the likes of Aribo certain to be sold, there's going to be a lot more players of Parker's standard (or worse) come next season
  • Options
    mametz,this all started with a comment about the Parker transfer,would be delighted to share a pint with you and anyone else who cares enough about Charlton to spend time on these forums.
  • Options
    It’s hard to judge Parker on a 40 min appearance in what might have been our worst performance of the season. He certainly didn’t set the game alight, but what would we be saying if his shot/cross had been turned in by Reeco at the far post. I don’t think he did much wrong, but at the same time he didn't shine like Taylor did on his first appearance.
    How Mo Eisa might have done in his place we’ll never know.