Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Yeah or he could still be playing for Charlton. 
    and missing out on 12k a week :)
    Depends on why you play football I suppose. If it's to test yourself against the best players you can, in some of the best stadiums that you can then Premier League or The Championship is the way to go. If its to pick up the money & you dont care if you are playing in front of 5k fans every other week or against players that would just about make League 1 then stay in The Scottish Premiership.
    Or play in Europe and go to the Prem after. 
    What do you class as playing in Europe...?Playing Champions League football against Barcelona and Real Madrid.......or Europa league football against Dudelange and Qarabag FK.
    Both. Of course 99% of players aspire to play in the Champions League but Joe Aribo isn't that good, especially yet. But playing in the Europa League is still something we dreamed of 20 years ago so let's not make out it's too bad. 
  • Options
    Great goal and great praise from Gerrard after the game too. 

However I wouldnt say he's stood out up there, and you really need to stand out North of the border to stand a chance of then making it in the Premier League in my opinion
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fair to say Aribo has been a bit of a disappointment so far. 2 goals in 23 SPL games is an abysmal return for an attacking midfielder in a side who dominate probably 80% of their games.
    Not from my understanding, most rangers fans seem to think he’s class
    From what i've seen he's been getting slaughtered most weeks. Great goal from him though, although the defending was pretty poor. 

Braga are no mugs either, beat Benfica and Porto in recent weeks.

Hagi looks a very promising talent too.
  • Options
    It wasn't the right move for him but in one way, financially it probably was. We tend to look at players in terms of their potential and the goal being optimising it. But many players probably prioritise money over their careers and many agents certainly do. So we look at Aribo and think he has made a mistake but he may not be doing so when he checks his bank account. I think decent players going to Scotland should be at the end of their careers. It is a poor league. 
    In a nutshell.
  • Options
    Great goal and he is doing well so far. More assists than anyone else in the team this season and a great goal on a big stage last night.

Have tickets to the match in Braga so hoping for a good game (resulting in a Rangers win, obvs), combining it with the Porto v Leverkusen match the night before. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Great goal and he is doing well so far. More assists than anyone else in the team this season and a great goal on a big stage last night.

Have tickets to the match in Braga so hoping for a good game (resulting in a Rangers win, obvs), combining it with the Porto v Leverkusen match the night before. 
    Braga is a very strange ground, enjoy.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Braga is a very strange ground, enjoy.
    We’re staying in Porto so only in Braga for a day, I’m sure in typical (and ironic) Rangers style it will be spent in an Irish pub! 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Depends on why you play football I suppose. If it's to test yourself against the best players you can, in some of the best stadiums that you can then Premier League or The Championship is the way to go. If its to pick up the money & you dont care if you are playing in front of 5k fans every other week or against players that would just about make League 1 then stay in The Scottish Premiership.
    What do you class as playing in Europe...?Playing Champions League football against Barcelona and Real Madrid.......or Europa league football against Dudelange and Qarabag FK.
    I would class both of your examples as playing in Europe, on the basis that both examples you gave are European competitions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

What does this even mean.

Both are European competitions so both are playing in Europe.

What point are you trying to make
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    se9addick said:

See you in Braga  B)

btw Joe Aribo is very much appreciated and nobody slaughters him, not sure where that narrative came from.
  • Options
    The comeback masked the fact that it was still a decent result for Braga.
  • Options
    Aribo scores again.
  • Options
    AllysArmy said:
    se9addick said:

See you in Braga  B)

btw Joe Aribo is very much appreciated and nobody slaughters him, not sure where that narrative came from.
    On twitter a lot in recent weeks, although i fully accept that twitter isn't exactly the voice of all fans.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    AllysArmy said:
    se9addick said:

See you in Braga  B)

Dont think you can say nobody slaughters him when there have been a lot of people slaughtering him on twitter, as Chris says it may not be the voice of all fans, but it is still some Rangers fans slaughtering him
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

It means he's not playing in the main Competition that top players aspire too, ie The Champions League.

FWIW Carl Leaburn scored in Europe.....
  • Options
    He's playing in europe against some very decent sides.

You can't say he's not playing in Europe when he very clearly is.

He's not champions league quality yet.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

It means he's not playing in the main Competition that top players aspire too, ie The Champions League.

But you said what do you class as playing in Europe, the Europa League is a European Competition.

Not one person has claimed he is playing in the main competition but he is playing in a European competition and on Thursday night will be walking out in Portugal for probably one of the biggest games of his career so far
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

Yet you think he should have stayed in the Championship? There’s some very good players and stadiums in the Europa League too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

Splitting hairs now.
  • Options
    I was sitting there for large periods on Saturday before Lyle dug is out of a hole, wishing that our midfield was still Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Williams 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

Splitting hairs now.
    Nope.......its called facts.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

He's already played against the Swiss champions, soon to be Danish champions, Porto, Feyenoord and soon Braga.

Ok it's not Barca and Real, but these are some decent sides. Braga for example beat Porto to win the league cup and won away at both Benfica and Porto in the league.

He wouldn't exactly be facing that level of team if he'd gone to a championship side would he? When he retires do you think he'd look back with pride at his trips to Luton and Wigan, or the European nights at Porto and Feyenoord?
    No, I think he'll look fondly back to playing St Mirren, Livingston & Aberdeen. Big games those.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

He's already played against the Swiss champions, soon to be Danish champions, Porto, Feyenoord and soon Braga.

Ok it's not Barca and Real, but these are some decent sides. Braga for example beat Porto to win the league cup and won away at both Benfica and Porto in the league.

He wouldn't exactly be facing that level of team if he'd gone to a championship side would he? When he retires do you think he'd look back with pride at his trips to Luton and Wigan, or the European nights at Porto and Feyenoord?
    No, I think he'll look fondly back to playing St Mirren, Livingston & Aberdeen. Big games those.

Steady on now - don’t be going after St Mirren just because you are getting completely schooled in this argument. 
  • Options
    So what do you think he should have done Golfie? Gone to another Championship side?

If so, are you really telling me you wouldn’t be disappointed by the fact that he went to another club in the same division as us? He would be getting pelters for doing that as well, similar to Grant at Huddersfield

And has been stated before, the option of staying at Charlton wasn’t exactly a realistic one considering how much we had mucked him about with the contract offer.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

Exactly. European football is European football. If we ever qualified for the Europa League and had an away day at Ludogorets we'd be (quite rightly) creaming ourselves. I don't think the Scottish Prem is doing much for his development, but a packed Ibrox on European nights or an awayday to Porto is something he'll be able to tell his grandchildren about.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Redhenry said:
    Lol

Splitting hairs now.
    Nope.......its called facts.
    No the fact is he is playing in the Europa League which means he is playing in Europe.

Thats the only fact here.

For some reason you dont think thats Europe or a European Competition which is confusing everyone.

Joe is 23 years old and last year was playing in League one and in Thursday will be walking out against Braga in Portugal in the Europa League, with time on his side to maybe make the Champions League 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think I have worked it out, maybe Golfie doesn't like to think of the Europa League as "Being in Europe" because then he has to admit to hinself that the lot from Bermondsey have been in Europe recently