Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    AllysArmy said:
    At the risk of upsetting DickiePlumb and his dislike of threads on old players, I see Aribo came on as a 90th minute substitute in Rangers' win over Celtic at the weekend.

Must admit I don't follow Scottish football that closely so would be interested to know has Aribo fallen down the pecking order or has he generally been playing but was just "rested" from this game for some reason?

Anyone heard any rumours about him possibly coming back to England? 
    Sorry to bump this, back for my quarterly visit to your forum and saw this, he’s had a bad run of luck with injuries but he’s one of our better players. Gerrard is big on squad rotation so he hopefully he can get back up to match fitness asap. The general consensus is Aribo could fetch £20m+ He’s was performing at such a high standard in Europe and the league. Incredible feet. No rumours of him leaving yet and hopefully none for a few seasons. 
    £20M will be even more painful when he runs down his contract with you to take the next step up in his career by joining a team like Burnley for free in a season or two.
    We’ll see. Champions league direct entry to group stages as it stands in 2022, playing against some of the bigger clubs in Europe. I have no idea why he would leave for a team that Aberdeen gave a runaround. Friday night, i’ll assume you’re drunk and forgive you for that.  I was going to ask if you have a sell on clause, but then remembered he ran his contract down to join a top European club ;)
  • Options
    £20m+ - I’ve heard it all now.
    Do you think that’s low ?
  • Options
    Glad to see him doing well. Still say its only really in European games where he is really being tested as even Celtic aren't holding up much opposition this season. Another one of our players woefully mismanaged in terms of contracts.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Joe Aribo is absolute class.

One of the biggest (and many) atrocities of Roland’s reign was withdrawing a contract offer just before the start of the 2018/19 season in an attempt to force a sale to interested clubs (reportedly Derby and Southampton) for the paltry sum of £900,000. This from an owner who went on to flog his 20 year old top scorer halfway through an ultimately successful season for 10% of his recent transfer fee and then gave Bowyer a budget to replace him with a Gillingham reserve striker.

Thank God we now have Thomas Sandgaard - this sort of egregious crap is now a thing of the past.

There are so few attacking midfielders with Joe Aribo’s qualities, particularly in confined spaces in the top third of the pitch. I think that @AllysArmy’s figure of £20 million is not wholly unrealistic (albeit on the high side) if football clubs can get all their supporters back into stadia by the start of next season and the economics of the game start to improve. Aribo is bound to be on the radar of many Premier League clubs but his European exposure with Rangers will also alert those further afield. He was linked previously with a German side and I think his highly technical, languid style would also be well suited to La Liga.

The lad has come a long way since Staines and good luck to him. I shall continue to follow his career with great interest.
    Yep, thank god we now have Thomas and the sale of players on the cheap will hopefully never happen again. The only problem is, we don’t have anyone of the quality of grant, aribo, Gomez coming through 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

One of the biggest (and many) atrocities of Roland’s reign was withdrawing a contract offer just before the start of the 2018/19 season in an attempt to force a sale to interested clubs (reportedly Derby and Southampton) for the paltry sum of £900,000. This from an owner who went on to flog his 20 year old top scorer halfway through an ultimately successful season for 10% of his recent transfer fee and then gave Bowyer a budget to replace him with a Gillingham reserve striker.

Thank God we now have Thomas Sandgaard - this sort of egregious crap is now a thing of the past.

There are so few attacking midfielders with Joe Aribo’s qualities, particularly in confined spaces in the top third of the pitch. I think that @AllysArmy’s figure of £20 million is not wholly unrealistic (albeit on the high side) if football clubs can get all their supporters back into stadia by the start of next season and the economics of the game start to improve. Aribo is bound to be on the radar of many Premier League clubs but his European exposure with Rangers will also alert those further afield. He was linked previously with a German side and I think his highly technical, languid style would also be well suited to La Liga.

The lad has come a long way since Staines and good luck to him. I shall continue to follow his career with great interest.
    Yep, thank god we now have Thomas and the sale of players on the cheap will hopefully never happen again. The only problem is, we don’t have anyone of the quality of grant, aribo, Gomez coming through 
    Doughty, Morgan, Wierdu, Barker, Vennings.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Can you see any of them playing in the premier league in the next 2-3 years?  When fit, only two make the squad
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Pleased he doing well. Always happy to see him playing and winning. Come on you Rangers. 

In all seriousness you compare to his path to Karlan Grant. Already cost £15 million and has played 30 premier league matches. Is that a better achievement than Aribo so far?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Hahahahhahahahaha 

Championship at best, league 1 at best, League 2 at best, Championship at best, Championship at best is how I'd rate those 5, in that order and from seeing them play.

Grant plays in the Premier League, Gomez is a first choice centre back for Liverpool and England when fit, and Aribo has been playing European football, none of our current crop will get anywhere near that level
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With today's fees Aribo will fetch £15m easy. Another Roland mismanagement 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Hahahahhahahahaha 

Championship at best, league 1 at best, League 2 at best, Championship at best, Championship at best is how I'd rate those 5, in that order and from seeing them play.

Grant plays in the Premier League, Gomez is a first choice centre back for Liverpool and England when fit, and Aribo has been playing European football, none of our current crop will get anywhere near that level
    Calling Vennings above Morgan at this stage is a bold take. Especially when you consider some of Albie’s performances this season.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    £20m+ - I’ve heard it all now.
    Do you think that’s low ?
    I think it’s too high. We are talking about a player that has played no higher than league 1 in England and in a poor  league in Scotland for 1 and a bit seasons. I know the market is well over inflated but I just can’t see teams willing to pay in excess of £20m. 
    I like the player - and really want him to go on a do really well. He was a class act at Charlton no doubt. I just don’t think he has been tested at a high enough level just yet. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Hahahahhahahahaha 

They’re obviously not in the same class as Gomez but then no one else that’s come through in recent years is.

Calling those 5 all future Prem players is overrating them but it’s easy to forget just how much Aribo and Grant improved. Aribo was a tidy player but didn’t score goals and wasn’t the attacking threat he grew in to. Grant took time and there were plenty of moments when some would have been happy to see him released and were expecting him to drop down the leagues.

Not seeing how you can write Morgan off as League 1 best, he’s still only 20. For me he easily has Championship potential as a minimum. If he can keep his place in the team he’ll keep improving, and he’ll look like a different player if he can develop into a goalscoring midfielder.
  • Options
    I don't think Aribo is worth £20m in the covid depressed market. I also think he is inconsistent and a bit of a luxury player. There are very few such players in today's game. Which is why I am unconvinced about Maddison.

I think Morgan could potentially play in the Premier league but I agree with the view that unfortunately now we have a decent owner there are no stellar players coming through our academy. Vennings the best of the bunch. 
  • Options
    Grant is probably worth more than Aribo only because he is a forward and they mostly fetch more cash
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I don't think Aribo is worth £20m in the covid depressed market. I also think he is inconsistent and a bit of a luxury player. There are very few such players in today's game. Which is why I am unconvinced about Maddison.

I think Morgan could potentially play in the Premier league but I agree with the view that unfortunately now we have a decent owner there are no stellar players coming through our academy. Vennings the best of the bunch. 
    I'm not sure why you see Aribo as a luxury player and mention him in the same breath as Maddison? The Joe I remember could set up and score goals but he also had the ability to play deeper, carry the ball between the lines and wasn't a bad tackler either. On top of all that he had a good engine and decent pace. For me he was one of the two the most complete midfielders we've had in a decade (Gallagher being the other).
  • Options
    Aaron Henry? Looks a good player and only 17. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    This is just it... To predict that a kid wont suddenly improve is a very risky prediction

Some will do it quicker than others - Did we think Scott Parker would be that good before his Norwich loan? - All we can hope is that the likes of Henry | Vennings | Barker all listen to the advise they're given and taken the opportunities they're given.

I bet Peterborough didnt think that Josh Davison would be that good, hence why they released him, they could well regret that soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is just it... To predict that a kid wont suddenly improve is a very risky prediction

Some will do it quicker than others - Did we think Scott Parker would be that good before his Norwich loan? - All we can hope is that the likes of Henry | Vennings | Barker all listen to the advise they're given and taken the opportunities they're given.

I bet Peterborough didnt think that Josh Davison would be that good, hence why they released him, they could well regret that soon
    Agree with that 100% Barker is only a teenager and Wiredu has something about him.  Our academy consistently produces excellent players. Who knows what league the club will be playing in come 3 years time and who those youngsters will be playing for. Safe to say 1 or 2 of them will be part of a premiership set up.
  • Options
    As it stands, I don’t think many of our youngsters will play at a higher level. Morgan and vennings will if they work hard. 

Weirdu is 21 and hasn’t started a league game for us. The loan spell at Colchester wasn’t exactly a success! 

Very few youngsters at league 1 clubs go on to play at the top level. We’ve had relatively good success at producing players recently but none of the current bunch are at the same level. It took grant a long time for it to click, but at the age of 17,  you could tell he had something about him! 

I remember saying on here that very few of the academy team containing Phillips, cousins, fox, poyet, pigott would go on to play in the premiership. Those players are all in their mid 20’s and have found their level. Other members of that team have completely gone if the radar such as Harry osbourne. I got slated for my comments then and they did age well!

Barker has had a good start to his career but we can’t identify him as a future premiership player yet. Just because we all love an academy success story, it doesn’t mean every player will be! Weirdu might have a good career in the game but I can’t see him breaking through with us and I reckon he will be released at the end of his contract.

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Hahahahhahahahaha 

Thing is you just have to sign for Rangers or Celtic to play European football. If Morgan signed Dundalk he would have played European football this season. Just like doughty would have if he signed for Celtic.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Can you see any of them playing in the premier league in the next 2-3 years?  When fit, only two make the squad
    The three mentioned did not all come through together. Gomez was class from day one.
    Aribo was bought from Stains and was not really an academy player.
    Some thought Grant had found his level at Crawley. It shows how players develop. Barker is what, 17? Vennings 20? 
    I was not talking about individual players anyway, just listing a few off my head that will IMO make a good career in football if they avoid serious injury.
    Davison I missed out, but I think he has a very good chance of making it. 

Basically, I do not accept that our academy has stopped producing players of quality.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

The three mentioned did not all come through together. Gomez was class from day one.
    Some thought Grant had found his level at Crawley. It shows how players develop. Barker is what, 17? Vennings 20? 
    I was not talking about individual players anyway, just listing a few off my head that will IMO make a good career in football if they avoid serious injury.

Basically, I do not accept that our academy has stopped producing players of quality.
    Our academy hasn't stopped producing good players that will make is as pros', we do not have any one currently in our academy at this stage of their careers that look like playing at the highest level. Gomez, Konsa, Shelvey, all at a very young age looked like they would play at the top.  All have.   Our current youngsters are not at the same level.

Under previous ownership, we have let very good players leave for £1.5m.  Who could we sell for that figure in the next window.  Morgan?  That's it at the moment.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Our academy hasn't stopped producing good players that will make is as pros', we do not have any one currently in our academy at this stage of their careers that look like playing at the highest level. Gomez, Konsa, Shelvey, all at a very young age looked like they would play at the top.  All have.   Our current youngsters are not at the same level.

Under previous ownership, we have let very good players leave for £1.5m.  Who could we sell for that figure in the next window.  Morgan?  That's it at the moment.
    Doughty? Other than that, I agree, slim pickings.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Doughty? Other than that, I agree, slim pickings.
    Only if he signs a new deal.
  • Options
    Blucher said:hardly class. Struggled in his first couple of seasons with Rangers. This season he has started to come good, but hardly class

• Options
    Gomez already looked like one of the best players on the pitch at Championship level by that age. Not saying Henry can’t make it but it’s nearly impossible to compare anyone coming through to Joe. He was a once in a decade plus talent.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:

Many didn’t rate Konsa and weren’t too bothered about him going.