Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Another Broard 8/15 would be nice about now.
    We'd still lose :-(
  • Had to laugh when a BBC correspondent said Denly isn't a test batsmen and is the top scorer...shows what he knows.
    One doesn't disprove the other, though. Last week for my club, I was joint top scorer in the innings (with 14 lol) batting at 10 and needing a runner because I'd damaged my back. I'm usually a number 10, but it just so happened that we batted terribly.

Denly isn't really good enough to play test match cricket, I don't think, and he's certainly not a long term answer. Scoring 12 in a total of 60-odd doesn't mean he's the most suited to test cricket.
  • edited August 2019
    I’m hoping to see the Sky team utterly rip in to Root assuming they interview him after today’s play. Not ripping into him personally but in terms of the overall team performance and his response as captain. He will be humiliated and won’t be able to defend them 
  • The Ashes have gone.

We need to use the final tests to start a rebuild. Use proper test players and not one day smashers.

honestly you may as well put Ballance in. He may be a snail but at least he lasts more than 5 balls
    That's the spirit! 
  • Had to laugh when a BBC correspondent said Denly isn't a test batsmen and is the top scorer...shows what he knows.
    I may be a little bit biased here but in this series Denly has hardly been helped by his fellow batsmen; he's regularly coming to the wicket with England 2 down for not a lot and so has to try and steady the innings.

He may not have scored many runs (97 @ 19.40) but he's faced 219 deliveries which is behind only the two centurions, Burns (552) and Stokes (324), and Woakes (220).

Roy has only faced 111 balls in his five innings with an average of 9.80 - not exactly setting a sound base for the team.

The skipper has scored only two runs more than Denly and faced 20 deliveries fewer, as well as having two blobs to his name - leading by example ...
  • This is a master plan to avoid batting last on a tricky day 5 wicket.

Win toss, bowl, bat nicely in benign day 3 conditions.
  • Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

We need to use the final tests to start a rebuild. Use proper test players and not one day smashers.

honestly you may as well put Ballance in. He may be a snail but at least he lasts more than 5 balls
    That's the spirit! 
    So you think we can win this match?
  • Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

That's the spirit! 
    Yes, we can.

We won't, but it's a possibility.

OK, it's slightly less probable than a meteor shower hitting the ground, turning out of the footholes, and taking out off stump, but it's a possibility nonetheless.
  • edited August 2019
    Is it just me or this entire series a bit odd?  Looks like two teams of absolute duffers setting out to prove that Test Cricket is dying on its arse. 
    That all batsman take risks now in test cricket and have iffy techniques, which are unsuited to the five day discipline.
    ( Well 3 and a half days !)

The Bowlers are better than the batters in the most cases so far except for Smith all the time and Stokes and Burns on the one occasion. Smith stand in isn't too shabby in 2 innings.

I thought that effort from Broad was hitting leg stump. Had to try for LBW.
  • Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

That's the spirit! 
    Yes I do think we can win it. But I don't think we will. 

A draw keeps the Ashes alive. Giving up on day two of the third test, with the score at 1-0 is a bit defeatist, in my view. 

Don't forget we've come back from much, much worse. On this ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Aussies can declare at 150....
  • I see that Haseeb Hameed has been released by Lancashire. From having such a promising start to a Test career with an average of 43 to possibly the end of a cricketing career in the space of a few years - and so sad that this is all by the age of 22.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

That's the spirit! 

A draw keeps the Ashes alive. Giving up on day two of the third test, with the score at 1-0 is a bit defeatist, in my view. 

We had Test players back then and one-day cricket wasn't the be-all-and-end-all.
  • I was concerned that I would miss a great test match when going to the Valley tomorrow. Now I don't have to worry as it will be more or less over. I expect a declaration of about about 500 lead at team time tomorrow. 
  • Who needs Smith?
  • edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

That's the spirit! 

The match won’t be a draw - we are on day 2 so that’s one result we can rule out.

They are now effectively approaching 150-1.

We can’t bat at test level.

The ashes are gone. Time to rebuild
  • Rudders22 said:
    Who needs Smith?
    Us?
  • 1StevieG said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Who needs Smith?
    Us?
    What's Robin up to these days?
  • Imagine what would have happened to us had we not had "English type conditions" to help us!
  • Harris b Leach 19

36-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Told you 
  • Leach comes on to bowl ...

... and takes a wicket with his first delivery in the match.

Easy!
  • So much for the dukes ball giving us home advantage ...
  • 1StevieG said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Who needs Smith?
    Us?
    Oddily enough doesn't his grandmother come from this country. 
  • Plan B worked.

• We finally bowl Leach (instead of Stokes) and he gets a wicket !! 
  • Plan B worked.

Someone else taking over the captaincy?
  • I was just going to say let Leach bowl all day because I don't want to see Archer and Broad flogged to death after their first innings efforts.
  • Compare and contrast: Charlton shipping eleven goals at Hull and Watford; England collapsing to 67 all out at Headingley.

Actually, “collapse” is too kind to them. It implies they got going to begin with. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    The Ashes have gone.

That's the spirit! 

The match won’t be a draw - we are on day 2 so that’s one result we can rule out.

They are now effectively approaching 150-1.

We can’t bat at test level.

The ashes are gone. Time to rebuild
    That's the spirit!