Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• If it had chucked it down half an hour ago, it would have been a perfect day for England
  • If it had chucked it down half an hour ago all day, it would have been a perfect day for England

• Root scores 140 less than their no 4.
    I think we're about 130 behind.
  • Root lbw Hazlewood 71

175-4
    And that is why Root averages 48 and Smith 66 and the former's conversion rate is 25% whereas the latter's is 50%.

Is it a lack of concentration on Root's part and are all Smith's batting eccentricities and routines the reasons he stays at the crease?
  • Roy b Hazlewood 22

196-5
  • Roy bowled for a brisk 22. He's got all the shots, but not the defence
  • A number 11 would be embarrassed of roy’s Forward defensive. About a foot between his bat and pad.
  • Cue the collapse
    It was always gonna happen
  • Sigh. The pitch looks to have quickened up a bit, but a few soft wickets have gone quite quickly. Worrying times.
  • What the fuck is Roy still doing in the team ffs 

• Sponsored links:

• Fire the goddamned selectors 
  • I’m afraid Roy looked like a walking wicket from start to finish. 
  • We still need 100 to avoid the follow on.
  • dodgy batting .. but also give the Aussies credit for some very persistent and consistent bowling
  • 200-5 bad light stopped play & probably now cop.
  • The really strange thing about Roy's dismissals are the number of times he seems to react, after he has been bowled, as if the ball in question was one of the greatest bowled of all time!
  • dodgy batting .. but also give the Aussies credit for some very persistent and consistent bowling
    The pace and hostility of Cummins today has rather shown up how Archer has bowled in this match. You hope that this is just a one off
  • Roy will never ever be a Test batsman. We've sacrificed Denly at 4 to accommodate him but now is the time to ditch Roy and bring someone like Sibley in to open. 
    Roy will never be a test match batsman I agree. 
    He is a brilliant one day batsman. 
    But please don't kid yourself  that Denly  is any  better. 
  • We still need 100 to avoid the follow on.
    Very rarely nowdays are teams asked to bat again.....but then I think we will be 150/170 behind so it wont be an issue. 

Got to fight for a draw now though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need to bat for two sessions tomorrow to save this test. I fear we won't last much longer than lunch and will be batting again before close of play chasing an impossible total. Can't see us batting out the final day especially as the forecast is good.
  • A shame what looked like a decent day for England became a bad one in the last hour or so.

If we are to save this match it is absolutely imperative we avoid the follow on which is no formality with 98 needed, 5 wickets left, 3 of whom are not great against pace bowling and a new ball in just a few overs.

Others have said they wouldn't enforce the follow on but England as a batting unit have the backbone of a British civil servant negotiating with the EU. The Aussies have a foot firmly on our throat just now and if I was skipper I'd keep it there.
  • LenGlover said:
    A shame what looked like a decent day for England became a bad one in the last hour or so.

If we are to save this match it is absolutely imperative we avoid the follow on which is no formality with 98 needed, 5 wickets left, 3 of whom are not great against pace bowling and a new ball in just a few overs.

Others have said they wouldn't enforce the follow on but England as a batting unit have the backbone of a British civil servant negotiating with the EU. The Aussies have a foot firmly on our throat just now and if I was skipper I'd keep it there.
    The Aussies don't have to worry about their bowlers being too tired for The Oval either, as they have Siddle and Pattinson to bring in if necessary
  • edited September 2019
    Roy has been accomodated for because he is one of "the boys" 

To shunt Denly up the order after he had just made a score just to keep a friend in the side is fucking piss poor weak management. 

Roy failed. Bring another opener in. Well, I say another, Roy never was one in the first place - neither is Denly.

And Root is happy to sacrifice Denly, but when it's his time to bat? Nah, Overton can do it.

I'm clearly speaking from a Kent perspective here, but also as an England fan. Whoever you support - this is clearly absolute bullshit management.  
    Michael Vaughan knows his cricket and overall I like him as a summariser.

However Joe Root can do no wrong and if he (Root) came into the commentary box and urinated over Andrew Sampson's scorebook (or is it a laptop these days) Vaughan would still find an excuse for him! Same applies to Bairstow to a lesser extent.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Here we go. Jason Roy 100 loading.
    I think you meant IMPloding......
  • Only one England batsman has hit a ton today :)
  • edited September 2019
    Leuth said:
    Only one England batsman has hit a ton today :)
    Wow. Moeen seems to have rediscovered his mojo. Good bowling figures too
  • He just needs to have nothing in his head except the desire to attack the bowling. If he can bring that (lack of) mentality back to his four-day form he could well get back in the Test side. He'll have a few games to show what he can do and I think he'll tour.