Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    So, who is the new coach going to be?
    Mickey Arthur
    I hope not. I never trust a bloke with 2 first names
    More bad news for Jason Roy
  • Options
    The Lord God Stevo.

Player-Coach.
  • Options
    I think Rob Key will be moved up for Sky test matches.

what a dream job gower and botham have had. 25 years of touring the world, watching cricket and then out for good food and beers/wine in the evening.
    AND getting very well paid for it 
  • Options
    I was told that ward will replace gower as the main host with key given more tests. If we won the ashes, broad apparently was going to retire and join sky. I’m not sure if sky are waiting for broad and he will still join when he eventually goes.

what a dream job gower and botham have had. 25 years of touring the world, watching cricket and then out for good food and beers/wine in the evening.

I cant believe Stuart Broad would have retired, he has still got quite a few tests in him
  • Options
    I was told that ward will replace gower as the main host with key given more tests. If we won the ashes, broad apparently was going to retire and join sky. I’m not sure if sky are waiting for broad and he will still join when he eventually goes.

I cant believe Stuart Broad would have retired, he has still got quite a few tests in him
    It certainly was rumoured that Broad would retire from England after the series if he'd been dropped, but as it happened he was better than ever. You can certainly see him joining Sky at some point, as he's a natural commentator (and has the looks for a TV career)
  • Options

It certainly was rumoured that Broad would retire from England after the series if he'd been dropped, but as it happened he was better than ever. You can certainly see him joining Sky at some point, as he's a natural commentator (and has the looks for a TV career)
    On that basis, rob key should be on TMS
  • Options

On that basis, rob key should be on TMS
    And I reckon he'd be happy with regular cake deliveries.
  • Options

I always think that being on TMS is up there as far as awesome jobs go. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Mickey Arthur
    I hope not. I never trust a bloke with 2 first names
    Lyle Taylor? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Any idea what they got paid....??

Very surprised to read on here about Gower & Botham. Always like hearing their anecdotes & yesterday Ponting was ribbing Gower anout the Tiger Moth incident. Not sure what Ward or Key can chat about that would be anything near as interesting. 

And I wont say why  I think Holding is part of the "team".....

• Options

Very surprised to read on here about Gower & Botham. Always like hearing their anecdotes & yesterday Ponting was ribbing Gower anout the Tiger Moth incident. Not sure what Ward or Key can chat about that would be anything near as interesting. 

I like Michael Holding hope he is staying, I would be interested why you think he is part of the team, I know you thought Archer might have shit for brains
  • Options
    It is a bit of a regular career path, England cricket captain to Sky, by promoting the likes of Key and Ward, maybe Sky want to lessen this reliance. TMS to me has always had a better balance between having top players (Vaughan, Boycott) and lesser players who make fine broadcasters or analysts.
  • Options
    I like Michael Holding.

Much of my childhood was spent in front of the tele watching a cover drive and hearing him say ".....runs". Love it.
    “You’ve got to put it there on a rrregulaaaaarr basis” is one of my favourites. 
  • Options
    "Uncomfortable"
  • Options
    Stuart Broad will probably join Sky when he retires, but I was very impressed with his bowling in the Ashes and think he has a couple of years at the top still, you are a long time retired, I hope Jimmy is still fit enough to carry on as well, I think he could end up on TMS
  • Options

Gower was on 500k and botham a bit less as he had scales down recently. I’m guessing key and ward will be on a lot less
  • Options
    I used to play occasionally for a mate's cricket team, their facilities were awful.  On the oldest, coldest shower in Kent there was a picture of David Gower.  I asked why, and was told it was the "David Gower Power Shower".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wont hear anything bad about Michael  Holding. He is very good.

It was a little bit sad to see the end of Botham and Gower. My whole life every test match I have ever watched has had those two commentating. Very much the voices of sky cricket. 

Probably the right decision. Botham wasn't a great commentator and Gower was a good host (though seemed to get worse recently) but again an average commentator. Time for new blood but still sad to see..
  • Options
    Key ,Ward and Butcher. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Heard Paul Collingwood is in the frame for next England coach. Would assume he is more likely if they are going to split the roles or appoint a manager an colly work under him. Can't really see him being in sole charge just yet.
  • Options
    Wade really is a prize tosser!
    Hard to see what he was doing/saying and looked like umpire told root off and signalled up as if he’d got a warning? Nothing mentioned on TMS. Was it for anything? 
    Both umpires spoke to him and it's not for this particular instance that I say it. If value of a player is put on the difference between how much you have to say and how much you actually produce, Wade would be at the very bottom of the pile.
    I didn't like him before. I like him even less now:

It was one of the most absorbing moments of the Ashes. Matthew Wade was 84 not out leading Australia’s attempt to save the final Test. Jofra Archer charged in to deliver a stinging 90mph bouncer that struck the batsman on the shoulder.

As Wade recovered his composure Archer continued his follow-through until he was in Wade’s face, nodding and smiling at him as the Oval crowd roared encouragement.

The message was clear: there was bad blood between the two.

A little earlier their faces had come even closer during a tense staring contest that lasted several seconds before either flinched.

This was more than the heat of battle. There was a bit of “beef” between them. Wade has long had a reputation as a boorish and persistent sledger, at times veering into oafishness. It’s not necessarily what he says but more that he just keeps saying it . . . over and over again. 

Once described by Allan Border, Australia’s former selector, as having “a bit of mongrel” in him, the Tasmanian says he performs best when he is in a battle and often tries to manufacture one. He seems to have got the backs up of a handful of England players. Archer, 24, and Wade, 31, are team-mates at Hobart Hurricanes, and some of their animosity seems to be rooted in their time in the Australian Big Bash League.

The bad feeling has fizzed on and off all series. A hint of what was in store came in the fourth Test at Old Trafford. Wade, fielding under the helmet at short leg, was heard encouraging his team-mate Josh Hazlewood to hit the English pace bowler on the head.

“Hit him in the helmet here,” Wade said. “Then ask [the umpire] if it is leg byes or runs, make sure it doesn’t go to your tally.”

Then Wade dragged up Big Bash tribal feelings out on to the Old Trafford pitch, suggesting that Archer was about to defect to a rival team. “Painey, did Heady [Travis Head] tell you Jof [Archer] was saying he’s going to the Adelaide Strikers next year?” Wade was heard saying. “That’s what Heady was saying. Very loyal.”

These comments led to Jonny Bairstow referring to Wade as a “stirrer” during the Oval Test.

The Australian team are understood to believe that Archer was talking too much in public between Tests, with Tim Paine suggesting as much before Old Trafford.

Wade seems to have taken umbrage to the video that had emerged of Jofra Archer impersonating Steve Smith’s unique technique. And Archer’s mickey-take fuelled an increased level of sledging in Manchester.

Wade’s incessant chat from his position at short leg was little more than rambling waffle but was relentless, and annoying. The drivel then got too much even for Wade’s captain Paine, who tried to end it with “don’t say a word in there Wadey”. However, Paine’s words fell on deaf ears.

This was Wade’s first Ashes, having been dropped from the Test team before the 2017-18 Ashes. Justin Langer is believed to like the edge Wade brings but on the Saturday of the final Test, umpire Kumar Dharmasena had to ask Paine to step in to stop Wade verbally abusing Joe Root. He then moved on to Ben Stokes. The pair chuntered on as they walked off at tea on Sunday.

Wade has, apparently, mellowed since having two children — the second was born this summer — but now even Australian icons are losing patience. Ian Chappell said: “If I’m a batsman, I’m not putting up with that. If the umpires don’t step in and stop Wade, I’m going to bloody shut him up as a batsman.”

Wade’s original role in the team was wicketkeeper, and they are often the loudest cricketers.

In 2016 he called New Zealand’s Grant Elliott “a f***ing coward” and in 2017 he called India’s Ravi Jadeja “useless” during a series where Jadeja became the world’s No 1 bowler.

And in the 2017-18 Big Bash, Wade was fined Aus$6,000 for giving Jos Buttler a send-off that was deemed to be intimidatory.

He was described as “embarrassing” by Kepler Wessels after his relentless drone during the 2016 series in South Africa. His reputation is, at best, as a prickly, unpleasant competitor. At worst, it is as was described by one ex-Australian player to The Times last night: “He is an irritating little shit, he is always going at it but at least he’s our irritating little . . .”

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Heard Paul Collingwood is in the frame for next England coach. Would assume he is more likely if they are going to split the roles or appoint a manager an colly work under him. Can't really see him being in sole charge just yet.
    One of the best one day players we’ve ever had. Would rather he gets that role of one day coach rather than overall. 
  • Options
    One of the best one day players we’ve ever had. Would rather he gets that role of one day coach rather than overall. 
    Equally he very successfully adapted his game for test cricket and that could be important with this group of players. 

He was a quality player in all formats and a great captain.
  • Options
    Equally he very successfully adapted his game for test cricket and that could be important with this group of players. 

He was a quality player in all formats and a great captain.
    Yes, he was a decent gritty Test batsman who made the most of his abilities, which sounds like a better foundation for a coach than someone who found it easy.
  • Options
    Chris silverwood or Alec Stewart would just be ECB yes men and wouldn't take the team forward in my opinion 
  • Options
    The S*n sells no copies on Merseyside. I hope from today, they sell no copies in Durham, or to England cricket fans. 
  • Options
    disgraceful front page from the sun. What piece of shit trudges all the way to new zealand to dig up some traumatic events from decades ago?

Ben stokes' response.