Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Gritty Test batsman but also been a coach with T20 leagues as well as S Africa and India, so seems wells qualified for both Test and white ball cricket

Indeed it's in the Test arena where the most work needs to be done, we need to do MUCH better in the next Ashes series down under, and there's the Test championship too. The white ball setup is already strong.
  • edited October 2019
    Damn......mis-read it & thought it was Kirsten Dunst. 
  • Leuth said:
    South African and notably dour as a player, so probably a Flower-esque disciplinarian who won't enjoy any 'individuals'. Get ready for Efficient Well-Drilled Unit England. Unfair?
    Yes
  • no antipodeans or Boers .. I want an ENGLISH coach and assistants for the ENGLISH cricket teams
  • Gary Kirsten looks set to get the job.  Thoughts?
    My son has been coached by him - needless to say very professional but both personable and approachable. Was a gutsy opener and hopefully will use his experience to bring on the likes of Crawley, Sibley et al
    Strangely, many years ago , my son is now 24, and at the time he would have been 6 or 7, i 'spoke' to Gary Kirsten in the local PicnPay supermarket in Cape Town where he was doing book signing. Totally blanked my son who wanted his shirt signed, and was more interested in speaking with his oppo in the store with an arrogant attitude - so, since then i've always had a dislike of him.
  • Silverwood named head coach
  • edited October 2019
    Wow.  Seriously underwhelmed.  That's a typical ECB jobs for the boys appointment of previous eras. I really thought the ECB had moved forward in recent years.

Seriously disappointed with this .  .
  • I'm disappointed they didn't approach Graham Ford TBH.

Not disappointed in the appointment as such - Although I did think that if they took this approach (internal appointment) they would go down the route of having an overarching 'manager' and then a couple of coaches underneath (Silverwood, Colly etc.) taking some individual tours or bits of tours.

I guess this is the continuity approach as he has been a big part of the Bayliss setup. Has experience of winning the championship with Essex. 
  • Two full seasons as Essex head coach and won Division 2 and then Division 1 before joining England as bowling coach.
  • How many years until Harmer qualifies then? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Kirsten's presentation to the ECB was lacking and he wasn't prepared to commit to the various overseas tours. Alec Stewart pulled out because of family reasons.

Silverwood knows the county game inside out and also all the up and coming youngsters so is better placed in that respect than Bayliss was.
  • I'd start buying shares in Dan Lawrence. And maybe Sam Cook too, if we're playing in swinging conditions...
  • Leuth said:
    I'd start buying shares in Dan Lawrence. And maybe Sam Cook too, if we're playing in swinging conditions...
    If we are talking Essex seamers then Jamie Porter ahead of Sam Cook in my view.
  • Self interest aside, I really like Sam Cook.
  • where are the Lions touring this winter ?
  • Porter will need a really good season (or Lions tour) to get back in contention for me. He's been slightly outshone this time around by his admittedly slower partner. There's a good case for both in the Lions squad
  • Kirsten has previously left international jobs due to family issues, so I was always surprised he was willing to take on such a big role that demands total commitment. Was impressed with what Silverwood did at Essex, it certainly shows a change of emphasis back from the white ball game back to the red ball game
  • I think it could be a good appointment, he knows the players and the county championship, where I don't think Bayliss ever watched county cricket
  • would have preferred Collingwood as England coach .. Silverwood did a very good job with Essex and has been part of the international coaching team for quite a while. I'm sure he'll do a good job
  • Leuth said:
    I'd start buying shares in Dan Lawrence. And maybe Sam Cook too, if we're playing in swinging conditions...

Expect a change is gonna come 
  • Sponsored links:

• Feels a little like jobs for mates. But he's obviously done great things at Essex. Overall a bit underwhelmed.
  • Leuth said:
    Porter will need a really good season (or Lions tour) to get back in contention for me. He's been slightly outshone this time around by his admittedly slower partner. There's a good case for both in the Lions squad
    I dont think he has been fit since playing against Australia A for the Lions earlier this season when he injured his back again.

First season he has not taken over 50 wickets.
  • Not England related but didn't want to start another thread. 

Watching the India vs South Africa test match  (sky channel 717 if anyone is interested )Indian cricket fans really don't care about test cricket do they.  India vs South Africa is a big series in world cricket & there's hardly anyone there! 
  • Congratulations to the two England cricketers who today announced engagements...
  • Can anyone enlighten me why we only have 2 tests against NZ this winter, which therefore does not merit any ranking points,  but 5 T20 games.
  • Can anyone enlighten me why we only have 2 tests against NZ this winter, which therefore does not merit any ranking points,  but 5 T20 games.
    Because you can only get one Test in 5 days but 5 T20 games in the same period? But I suspect that it's all about revenue - a 5 day Test will not be a sell out but the T20s will be.
  • Chizz said:
    Congratulations to the two England cricketers who today announced engagements...
    Think, sadly, it might be a while before any of their male counterparts to do so - to each other or otherwise - and the lead demonstrated by Davies in coming out all those years ago has been anything but followed by others.
  • Chizz said:
    Congratulations to the two England cricketers who today announced engagements...
    Think, sadly, it might be a while before any of their male counterparts to do so - to each other or otherwise - and the lead demonstrated by Davies in coming out all those years ago has been anything but followed by others.
    It doesn't follow that the absence of male cricketers coming out means that they're all too frightened to do so, maybe there just aren't many gay male cricketers? After all I'm struggling to think of any who have only come out since retiring, which would be a sign of a sport where people are unable to be themselves.

Female sport has consistently had more gay participants. You look at the number of top female tennis players who are gay, but I'm struggling to think of their male equivalents
  • On a non England theme, Kane Williamson addressing the Oxford Union. Top bloke