Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Am looking up recipes for hat for dinner.
    One innings doesn't make a summer of course and England's still far enough behind to cough up a 50 deficit on first dig.
    Burns has scratched and twitched and played and missed his way to 3 figures.  Captain cretin rode his luck but showed signs of application and maybe even reflection, didn't even burn a review.  Blimus
    Have a day off
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rory Burns played the first Ball and Rory Burns played the last ball of the day.

A fantastic achievement in an Ashes test match.

My local school Whitgift will be proud to see not only Burns but another ex pupil Roy playing in this match.
    What, they are Palace ? 
    You've just ruined the whole day.
    I was going to make a joke about him going to school in Harare but I thought I would le
    t this one pass :p

Kent 'humour' has me in stitches. 

• Credit where it is due.

Burns batted really well today in terms of his application especially.

I hope he can keep it going for a good part of tomorrow too. Could be the making of him at test level.
  • LenGlover said:
    Credit where it is due.

I hope he can keep it going for a good part of tomorrow too. Could be the making of him at test level.

Wow, its almost said grudgingly that its a Surrey opener - what is the problem with you guys? 

lets hope so ' can he keep going for most of the first session?. He clearly has the mental strength and application, as proved today. Maybe just needed the 'score' to make him think he is actually that good.
    Would be fantastic for England to have someone they could pencil in as an opener.

• Plenty of luck for Rory but he grafted and got a ton , thoroughly deserved 

What a touch them not reviewing when Lyon could have had him early on.

im eating a pair of my socks cos I never saw that coming from him , just hope he continues to make me eat my words cos I think he’s a walking wicket .

ill eat eat my chocolate hat for his next score over 50

• Had a bit of luck but what batsmen don’t en route to a ton. 

Thought he really touched it out. 

Root was scratchy and looked like his timing was off to me.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rory Burns played the first Ball and Rory Burns played the last ball of the day.

My local school Whitgift will be proud to see not only Burns but another ex pupil Roy playing in this match.
    What, they are Palace ? 
    I was going to make a joke about him going to school in Harare but I thought I would le
    t this one pass :p

Kent 'humour' has me in stitches. 

Mate I live in Yorkshire where we produce proper home grown players like Gray Ballance and Craig White 
  • LenGlover said:
    Credit where it is due.

I'm expecting him to be out very quickly.
    It would be great if he can stick around for at least another hour.
    If we can bat past tea, we should have a lead of around 150.
    I'm expecting a collapse, but even a lead of 100 could be enough to win the game.
  • Rory Burns played the first Ball and Rory Burns played the last ball of the day.

What, they are Palace ? 
    Don't panic ! They hate Palace.

The time Burns and Roy were at Whitgift, Colin Pates was a sports coach so their either Chelsea or Charlton.

Hold on, he played for Arsenal and Brighton as well.
  • I was convinced that despite their poor record at Edgbaston the Aussies would win this test !
    India could only make 160 odd in the 4 innings last year chasing a modest score.
    If Burns had gone at 21 this game could already be dead level. 

I think the Aussies will rotate their bowlers to keep them fresh through this series.
    I still believe that once Starc sorts out his run up problems he will be MOM in at least 1 test.

With Wood and Anderson possibly out and Archer fitness in doubt unlike the 2005 winning ashes side where we had the same pace attack all summer until Simon Jones missed the last one.

Could still be a sting in the tail if Lyon hits the rough on day 5. 

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:
    Credit where it is due.

Wow, its almost said grudgingly that its a Surrey opener - what is the problem with you guys? 

lets hope so ' can he keep going for most of the first session?. He clearly has the mental strength and application, as proved today. Maybe just needed the 'score' to make him think he is actually that good.
    Would be fantastic for England to have someone they could pencil in as an opener.

For fuck sake stop going on about Surrey/Kent! This is England. You are as boring as shit. 
  • edited August 2019
    Feel slightly sorry for Denly, who had to deal with the swinging replacement ball and was punished for his one error whereas Burns and Root got away with earlier mistakes. If England lose he will be the obvious batting "sacrifice" now as Roy deserves another chance and Burns is now safe for the series
  • I've deliberately kept silent about England's batting today. I so wanted Burns (and Roy) to do well and didnt wanna jinx it. So happy for him top bloke and no one deserves it more. 

We have to remember this is his second home text match. And because he isn't considered a 'sexy' player and isn't part of the old boys club that is the England setup he hadn't been on any lions tours or age group tours - unlike all the others tried in the meantime. So both the Sri Lanka and windies tours this winter were places he had never played cricket before. This is the difference with him and foakes who had done 3 previous tours of Sri  Lanka  so could be dropped in and score a ton and keep comfortably without thinking. Burns deserved a full home summer even though his firm hasn't been great. He was always going to play this sort of innings.
  • Feel slightly sorry for Denly, who had to deal with the swinging replacement ball and was punished for his one error whereas Burns and Root got away with earlier mistakes. If England lose he will be the obvious batting "sacrifice" now as Roy deserves another chance and Burns is now safe for the series
    I would drop Bairstow before I drop Denly. The guy has been poor in Test cricket for a couple of years now and has had far more chances than a player like Denly (or Burns for that matter) is ever likely to get.
  • I've deliberately kept silent about England's batting today. I so wanted Burns (and Roy) to do well and didnt wanna jinx it. So happy for him top bloke and no one deserves it more. 

We have to remember this is his second home text match. And because he isn't considered a 'sexy' player and isn't part of the old boys club that is the England setup he hadn't been on any lions tours or age group tours - unlike all the others tried in the meantime. So both the Sri Lanka and windies tours this winter were places he had never played cricket before. This is the difference with him and foakes who had done 3 previous tours of Sri  Lanka  so could be dropped in and score a ton and keep comfortably without thinking. Burns deserved a full home summer even though his firm hasn't been great. He was always going to play this sort of innings.
    Ha, ditto.
    I hardly posted today as I didn't want to say how well we were doing etc etc.
  • Feel slightly sorry for Denly, who had to deal with the swinging replacement ball and was punished for his one error whereas Burns and Root got away with earlier mistakes. If England lose he will be the obvious batting "sacrifice" now as Roy deserves another chance and Burns is now safe for the series
    I would drop Bairstow before I drop Denly. The guy has been poor in Test cricket for a couple of years now and has had far more chances than a player like Denly (or Burns for that matter) is ever likely to get.

once you get into the squad only death or the loss of a limb will lose you your slot .. central contracts mean big bucks and your mates in the squad will try to make sure you don't lose out .. Bairstow ? .. issue is, who replaces him .. he's a popular bloke and his overall record is not soooo terrible .. but I take your point about some inconsistencies in selection and retention of 'outsiders'
  • Sadly, when you look at the weather forecast, a draw is the likely result. 
  • Sponsored links:

There's enough time for a result, especially if the pitch really starts to spin. It would be a massive turn up after all the predictions of 3 day tests if we end up with a draw...
  • After yesterdays heroics today is a huge day, if we can get past four hundred and have a lead over 125, I think it is ours to lose.  If we can do that and then give them an awkward 10 or 12 overs before the close, hopefully Broad will have one of his magic periods.

Cue us being all out for 294 now.
  • cfgs said:
    After yesterdays heroics today is a huge day, if we can get past four hundred and have a lead over 125, I think it is ours to lose.  If we can do that and then give them an awkward 10 or 12 overs before the close, hopefully Broad will have one of his magic periods.

Cue us being all out for 294 now.
    Bat to tea, with our lower middle swinging the willow in the afternoon,  give their batsmen a torrid hour or two to survive with the Hollies in full drunken voice...
    There's enough time for a result, especially if the pitch really starts to spin. It would be a massive turn up after all the predictions of 3 day tests if we end up with a draw...
    I agree there is a chance. What is needed I think is England get a 100 plus lead with a good chunk of today remaining to get into the Aussies. If they stay in all day it might not work for us, the forecast looks a bit dodgy from Sunday. There will be some play, but will there be enough?
  • Wow, Beefy has put on some weight.
    Sky also seem to have gone casual dress.
  • Wow, Beefy has put on some weight.
    Sky also seem to have gone casual dress.
    His voice seems to be a bit weaker or something as well, constantly needing to clear his throat when he talks and seems less opinionated than usual. Hope he’s okay.
  • Riviera said:
    LenGlover said:
    Credit where it is due.

For fuck sake stop going on about Surrey/Kent! This is England. You are as boring as shit. 
    Wow, such nice words - from such a pompous twat.
    To use your words....'you really don't have a sense a humour, do you?' - along with a serious lack of other things.
  • Taxi driver I had took Botham to ground earlier said he was on crutches .
    Botham fancies a 150 lead and we skittle em 
  • Taxi driver I had took Botham to ground earlier said he was on crutches .
    Botham fancies a 150 lead and we skittle em 
    Think he had his hip done recently