Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    @cantersaddick Should Bairstow stay in the team if the captain wants him? 
    he's Root's personal mate and a fellow Yorkie .. so long as Bairstow can stagger and fumble about, he'll be in the team, so long of course, as Root is skipper
    The question I am really posing is, shouldn't the captain get to choose his own preference as wicket keeper?
    Not really no.

Does Harry Kane get to decide who plays at centre back for England or do Southgate and his coaching team choose?
  • MrOneLung said:
    No. 
    Not even to the extent that, as a long-term team-mate of Bairstow, he knows everything about his game, as both batsman and wicket-keeper; and has formed a trusted relationship, with regards to DRS calls?  

It's an interesting view that he shouldn't get his preference.  Maybe then, it should just be left to the selectors to continue picking him..?
  • tbh i think the only way to get Smith out is to bounce him out.
    Oz can bowl 6 bouncers an over to Broad, so why not Archer...in the next Test.
    A barrage of short bowling at Smith may well be effective but as I've said before let's not get drawn into trying to beat the Aussies at their own game. They are used to facing quick short pitched bowling on much bouncier and quicker pitches than you get in england. We start producing those pitches and leaning towards to that sort of bowling and we will play into their bowlers hands and give our batsmen a much harder time.

Our strength is with the moving ball. Let's use it.
  • Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    No. 
    Not even to the extent that, as a long-term team-mate of Bairstow, he knows everything about his game, as both batsman and wicket-keeper; and has formed a trusted relationship, with regards to DRS calls?  

It's an interesting view that he shouldn't get his preference.  Maybe then, it should just be left to the selectors to continue picking him..?
    The clue is in the name - Selectors
  • edited August 2019
    I have to say watching Anderson bat, I'm not expecting him to bowl. 

Where ever you read or heard Jimmy was bowling flat out was fake news because I heard on the radio someone say gingerly before he came into bat. This could yet be one of the worst calls when Anderson and the fitness coaches gave the green light.
    I'm convinced they score 150 in their 1st innings if a fit Anderson or 4th seamer was available when they were 8 down for 120 odd.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    he's Root's personal mate and a fellow Yorkie .. so long as Bairstow can stagger and fumble about, he'll be in the team, so long of course, as Root is skipper
    The question I am really posing is, shouldn't the captain get to choose his own preference as wicket keeper?
    No. Not if there is a player who is a much better gloveman and is doing more with the bat. 

Bairstow has improved with the gloves and is 'good enough' to keep in tests as long as he is batting well. His batting in the last 2 years has been pretty awful bar one innings. I don't think his batting form is doing enough to warrant his place in the side when he's an inferior gloveman to foakes as well.
  • One of the problems is the test team is now a mirror image of what the ODI team used to be. 

8 of this 11 play white ball cricket for England.  Of the 3 that don't 1 is injured but the other 2 have been amongst or top performers over these 1 and a half test matches.  When was the last time the likes of Ali, Bairstow, Buttler etc played a 1st class game?  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    One of the problems is the test team is now a mirror image of what the ODI team used to be. 

8 of this 11 play white ball cricket for England.  Of the 3 that don't 1 is injured but the other 2 have been amongst or top performers over these 1 and a half test matches.  When was the last time the likes of Ali, Bairstow, Buttler etc played a 1st class game?  
    Spot on, the success of the ODI team has affected test selection, just like the opposite was very true 10 years ago. 

-

Also, names and numbers need to go from tests, adds absolutely nothing and makes the game seem a bit tackier. 
  • Chizz said:
    No.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    No. Not if there is a player who is a much better gloveman and is doing more with the bat

Bairstow has improved with the gloves and is 'good enough' to keep in tests as long as he is batting well. His batting in the last 2 years has been pretty awful bar one innings. I don't think his batting form is doing enough to warrant his place in the side when he's an inferior gloveman to foakes as well.
    Good. That means Ed Smith - who tends to look very closely at players' and teams' stats - will stick with Bairstow, given that Foakes has passed fifty only once in his last seven games, and made just seven and eight against the Australians last month; and Bairstow has made two international centuries in his last five matches. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ball measuring .. as the commentators say, it's there for 80 overs irrespective of the shape or condition .. so stop the players wasting time and put that ring where it belongs, in the rubbish bin
  • Is it a good idea for Joffra Archer to be fielding as a substitute right now?  Wouldn't he be better off proving his fitness by bowling than risking it by throwing himself around the outfield? 
  • Chizz said:
    Is it a good idea for Joffra Archer to be fielding as a substitute right now?  Wouldn't he be better off proving his fitness by bowling than risking it by throwing himself around the outfield? 
    Maybe we should ask the Aussies if they'd mind him bowling. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    No. Not if there is a player who is a much better gloveman and is doing more with the bat

Good. That means Ed Smith - who tends to look very closely at players' and teams' stats - will stick with Bairstow, given that Foakes has passed fifty only once in his last seven games, and made just seven and eight against the Australians last month; and Bairstow has made two international centuries in his last five matches. 
    I'm not sure that is particularly relevant. 4 years ago, if Cook scored two Test centuries in five innings you still wouldn't want him in your ODI team. It works the same the other way round. 

• Chizz said:
    Is it a good idea for Joffra Archer to be fielding as a substitute right now?  Wouldn't he be better off proving his fitness by bowling than risking it by throwing himself around the outfield? 
    As he is new to international cricket I guess the thinking behind this is to keep him involved as much as possible. 
    Just being on the field will give him some experience as to what to expect when he does bowl. 
  • Chizz said:
    Agree, seems silly to me. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I'm not sure that is particularly relevant. 4 years ago, if Cook scored two Test centuries in five innings you still wouldn't want him in your ODI team. It works the same the other way round. 

That's a fair point.  But often a player who'd recently scored match-winning, big scores in internationals should be picked (even if only for reasons of confidence) over someone who's reached double figures only once in his last five matches. 

Foakes has to demand a place by scoring massively and regularly.  He's not doing that. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

That's a fair point.  But often a player who'd recently scored match-winning, big scores in internationals should be picked (even if only for reasons of confidence) over someone who's reached double figures only once in his last five matches. 

Foakes has to demand a place by scoring massively and regularly.  He's not doing that. 
    I wouldn't pick Foakes either. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Bairstows one day form is irrelevant, this is a test series. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Often a player who'd recently scored match-winning, big scores in internationals should be picked (even if only for reasons of confidence) over someone who's reached double figures only once in his last five matches.

Would you agree that Foakes isn't bashing down the door with a huge weight of runs? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    As he is new to international cricket I guess the thinking behind this is to keep him involved as much as possible. 
    Just being on the field will give him some experience as to what to expect when he does bowl. 
    I get that point.  And I was pleased to see him take the field yesterday.  (Did he also field earlier in the match?  I can't remember).  

But I think he'd be better off bowling twenty overs in three spells in the nets, than throwing himself round the outfield.  
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Often a player who'd recently scored match-winning, big scores in internationals should be picked (even if only for reasons of confidence) over someone who's reached double figures only once in his last five matches.

Would you agree that Foakes isn't bashing down the door with a huge weight of runs? 
    If the scores that Foakes has been getting are in limited overs cricket then they are irrelevant 
  • At the rate he's going Smith might get close to beating Bradman's all time record for runs in a series.
  • I can't be arsed to Google it but what is Foakes and Bairstow s batting average in 1st class cricket this season  ?
  • Denly already looking more threatening than moeen 
  • Not good enough from Ali IMO. 

He's looked absolutely cooked in this Test IMO, which saddens me.

I've just seen on the BBC that in his last 10 Tests v Australia he has taken 14 wickets at 78.86.
  • I can't be arsed to Google it but what is Foakes and Bairstow s batting average in 1st class cricket this season  ?
    Bairstow hasn't played a first class match, I think. 
  • Is Woakes injured too???
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I can't be arsed to Google it but what is Foakes and Bairstow s batting average in 1st class cricket this season  ?
    Bairstow hasn't played a first class match, I think. 
    Are test matches not conciderd as 1st class matches. 
    Serious question. 
  • Eng 9/5
    Oz 6/4
    Draw 31/10