Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Bairstow just as clueless as the batsmen with the ball coming out the rough. Just missed a stumping 
  • edited August 2019
    How did the saffers get smith out in their series? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I can't be arsed to Google it but what is Foakes and Bairstow s batting average in 1st class cricket this season  ?
    Bairstow hasn't played a first class match, I think. 
    Are test matches not conciderd as 1st class matches. 
    Serious question. 
    Yes.  Test matches are included in First Class figures. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I can't be arsed to Google it but what is Foakes and Bairstow s batting average in 1st class cricket this season  ?
    Serious question. 
    Technically yes they are.  In that case Bairstow averages 1.6 and Foakes 30.
  • MrOneLung said:
    He was bowled and lbw to Cummins and Siddle in the warm-up match.  Maybe they're the last two straight ones he'll miss this season. 
  • Where is Woakes?!?!?!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Serious question. 
    Technically yes they are.  In that case Bairstow averages 1.6 and Foakes 30.
    Thanks for that.
    So although not great
    Foakes  averages 30
    Bairstow 1.6
    Add to that Foakes is a better keeper than Bairstow and you can see why some people think Foakes should be in the test side.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Don't know but he averaged 23 with a HS of 50 odd.  Maybe someone could phone a friend. 
  • Graeme Swann is only 40 , get him back in .. he also averaged over 22 with the bat in tests 
  • Head goes .. VERY tidy catch by the scapegoat Bairstow
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Reported his team for ball tampering?
  • I have to say watching Anderson bat, I'm not expecting him to bowl. 

Where ever you read or heard Jimmy was bowling flat out was fake news because I heard on the radio someone say gingerly before he came into bat. This could yet be one of the worst calls when Anderson and the fitness coaches gave the green light.
    I'm convinced they score 150 in their 1st innings if a fit Anderson or 4th seamer was available when they were 8 down for 120 odd.
    NB it wasn't fake news because Sky showed him charging in full pace, which I saw.
    He broke down again subsequently.
  • edited August 2019
    This is why Test cricket between England and Australia is the ultimate contest in England. Not in Australia because England normally roll over and throw the tail in after losing the first test.
    Like many wise Judges on CL I couldn't work out how we would get Smith out if he wasn't run out in this series.

Root looked mentally exhausted after the WC and when Buttler said I don't care about anything else in my career now ! (2 weeks before an ashes series)
    Ali being honest (or stupid) saying my form with bat is poor.
    Just felt that England weren't prepared for a motivated Aussie ex captain Smith and team.
    I said when England was on top I fancied the Aussies to win because of our short comings when chasing a smallish total on a 5th day against the only decent spinner in this match plus their seamers who are as honest as a test match is long.

Just like at Blackburn will be glad to be proven wrong as both Buttler and Bairstow can be match winners on a flat pitch where only a top off spinner may cause havoc.

Ps I mean getting Smith out before he has a massive score.( Think both innings in this match)

• MrOneLung said:
    Durban, 56 caught (Maharaj), 38 lbw (Elgar) 
    Port Elizabeth, 25 lbw (Rabada), 11 caught behind (Maharaj) 
    Cape Town, 5 caught (Morkel), 7 caught behind (Morkel) 

The obvious conclusion is that, if we want to put Smith under pressure, we need to pick a slow left arm bowler to back up seamers. 

• As the great Paul Simon would say if he followed cricket: This test is slip, slidin' away from England.

I would rather he suggest 50 ways to get Smith out....
  • LenGlover said:
    As the great Paul Simon would say if he followed cricket: This test is slip, slidin' away from England.

looks more and more like we'll be fortunate to get out of this with a draw .. really depends on how long we must bat on the last day
  • LenGlover said:
    As the great Paul Simon would say if he followed cricket: This test is slip, slidin' away from England.

Smith's average against spinners turning it in (e.g. off-spinners) is around 97. Against spinners turning it away (e.g. slow left armers and legbreak bowlers) is around 36. 

I think Leach will be in the squad for Lord's.  But I also expect a very green, seamer-friendly pitch. 
  • Aussies session. Starting to slip out of England’s hands for the first time this test 
  • Big session coming up, especially for Moeen. Can he fight back?
  • Leuth said:
    Big session coming up, especially for Moeen. Can he fight back?
    we can't afford the rubbish bowling and the concession of 100 runs to find out ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    LenGlover said:

Smith's average against spinners turning it in (e.g. off-spinners) is around 97. Against spinners turning it away (e.g. slow left armers and legbreak bowlers) is around 36. 

I think Leach will be in the squad for Lord's.  But I also expect a very green, seamer-friendly pitch. 
    Archer bowls very nice left arm spin. 
  • Question to the crickets fans on CL.

From what you have seen over this test and knowing India's inability to chase about 180 odd last year at Edgbaston in 4th innings.

Can England score 180 to 280 to win or draw depending on time and weather.

I await the predictions from the various experts on here !
  • edited August 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    No. 
    Not even to the extent that, as a long-term team-mate of Bairstow, he knows everything about his game, as both batsman and wicket-keeper; and has formed a trusted relationship, with regards to DRS calls?  

It's an interesting view that he shouldn't get his preference.  Maybe then, it should just be left to the selectors to continue picking him..?
    The clue is in the name - Selectors
    I thought the England Cricket Captain has a say in selection (so not comparable to say Harry Kane having a say about his team)
  • Question to the crickets fans on CL.

From what you have seen over this test and knowing India's inability to chase about 180 odd last year at Edgbaston in 4th innings.

Can England score 180 to 280 to win or draw depending on time and weather.

I await the predictions from the various experts on here !
    My view is that with Nathan Lyon bowling on a pitch increasingly taking spin much over 200 will prove to be a step too far for a brittle batting line up.
  • Foakes, Wokes and Stokes not quite as good a Lillee, Willey and Kent favourite Dilley rip
  • MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    No. 
    Not even to the extent that, as a long-term team-mate of Bairstow, he knows everything about his game, as both batsman and wicket-keeper; and has formed a trusted relationship, with regards to DRS calls?  

It's an interesting view that he shouldn't get his preference.  Maybe then, it should just be left to the selectors to continue picking him..?
    The clue is in the name - Selectors
    I thought the England Cricket Captain has a say in selection (so not comparable to say Harry Kane having a say about his team)
    Yes I think he has a seat at the table 
  • Anything over 220 and Australia win.
  • We ain’t winning this one ... 
    weak 
  • Get a bit wound up by the anti-Denly journalism. 

Stokes bowled a wide that didn't even hit the strip and it literally wasn't even mentioned on the live text. 

Denly over pitches two balls and is labelled "Utter dross" and "dire". He was our most threatening bowler today.

Stokes is a complete legend for this summer but IMO that is really shitty from the BBC. 
  • The BBC taking the most idiot-headed, reactionary line on affairs? Blow me down