Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Ali obviously hasn't been fit, he had a side strain during the world cup, couldn't bowl properly and was left out.  I wouldn't say dropped. 

On the back of not bowling at all he played against Ireland where he hardly bowled.  No player, I don't care how good they are should go into an Ashes test match that under cooked.  How many overs had he bowled since he got injured?

Stokes hardly bowled in the world cup, then bowled 20 overs in the 3rd innings, he looked rusty.  Why Woakes didn't bowl more on Sunday is beyond me. 

Anderson is a funny one.  He said he was fit enough to play.  When did he know he wasn't? After the 6th ball of his 4th over?  Was he talked into playing?  He doesn't strike me as an ego type. 

I love Chris Woakes, averages over 40 with the bat, in England and takes his wickets at 20.  But him, Anderson and Broad, in a 5 man attack, is to samey. 

I would pick an 18 or 19 man squad and have proper 3 day match between them this weekend.  The lack of red ball cricket is killing them.  If Bairstow bat's for both teams, for example, that's fine. 

If you pick "outsiders" for the next test, where is their red ball form? Everyone is playing slap and tickle in the blast right now. 

As I said the other day the test team is starting to look like the ODI team was 20 years ago.  Then the only "white ball" cricket the "proper players" played, with a red ball funny enough, was 3 texico trophy games a summer.  Then we wondered why we were crap at world cup time. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Ali obviously hasn't been fit, he had a side strain during the world cup, couldn't bowl properly and was left out.  I wouldn't say dropped. 

On the back of not bowling at all he played against Ireland where he hardly bowled.  No player, I don't care how good they are should go into an Ashes test match that under cooked.  How many overs had he bowled since he got injured?

Stokes hardly bowled in the world cup, then bowled 20 overs in the 3rd innings, he looked rusty.  Why Woakes didn't bowl more on Sunday is beyond me. 

Anderson is a funny one.  He said he was fit enough to play.  When did he know he wasn't? After the 6th ball of his 4th over?  Was he talked into playing?  He doesn't strike me as an ego type. 

I love Chris Woakes, averages over 40 with the bat, in England and takes his wickets at 20.  But him, Anderson and Broad, in a 5 man attack, is to samey. 

I would pick an 18 or 19 man squad and have proper 3 day match between them this weekend.  The lack of red ball cricket is killing them.  If Bairstow bat's for both teams, for example, that's fine. 

If you pick "outsiders" for the next test, where is their red ball form? Everyone is playing slap and tickle in the blast right now. 

As I said the other day the test team is starting to look like the ODI team was 20 years ago.  Then the only "white ball" cricket the "proper players" played, with a red ball funny enough, was 3 texico trophy games a summer.  Then we wondered why we were crap at world cup time. 

That's a good idea, after all the Aussies had a match between themselves. It wouldn't be hard to find a few players to bump up the numbers to 22 to create a decent 11 vs 11 match as plenty of decent players aren't involved in the Blast.
  • Is Archer not fit for Lords?
    Archer will be fit for Lords if he can play for Sussex 2nd XI and prove his fitness not bowling a few balls in the nets.

I think you will find, he is down to play for Sussex v Glamorgan  tomorrow in the county championship
    There aren't any CC matches between now and the 2nd Test, just T20 blast

Australia on the other hand DO have a practice game, against Worcestershire so they'll be even more acclimatised to red ball cricket

Sorry you are right, the game I was looking at is a T20 blast
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ali obviously hasn't been fit, he had a side strain during the world cup, couldn't bowl properly and was left out.  I wouldn't say dropped. 

That's a good idea, after all the Aussies had a match between themselves. It wouldn't be hard to find a few players to bump up the numbers to 22 to create a decent 11 vs 11 match as plenty of decent players aren't involved in the Blast.
    On the other hand, you could argue that the last thing they need right now is more cricket.  Playing one more game against players they know very well will do less good than proper rest. 
  • Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

On the other hand, you could argue that the last thing they need right now is more cricket.  Playing one more game against players they know very well will do less good than proper rest. 
    They don't need more, they need PROPER cricket. With a red ball.  If today was an ODI, I would back them to get the target in 50 overs, let alone 90.
  • The more I have been thinking about the first test, the more cheesed off I have become.

Joe Root .. terrific batsman on his day, I now regard him as a very poor captain every day .. It seems to me that his players are too pally with him and do not respect him. He is just another of the lads in a cosy and complacent centrally contracted cartel that needs a good shake up. The captain should be stand alone a little from his players, to be respected is better than being taken for granted.
    I doubt England would have won the world cup if Root had been the skipper. Seems like a nice man, BUT … Team spirit and familiarity have gone too far, change is needed now. it just will not happen of course

My starting eleven at Lords .. out go Denly, Buttler, Ali, Bairstow, Anderson 

Burns .. speaks for itself
    Roy .. last chance saloon .. this is minimum 450 over cricket, not maximum 100 overs .. learn some humility and patience, else get back to the brown hatters
    Root .. would like another captain, there is no one else a t m
    Northeast .. well past the promising youngster category .. chance now or he'll never get in
    Livingstone (Lancs) .. like N'East .. long promised, see if he has what it takes .. also he can be a tidy spinner
    Stokes .. say no more .. I'd give him a go at captaincy .. it won't happen
    Foakes .. Buttler and Bairstow do not warrant selection, time for a change
    Sam Curran ..lefty handed bowler unlike his bro .. some variety to right arm pacers
    Woakes .. obvious selection
    Broad .. as Woakes and Stokes
    Archer .. hoping he is fit, determined and durable enough for 5 days .. obvious selection 

No 'full time' spinner for Lords, debated between Curran and Leach .. opted for Curran.

If 3 of my left field selections get a place, I will donate £1,000 to MacMillan Cancer Care
  • Anderson is officially out for Lords.
  • Archer obvious replacement. 
    But is he fit.
  • 6 for and 100 for Archer today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49255871.  Can't really do much more.  Will be great to see him at Lords.
  • 6 for and 100 for Archer today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49255871.  Can't really do much more.  Will be great to see him at Lords.
    let's hope he can duplicate these feats at Lords .. or even better them ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

Good stuff. Should keep him ticking over.

has Zak crawleys runs dried up at Kent? Was looking very good earlier in the summer
    Great news that Archer took wickets today.  But, having seen the footage of him "running" in to bowl, I am not sure he's demonstrated any level of fitness.  He looked like he was desperately trying to avoid breaking into a stroll.  

I hope he gets another, better workout before Lord's. 
    Good stuff. Should keep him ticking over.

has Zak crawleys runs dried up at Kent? Was looking very good earlier in the summer
    He made runs in his last 2 CC matches, but since mid July it's been all T20 Blast and slogging
  • edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    6 for and 100 for Archer today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49255871.  Can't really do much more.  Will be great to see him at Lords.
    Great news that Archer took wickets today.  But, having seen the footage of him "running" in to bowl, I am not sure he's demonstrated any level of fitness.  He looked like he was desperately trying to avoid breaking into a stroll.  

TBH, that's how he bowls anyway, he never looks like he's putting everything into the release.
    Would be really nice to give Smith some chin music as plan B , after we've bowled 4th/5th stump to begin with. Cant just let him dictate . If that fails then maybe plan C which might be bowling leg stump with Leach bowling over the wicket-but not sure Leach has the control to do that.
     I'm sure they will be discussing these options in the dressing room now.
  • Lord's pitches tend to be very dry these days, so I wouldn't want to go in without a spinner
  • Lord's pitches tend to be very dry these days, so I wouldn't want to go in without a spinner
    That's one of the problems, I think the last time we played at Lords , I think they beat us by an innings and 1000 runs.
  • We either need a spinner who can create real danger for the batsmen - Moeen is usually a wicket taker but seems to have lost his rhythm and confidence - or someone who can keep it tight to hold an end and maybe get a wicket through pressure, an Ashley Giles type. At Edgbaston we had neither
  • Chizz said:
    6 for and 100 for Archer today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49255871.  Can't really do much more.  Will be great to see him at Lords.

TBH, that's how he bowls anyway, he never looks like he's putting everything into the release.
    Would be really nice to give Smith some chin music as plan B , after we've bowled 4th/5th stump to begin with. Cant just let him dictate . If that fails then maybe plan C which might be bowling leg stump with Leach bowling over the wicket-but not sure Leach has the control to do that.
    Did you see the clip?
  • Chizz said:

Did you see the clip?
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Did you see the clip?
    tbh, No i didnt Chizz.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Did you see the clip?
    tbh, No i didnt Chizz.
    Check it out when you can. He's not even jogging in.  
  • Unless his fitness is a formality, we need him to be really trying in this match to see how his body copes. It's no good if next week he bowls like lightning on Day 1 and wakes up crocked the next day
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Did you see the clip?
    tbh, No i didnt Chizz.
    Check it out when you can. He's not even jogging in.  

• Ollie Stone now injured, the England quicks have been Charltonised
  • Got a hope Jofra is fit. If he isn't then you would want Wood or stone to fill that role. 
  • Got a hope Jofra is fit. If he isn't then you would want Wood or stone to fill that role. 

Wood is out for the season and Stone is now injured too
  • Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
  • Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
    Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
    Agreed but my point is they are a different type of bowler. We are after pace and height.
    Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
    Agreed but my point is they are a different type of bowler. We are after pace and height.
    Aren't the Overton's tall and quick? 
  • Selectors have asked Darren Gough, how fit he is