Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• I think its time for Buttler and Bairstow to step up. By giving them a little extra  responsibility by moving up 1(though same for Buttl) ,then there is no hiding place.
  • edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    If Wednesday is washed out (sorry killerandflash), do they bowl more overs on the other 4 days, or is it still limited to 90 overs a day max ?
    The former.  
    There is still a 7pm cutoff though, and with the dismal over rates you'd be lucky to get many more than 90 in a day anyway
    So with a slow over rate (normal) they often finish at 18.30.
    So effectively have an extra half hour per day.
    Still looking like it could be a 4 day game.
  • Chizz said:
    If Wednesday is washed out (sorry killerandflash), do they bowl more overs on the other 4 days, or is it still limited to 90 overs a day max ?
    The former.  
    There is still a 7pm cutoff though, and with the dismal over rates you'd be lucky to get many more than 90 in a day anyway
    Notwithstanding the fact that the over rates are embarrassingly poor nowadays, the theoretical minimum would go up by 15 overs per day on days two, three and four. So, losing 90 overs in day one should only result in losing half of those in the match.  As long as the weather holds.  

The cutoff - if I am reading the regulations right - can be extended by half an hour, if one of the captains can convince the umpires there can be a result.  So, in theory, the timing for day two, three and four could be 10:30 - 6:30 (an hour added, split between before the scheduled start and after the scheduled end) and then extended by half an hour in order to allow the fielding team to complete the 105 overs, and then extended again for another half an hour to try to end the game.  So, 10:30 - 7:30.  

Although, there is a contradicting regulation that says you can only play for two and a half hours after the end of the tea break. 

So, in short, if you lose some time on day one, you can add a bit on some of the other days.  But it's not clear how much, when or what for. 

Simple!
  • I don't think a home Test has ever started before 11am.
  • I'm going on Wednesday. The weather at the moment looks appalling
    Also going on Wednesday. Forecast not good. I did have a ticket for the first day at Edgbaston which was probably England’s best day in the last test but had to miss it due to a trip away.

The only game I saw live in the World Cup was England’s defeat to Australia so not having a great summer on the cricket front. Just as well Charlton have started well.
  • If the forecast stays the same I wouldn't bother going Wednesday, as it will be a complete wash out.
    But it could yet change and often does.
  • edited August 2019
    If anyone has a ticket for Wednesday at Lord's and has decided not to go, please change your mind.  

Any day spent at a Test match is  brilliant experience, even when play is compromised by the weather.  But Lord's is even more special.  It's the best sporting stadium in the wold, in my view.  So anyone getting a chance to spend time there should do so.  There are plenty of places under cover; loads of places to get food and drink; and, for any cricket fan, the world-class museum.  

There are grounds where rain is utterly awful - yes, the Oval, I am looking at you - but Lord's is a wonderful, special place.  If you have a ticket, go, and enjoy it. 
  • I've been to Lords around 50 times.
    Good luck to you if you think you'll be able to get 30,000 people crammed into less than 10 covered areas.
    I think you'll find 29,000 get drenched. 
  • Chizz said:
    If anyone has a ticket for Wednesday at Lord's and has decided not to go, please change your mind.  

Any day spent at a Test match is  brilliant experience, even when play is compromised by the weather.  But Lord's is even more special.  It's the best sporting stadium in the wold, in my view.  So anyone getting a chance to spend time there should do so.  There are plenty of places under cover; loads of places to get food and drink; and, for any cricket fan, the world-class museum.  

There are grounds where rain is utterly awful - yes, the Oval, I am looking at you - but Lord's is a wonderful, special place.  If you have a ticket, go, and enjoy it. 

I agree with your comment about Lords being the best sporting venue in the world - I've probably been there about the same number of times as CE, and it still gives me a tingle every time I go - just a wonderful sporting venue, unlike no other on the planet, though, must admit,Newlands in Cape Town is also special, but in a different way.

There are plenty of places to keep dry should it be raining, if you are in a wet seat, then head for under the Grand stand or Mound Stand or Tavern. I-ve not been there since they redeveloped the Warner Stand, but assume there must be some dry areas there too. I would expect with most people, they have seats that are covered anyway, but if you are in top tier of Compton or Edrich then you might want to head for the concourse of the Grandstand.
    Good luck to you if you think you'll be able to get 30,000 people crammed into less than 10 covered areas.
    Lower mound is dry, and behind it as is lower Compton/edrich. Dry behind grandstand too. Granted some will get wet but only if they go and stand on nursery. 

Oval is terrible for rain delays. I’ve spent many a match stood under a slither of a stand overhang with one arm getting wet. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Changing the subject completely, I was just looking up some stuff on Wiki about dear old Freddie Trueman..
    Can you believe it was 13 years ago that the old rogue passed away, Christ how time flies.....it doesn’t seem possible.
    What a “ back when I were a lad, we used t’ bowl 50 overs afore lunch” character he was!
  • Chizz said:

I agree with your comment about Lords being the best sporting venue in the world - I've probably been there about the same number of times as CE, and it still gives me a tingle every time I go - just a wonderful sporting venue, unlike no other on the planet, though, must admit,Newlands in Cape Town is also special, but in a different way.

There are plenty of places to keep dry should it be raining, if you are in a wet seat, then head for under the Grand stand or Mound Stand or Tavern. I-ve not been there since they redeveloped the Warner Stand, but assume there must be some dry areas there too. I would expect with most people, they have seats that are covered anyway, but if you are in top tier of Compton or Edrich then you might want to head for the concourse of the Grandstand.
    We are in the Upper Compton so will likely be seeking shelter!

My favourite moment at Lords was a few years ago at an ODI versus Australia when Doug Bollinger was fielding on the boundary for Australia. Some of the spectators started firing the corks from their champagne bottles at him. Only at Lords.

Going for free - If anyone is interested and wants it, I have a single ticket for day 5 of the last test at the Oval in the Bedser Stand. They sold a load off for £25 and of course there is often a good chance the game won't go to the last day, although there have been some memorable day 5s at the Oval. My wife and I have now decided to head off on holiday for two weeks and I can't make it. If interested, inbox me with your address and I will send it to you.
  • It's always a crush, but most of the bigger grounds are better now than they used to be for sheltering from the rain. The modern large stands tend to have more space underneath them

Good luck sheltering from the rain at Canterbury for example when it has a decent crowd!
  • Chizz said:

We are in the Upper Compton so will likely be seeking shelter!

My favourite moment at Lords was a few years ago at an ODI versus Australia when Doug Bollinger was fielding on the boundary for Australia. Some of the spectators started firing the corks from their champagne bottles at him. Only at Lords.

Going for free - If anyone is interested and wants it, I have a single ticket for day 5 of the last test at the Oval in the Bedser Stand. They sold a load off for £25 and of course there is often a good chance the game won't go to the last day, although there have been some memorable day 5s at the Oval. My wife and I have now decided to head off on holiday for two weeks and I can't make it. If interested, inbox me with your address and I will send it to you.
    Should have added - Monday, 16th September
  • Still baffles me how people - even those who have been there fifty-plus times - can't spell Lord's right. 

:wink:
    Lower mound is dry, and behind it as is lower Compton/edrich. Dry behind grandstand too. Granted some will get wet but only if they go and stand on nursery. 

Oval is terrible for rain delays. I’ve spent many a match stood under a slither of a stand overhang with one arm getting wet. 

Suzi, I don't think we are talking about rain delays, if the forecast is correct.
    Heavy rain is forecast all day.

Anyway, if killerandflash wants to schlep along in the pouring rain and stay there all day in the pouring rain, I truly hope he has an enjoyable time. 
  • edited August 2019
    Chizz said:
    Still baffles me how people - even those who have been there fifty-plus times - can't spell Lord's right. 

:wink:
    Baffles me why some people live to troll:smile:

Suzi, I don't think we are talking about rain delays, if the forecast is correct.

Anyway, if killerandflash wants to schlep along in the pouring rain and stay there all day in the pouring rain, I truly hope he has an enjoyable time. 
    good point. I am due to go Friday and Saturday. i work a 15 min sprint away from the ground, so any rain delays on Friday keep me in the office saving holiday hours.  

This time last year we headed up there even though the forecast was shoddy with the aim of staying within a 30 min distance so we could be there for the start of play once the covers came off.  Ended up going to the museum of brands to waste a couple of hours and then the pub (The Chapel at Edgware Road). Still no play. Just very very drunk. 
  • edited August 2019
    I've been to Lords around 50 times.

I imagine that unless you're travelling a long way (or have never been to Lord's and want to see the museum etc) a lot of people will just stay at home or work and hope for the weather to relent. It'll take at least an hour before play can restart, longer if it's been raining for several hours.

The alternative is hiding from the rain under the stands and knocking back the £5.60 a pint Pedigree all day! 
  • Sponsored links:

• you can take in a bottle of champagne/wine or 2 cans of beer each, but standing drinking them in the rain isn't much fun.  late weather check and stay local is my advice. 

better to do the lords museum tour on a non match day when you can visit the long room and dressing rooms and museum anyway. we've done it twice and hoping to go again to see the new board. 
  • Plan for Wednesday: 

1. Win the toss 

2. Put Australia in to bat 

3. Open the bowling from the shallow end 

I imagine that unless you're travelling a long way (or have never been to Lord's and want to see the museum etc) a lot of people will just stay at home or work and hope for the weather to relent. It'll take at least an hour before play can restart, longer if it's been raining for several hours.

The alternative is hiding from the rain under the stands and knocking back the £5.60 a pint Pedigree all day! 
    Exactly, an hour or so, crammed under the stand with hundreds of others, whilst it hammers it down, may be acceptable if it looks like there will be play soon after.

But unfortunately the forecast is heavy rain all day, so as it stands there is zero prospect of any play.
    Despite Chizz promising a brilliant experience in Wednesday's driving rain, I strongly suspect the vast majority will disagree and not turn up for an event that is effectively postponed (on current forecasts).
  • Just seen the weather forecast. Its not just Wednesday that looks like a washout but the weekend as well, especially Saturday.  I reckon only 2-3 days play at most.

A Draw is almost certain.

• Just seen the weather forecast. Its not just Wednesday that looks like a washout but the weekend as well, especially Saturday.  I reckon only 2-3 days play at most.

A Draw is almost certain.

Does this possible justify the team i posted above with Curran in for Denly. Its being pushed by a number of pundits and writers in the last couple of days.

Pack the side with bowling and hope we can maybe shock them!
  • If it's wet and overcast, maybe play Curran instead of Leach?
    Lots been made of left arm spin against Smith so can't see him not playing tbh. Reckon they're gonna go full out with the variations - Pace of Jofra, left arm swing of Sam, bounce of broad, swing of Woakes (plus he is always magic at lords) and the left arm spin of Leach. I'm not a fan of the 6 bowlers approach but can see the logic in it.
    Lots been made of left arm spin against Smith so can't see him not playing tbh. Reckon they're gonna go full out with the variations - Pace of Jofra, left arm swing of Sam, bounce of broad, swing of Woakes (plus he is always magic at lords) and the left arm spin of Leach. I'm not a fan of the 6 bowlers approach but can see the logic in it.

Yep, have to do something different than at Edgbaston. I like Vaughans team tbh.
  • Test Matches in England shouldn't start on Wednesdays.  And it looks like this one won't either. 
  • edited August 2019

I remember going to Lord's (ok?) one year v Oz and standing Under the Grand Stand to keep out of the rain as it had pissed down all day, i turned to my son at about 17.00 and said, 'come on, lets go home, there's going to be no play today', only to get home and find that 16 overs had been bowled ( the drainage system at Lords is magnificent).

On checking the conditions on the ticket, the refund mechanism kicks in if less than 15 overs have been bowled ! (not sure if its still the same).

So, even though it might rain all day - if there is a dry hour at end of day then they will possibly get some overs in.