Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• the light is bad. they should go off.... 
  • Diabolical. Our middle order was supposed to be our strength. More of an underbelly at the minute. Roy will get selected again for the next couple of tests, well established that dropping batsmen after a couple of bad matches is a bad bad move. 

Moeen will be the only one dropped, and maaaaybe bairstow as well. If Anderson is out injured that makes the selectors jobs a bit easier with putting in archer. 
    Denly will be dropped before Ali or Bairstow.
  • Lights have come on. Woakes needs to bump into the umpire and claim he didn't see him because it's too dark
  • Any sign of rain ?
    I'm free !

:smile:
  • Roy should stick to bish, bash bosh. No way his he a Test opener.
  • Burns, Sibley/Denly, Root, Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes/Curran, Woakes, Archer, Broad, Leach

Is what I would do next test. final choice on No7 and opener decided when see the pitch.
    Selfish but Denly should go back to play in a successful team in kent.  

I hope Roy is given another chance, despite the ugly dismissal and if Bairstow is dropped then Foakes comes in as he is a top keeper.

Leach is a no brainer for Ali,  and they will be paranoid about Archer's fitness.

If Sibley opens with Burns we go from Rory and Jason Roy going to the same school in South Croydon, when Jason arrived from South Africa to Burns and Sibley both being born in Epsom.

Not a lot of People know that.

I will defo take the draw now.
  • Issues not addressed = same result. Bairstow and Ali both need to go back to county cricket 
  • Good. Jimmy is off the mark. I'd have hated to see him get a duck in his final test innings.
  • Any sign of rain ?
    I'm free !

:smile:
    Thank you John Inman
  • redman said:
    Wilson is standing in the next test as well !

He has had 8 decisions overturned.
    Not according to TMS. They said he is third umpire but due back for Headingly

Your correct, Wilson is not standing at Lord's but sitting as he is the TV umpire and back on the field for the third test.

hopefully sitting watching the decision review coverage will teach the blundering half wit a little of where a cricket ball is likely to carry on  its trajectory and remind him one can't be out LBW if the ball is hit with the bat
    nowhere nearly good enough at any stage
  • Sponsored links:

• Embarrassing yet again, but mainly because we were a bowler down.
  • It's all over now Baby Blue
  • As near as makes no odds an innings defeat.  Aussie only needed one Smith innings to comfortably overcome England.  Losing Anderson after half an hour was dreadful management.  122-8 in 44 overs to 284 in 80 was the work of cretinous captaincy, Moeen and Stokes mostly bowled filth, taking wickets with pies and half-trackers.  Woakes only bowling 13 overs in the 2nd dig was even worse, fewer than all but the cretin himself. Never trying to get Steve Smith out was basically throwing the game, 9 on the boundary with the side 130 for 8 is just crooked.

Pairstow's keeping isn't good enough to keep him in the side, Moeen Ali needs a month or two in Worcester's 2nd XI
    Whether Ed Smith can throw off his establishment shackles to drop the dead weight, remains to be seen, you can count me a sceptic.
    There's a bit of a break til the next game, at Aussie's absolute favourite venue, after that the games are back to back.  Avoiding a crushing 5 nil is gonna require cool reflection, no sentiment, terrible weather and bigger cojones than this rabble of crybabies and pisstakers have demonstrated in years.  
  • Why send Anderson out?  We've lost, he's injured.

Jimmy Anderson is already embarrassed as it was his decision to play according to Graham Thorpe. Not to even try would be a Grahame Swan type of capitulation in Australia.
    Theres comes a time when you can't keep waving the White flag even if it just helped the honest Woakes get to 50.

I want England to just pick a team that are fit physically and Mentally.
    That rules out Anderson and Ali who is so down on confidence that he did an article tell everyone so before the match !

I want Jos Buttler to state that he's up for the fight after saying he doesn't care if he does nothing else in his career.

The first test was always too soon after the WC. The England team ran out of energy on Day 3.
    Maybe not knee jerk after 1 test but the 3 obvious one have to make way and question marks over Roy, Denly and Buttler who may follow Ali, Anderson and Bairstow out the team after lords if they don't adapt quickly to the 5 day test format. 

Ps. I'm a big Joe Denly fan so my Kent bias may be why I want him dropped but he haven't made the step up so far.
  • Think they will set us 360 odd. We will be a couple down by close tonight & all out before tea tomorrow. 

Only thing that can save us is the weather. 
    Looks like I wasnt far wrong. Only thing I got wrong was that wd werent 2 down by close  yesterday. Takes a certain team to lose all 10 wickets in under 2 sessions. 
  • It is a big concern that the motivation and mental energy just isn't there for many of the English players when compared to the Aussies

The World Cup was the big thing for us, whereas with the Aussies who haven't won here in the Ashes since 2001 and have several World Cups anyway, the Ashes are more important
  • Think they will set us 360 odd. We will be a couple down by close tonight & all out before tea tomorrow. 

Only thing that can save us is the weather. 
    Looks like I wasnt far wrong. Only thing I got wrong was that wd werent 2 down by close  yesterday. Takes a certain team to lose all 10 wickets in under 2 sessions. 
    You are a better cricket tipster than at football !

So am I as I thought Charlton would lose by a few yesterday but  England would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in this test.

Oh Jimmy Jimmy.

• Woakes has made 37no and 37, both times lumbered with a non runner at the other end. If he can do it, why can't our batsmen?
  • 2nd Test I'd go:

Sibley
    Burns
    Root
    Roy
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Archer (Curran if Archer's not fit).
    Broad
    Leach

This, though I would swop Buttler and Stokes around. Not sure why Buttler is above Stokes anyway - and it gives a slightly more balanced right/left etc.
  • The main problem with this team is picking one-day chancers instead of proper batsmen. Rip it up and start over. In an ideal world:

Burns
    Sibley
    Root
    Northeast
    Hildreth 
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Woakes 
    Archer 
    Leach
    Broad 

Curran for Hildreth if you're feeling gung-ho, which I'm not 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dale Steyn has retired from Test cricket, so we won't have to face him next winter. Still available for ODI and T20 internationals
  • I think it would have been very different if Jimmy would have been fit the whole of the game but full credit to the Aussies namely Smith and Lyon 

3 changes for next game 

Sam Curran for jimmy 

Leach for Ali

Foakes for yjb 

• Ali is a busted flush. He should be no nearer the Test team than me. 
  • edited August 2019
    Root, terrific batsman, sometimes .. clueless skipper, sometimes .. there is no obvious replacement as skipper
    Picking a semi crocked 37 year old and a semi crocked newcomer as a possible replacement .. selector Smith needs to have a look at himself and his advisers .. modern cricket produces lots of very good one day batsmen but very few of test calibre, other than Australians … I suspect there will be few changes for Lords, simply because there is a lack of realistic alternatives 
  • Is Archer not fit for Lords?
  • Ali is a busted flush. He should be no nearer the Test team than me. 
    Congratulations on being the highest wicket taker in Tests last year, Golfie 

;-)
  • edited August 2019
    Root, terrific batsman, sometimes .. clueless skipper, sometimes .. there is no obvious replacement as skipper
    Picking a semi crocked 37 year old and a semi crocked newcomer as a possible replacement .. selector Smith needs to have a look at himself and his advisers .. modern cricket produces lots of very good one day batsmen but very few of test calibre, other than Australians … I suspect there will be few changes for Lords, simply because there is a lack of realistic alternatives 
    TBH, OZ don't have that many Test match quality batsmen imo - but they have Smith, simples. The rest ,Warner aside, would probably struggle to get in the England team - on paper.
    To me, it seems quite clear they is a serious hangover from the WC. and they do look a tad mentally weary. They've now got 9 days til the next one then 2 back-to-back. I think its time for the likes of Burrler,Bairstow and Root to just go on holiday for a week, and come back refreshed. The likes of Stokes and Woakes seem to be less affected by it all.
    You are likely to be true re changes - as the management try to move away from the knee-jerk selections of some 10/20 years ago. So, for me there will likely be just the 2 , Archer and Leach for Jimmy and Ali. Not sure that Leach is good enough with the ball yet for Ashes cricket though.
    Ali is like Stephen Finn of x years ago In Oz....unselectable.
    Archer will be fit for Lords if he can play for Sussex 2nd XI and prove his fitness not bowling a few balls in the nets.
    Archer will be fit for Lords if he can play for Sussex 2nd XI and prove his fitness not bowling a few balls in the nets.

I think you will find, he is down to play for Sussex v Glamorgan  tomorrow in the county championship

I think you will find, he is down to play for Sussex v Glamorgan  tomorrow in the county championship
    There aren't any CC matches between now and the 2nd Test, just T20 blast

Australia on the other hand DO have a practice game, against Worcestershire so they'll be even more acclimatised to red ball cricket