Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Start the car ...
  • We won't get to 150
  • Selectors to blame
  • Will take the draw now. 
  • LenGlover said:
    The vultures have circled round Denly ever since he made his test debut.

Sadly for him, though maybe not for Kent, they will need to find another scapegoat now I fancy.

My problem with Denly isn't his performance for England it's why he was selected in the first place.  He was picked for the Sri Lanka tour because he could bat a bit and bowl some half descent leg spin.  Fair enough. 

Now on the basis of no evidence that he is good enough he is batting at 4, yes 4, not 7 or 8, in an Ashes series.

Nothing against him at all, more than the process of how he got there.  Tbh I hope he proves me wrong. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    LenGlover said:
    The vultures have circled round Denly ever since he made his test debut.

Sadly for him, though maybe not for Kent, they will need to find another scapegoat now I fancy.

My problem with Denly isn't his performance for England it's why he was selected in the first place.  He was picked for the Sri Lanka tour because he could bat a bit and bowl some half descent leg spin.  Fair enough. 

Now on the basis of no evidence that he is good enough he is batting at 4, yes 4, not 7 or 8, in an Ashes series.

Nothing against him at all, more than the process of how he got there.  Tbh I hope he proves me wrong. 
    I've never thought Joe was good enough to get a call up as a Test batsman only.  To me his best chance of international success was in the 50 over format, as a fluid batsman who can also provide a spin option.
  • edited August 2019
    Edgbaston was England's banker.  I think we'll lose the series now 
  • Roy batted fine till he remembered  he is more Pietersen than Boycott and got out to an ugly shot.
    I said the other day that Root has looked shattered since he did the pre match interview after the toss. I know he wasn't the captain in the WC but I remarked that he looked pressured. That wasn't helped by Jimmy saying I'm fit and then being a passenger after 4 overs. Ali losing all confidences, Stokes who blows hot and cold as a bowler, himself and Denly as part time spinners and Woakes and Broad having them 122-8 and no 3rd bowler to kill the Aussies off for 150ish in the 1st innings 

When I said 3-1 to the Aussies because of trying to refocus after the efforts of the WC I truly believed that Australia would win this test and beat their Edgbaston bogey. Maybe it was a dream or remembering Lyon causing havoc in the ashes series back home that I just felt he's now matured in the last two years and at 31 is too clever for many of our batsman on any wicket on the last two days of a test match.

We have two sessions and the ball is spinning. 

Good luck lads. Your need a bucket load.

• Any sign of rain ?
  • Burns, Sibley/Denly, Root, Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes/Curran, Woakes, Archer, Broad, Leach

Is what I would do next test. final choice on No7 and opener decided when see the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another beautiful knock from Bairstow. Really making the position his.
  • Any sign of rain ?

According to the Beeb, rated at 0% chance. Bit like England today I'm afraid.
  • Any sign of rain ?
    Yes

... looking out of the office window here in Norwich.
  • edited August 2019
    Any sign of rain ?
    Yes

... looking out of the office window here in Norwich.

Could you go outside and start blowing it in a westerly direction. 
  • Wilson is standing in the next test as well !

He has had 8 decisions overturned.
    Not according to TMS. They said he is third umpire but due back for Headingly
  • Interesting point made on TMS. A lot of talk has been made of duke ball. However Aussies much better prepared for the red duke ball. They have had a team playing over here for six weeks playing against counties and England Lions. Or some like Siddle and Pattinson playing for counties for even longer. I think I am right in saying only 3 of their side played in world Cup. Most of ours had. So total lack of practice and also some look tired. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Another beautiful knock from Bairstow. Really making the position his.

I see he reviewed it again
  • Laddick01 said:
    Funny I feel more comfortable with Woakes at the crease than I do with almost any other English batsman.
    If he can just keep the strike for the next 4 hours we'll be fine.
  • redman said:
    Wilson is standing in the next test as well !

He has had 8 decisions overturned.
    Not according to TMS. They said he is third umpire but due back for Headingly

Your correct, Wilson is not standing at Lord's but sitting as he is the TV umpire and back on the field for the third test.

• Sponsored links:

• 2nd Test I'd go:

Sibley
    Burns
    Root
    Roy
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Archer (Curran if Archer's not fit).
    Broad
    Leach

• edited August 2019
    Be fair this Ali 4(27) is the best I’ve seen him bat in a while.

Edit: Lol.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Be fair this Ali 4(27) is the best I’ve seen him bat in a while.

Edit: Lol.
    bok. 
  • Moeen  c Warner b Lyon 4

Walk to the pavillion.

And then carry on walking to Worcester.

Or @Leuth's house if you want a shoulder to cry on.
  • Pathetic to see
  • Diabolical. Our middle order was supposed to be our strength. More of an underbelly at the minute. Roy will get selected again for the next couple of tests, well established that dropping batsmen after a couple of bad matches is a bad bad move. 

Moeen will be the only one dropped, and maaaaybe bairstow as well. If Anderson is out injured that makes the selectors jobs a bit easier with putting in archer. 
  • Pathetic to see
    the game itself or the speed that Anderson walked out? 

• Lyon really showing up Moeen's bowling yesterday
  • Why send Anderson out?  We've lost, he's injured.
  • Diabolical. Our middle order was supposed to be our strength. More of an underbelly at the minute. Roy will get selected again for the next couple of tests, well established that dropping batsmen after a couple of bad matches is a bad bad move. 

Moeen will be the only one dropped, and maaaaybe bairstow as well. If Anderson is out injured that makes the selectors jobs a bit easier with putting in archer. 
    Denly and Moeen will be dropped I think, they won't drop Bairstow.

Should though.