Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• There is a bowler who took a five-for in his last test innings. 

step forward Mr Caddick 
  • Selectors have asked Darren Gough, how fit he is
    Selectors have asked Darren Gough, how fit he is

saw him doing the Sky analysis with Bob Willis after the 1st test, he spoke a lot of good sense  .. fit for action ? .. he needs to lose a stone .. or 6 ((:>)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
    Sam Curran, Porter and one of the Overtons will be next on the ladder after Archer I assume
    Agreed but my point is they are a different type of bowler. We are after pace and height.
    Aren't the Overton's tall and quick? 
    Talk but not the sort of 95mph quick that archer and wood get and not as quick as stone either.
  • I see Australia are playing a warn up game this week so they'll be even sharper for the 2nd test.......GREAT!
  • Root needs to up his captaincy or play a captains innings like Smith did (don’t tell me he wasn’t really captaining the team out there)  
  • Selectors have asked Darren Gough, how fit he is
    Selectors have asked Darren Gough, how fit he is

saw him doing the Sky analysis with Bob Willis after the 1st test, he spoke a lot of good sense  .. fit for action ? .. he needs to lose a stone .. or 6 ((:>)
    I saw that. He obviously isn't dancing any more.
  • Mo dropped for 2nd Test. But Bairstow keeps his place.
    In the squad not necessarily the 11. Yes the squad is fairly heavily weighted to the bowlers but we could well be planning to revert to the 6 bowlers including 3 all rounders make up that we used with good effect against India.

Curran has been getting reasonable runs batting 3 for surrey in the T20.

I expect Bairstow will play but nothings been decided yet - other than taking Mo out the firing line which is by all means the right call.
  • Glad for Joe Denly that he has another chance, though he's probably a bit lucky too.
    this lot could lose by an innings at Lords .. yet STILL keep their places
  • Sponsored links:

• Rashid confirmed out for the summer, so a great chance for Leach to play the next 4 Tests and cement his place as the number 1 spinner
  • I'm going on Wednesday. The weather at the moment looks appalling
  • edited August 2019
    I'm going on Wednesday. The weather at the moment looks appalling
    Sorry mate, but that's good news for me as I have tickets for Friday and Sunday.
    Mind you it will likely change before then.
    Sorry mate, but that's good news for me as I have tickets for Friday and Sunday.
    Saturday looks poor as well. Could be 2 Tests going the full 5 days
  • edited August 2019
    Do you remember the effort we went to to change the Ashes program so we didn't have the world cup straight after an away ashes. 

Yer they were happy for this to happen.  Its been a shambles. 

Come the 1st week of August 2 players had been playing red ball cricket, one had missed weeks with injury, one was in and out of white ball teams so managed a couple of games.  The other 7 had played either 1 or none red ball games all summer.  That's outrageous to be honest. 

Ali is a player that needs to bat a bowl a lot to be in rhythm.  Before the 1st test I doubt he had bowled 70 overs or faced 70 balls all summer.  Stokes hardly bowled in the WC, yet was suddenly picked in a 5 man attack.

No one in the country is playing red ball cricket, you can't pick anyone on form.   You should have batsman knocking on the door with big 100s, they can't if they aren't playing.  Total farce! 

Saturday looks poor as well. Could be 2 Tests going the full 5 days
    That's what I'm hoping.
  • Going Friday and Saturday but expecting weather issues. 

Have one more KP ep to go and totally agree. Awesome but what a nob. A few ex England players don’t come out of it well either. 
  • Going Friday and Saturday but expecting weather issues. 

Have one more KP ep to go and totally agree. Awesome but what a nob. A few ex England players don’t come out of it well either. 
    I've always spoken very highly of him on here!
  • Vaughn Haas written an article for telegraph cricket explaining his selection for the second test and I found it hard to disagree tbh.

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad 
    Leach.

Archer for Anderson is obvious as is Leach for Ali.

He then makes the point that currans left arm swing is invaluable when you combine it with the lords slope so he has to play. You compare him to Denly and you have to think he will contribute more in every innings of the match with bat and ball. Stokes to 4 and use his bowling sparingly in short spells.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Vaughn Haas written an article for telegraph cricket explaining his selection for the second test and I found it hard to disagree tbh.

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad 
    Leach.

He then makes the point that currans left arm swing is invaluable when you combine it with the lords slope so he has to play. You compare him to Denly and you have to think he will contribute more in every innings of the match with bat and ball. Stokes to 4 and use his bowling sparingly in short spells.

I like that - still looks like a strong batting line-up, and gives a lot more bowling balance.

• Just finished watching the Kevin Pietersen documentary . Absolutely fascinating.  An incredible cricketer, but an absolute twat 

You cant deny, he was an incredible batsman.
    Anybody watch Banton bat yesterday? whilst not suggesting he is or might not be as good as, but there is definitely a bit of Pietersen'esque about him.

• Vaughn Haas written an article for telegraph cricket explaining his selection for the second test and I found it hard to disagree tbh.

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad 
    Leach.

Not a bad side, definitely agree that Stokes should be used as more of a batsman. Not sure he is a good enough 4 though. That team bats to 9 (maybe 10 considering Broad's innings last week) but we need more from the likes of Buttler and Bairstow. 

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad 
    Leach.

I agree with that team 
  • I understand the logic, but Stokes, Butler and Bairstow at 4, 5 and 6 is 1 to high.

If Archer, Broad and Woakes aren't taking wickets, is Curren likley to?

If its moving in the air or off the pitch Curren isn't likely to need to bowl much.

The real season you would pick that team is you think that Curren and Woakes are more likely to score runs with the bat than any batsman we could pick. 

That last point maybe true, but not one you would expect a captain and selectors to publically admit. 

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad 
    Leach.

To me that team has too many bowlers and not enough batsmen. Yes we struggled at Edgbaston, but then with Jimmy injured and Moeen off form the 3 remaining pace bowlers had to do more work. With 4 fit seamers and Leach who can hopefully hold an end better, Stokes won't have so much to do anyway. 

There is an argument about whether Denly is good enough, but if you replace him it's surely with a "proper" batsman, whether Northeast, Sibley etc 

If you really want to play Curran, you could always drop Bairstow and get Buttler to keep wicket. Or indeed drop Buttler, as both seem mentally shot at the moment

• If Wednesday is washed out (sorry killerandflash), do they bowl more overs on the other 4 days, or is it still limited to 90 overs a day max ?
  • If Wednesday is washed out (sorry killerandflash), do they bowl more overs on the other 4 days, or is it still limited to 90 overs a day max ?
    The former.  
  • Chizz said:
    If Wednesday is washed out (sorry killerandflash), do they bowl more overs on the other 4 days, or is it still limited to 90 overs a day max ?
    The former.  
    There is still a 7pm cutoff though, and with the dismal over rates you'd be lucky to get many more than 90 in a day anyway
  • At the moment the forecast is looking pretty poor for the weekend as well. A good chance of a draw