Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• edited July 2019
    So from the 2011/12 team we only had the below who had previous Championship experience

Michael Morrison | Leon Cort | Andy Hughes | Johnnie Jackson
    Danny Haynes | Bradley Wright-Phillips | Yann Kermorgant

From the current squad:

Jason Pearce | Chris Solly | Ben Purrington | Naby Sarr
    Darren Pratley | Jake Forster-Caskey

So there is basically one player difference in terms of that experience, now that team in 2012/13 finished 9th with the signings of Kerkar | Gower | Fuller | Wilson | Dervite

Again the two in bold the only two signings that had previous Championship experience
    To say that Sarr has championship experience is stretching it somewhat - can't have played more than half a dozen games at that level before being sent back to France on loan. Also whilst the Chris Powell team ended up 9th it was a real struggle for much of the season and a good run at the end of the season flattered to deceive as the following season proved. Worth also noting that our 20 goal striker - BWP did not adapt well to championship despite having played there before.
  • So from the 2011/12 team we only had the below who had previous Championship experience

Michael Morrison | Leon Cort | Andy Hughes | Johnnie Jackson
    Danny Haynes | Bradley Wright-Phillips | Yann Kermorgant

From the current squad:

Jason Pearce | Chris Solly | Ben Purrington | Naby Sarr
    Darren Pratley | Jake Forster-Caskey

So there is basically one player difference in terms of that experience, now that team in 2012/13 finished 9th with the signings of Kerkar | Gower | Fuller | Wilson | Dervite

Again the two in bold the only two signings that had previous Championship experience
    To say that Sarr has championship experience is stretching it somewhat - can't have played more than half a dozen games at that level before being sent back to France on loan. Also whilst the Chris Powell team ended up 9th it was a real struggle for much of the season and a good run at the end of the season flattered to deceive as the following season proved. Worth also noting that our 20 goal striker - BWP did not adapt well to championship despite having played there before.
    Could say the same about David Button who only played  a handful of loan games at this level prior to joining us
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Which position would you say is at Championship standard?
    We've only got half a team atm. Just thought your comment was a tad harsh. Time will tell, I'm not crying into my beer yet....
    That's why I said currently.
    bit of a pointless comment..
    Doesnt the transfer window close is just over 3 weeks? Having half a team at this stage is a disaster.
  • sam3110 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A very different level admittedly but when I was managing youth and senior teams, at this time of the year, if you had managed to say goodbye to a lot of the ‘dead wood’ in your squad and were in a lean position able to add half a team, you were in a very good position. That’s how o see us - the quality is about to be added and I wouldn’t be surprised if taylor’s contract isn’t improved once all that is done - to give him some sort of parity as I see him as the talisman of this squad 
    We lost some of our best players in Bauer, Aribo, Cullen and Bielek, hardly deadwood.

Vetokele, Reeves, Marshall, Parker, Fosu, a couple of the youngsters that didn't make the grade, there was also a lot of Deadwood let's be honest
    Yah, clearly we've cleared a lot of deadwook off the books but the points stands that we've lost - and not yet replaced - some of our best players, to claim it's a 'very good position' is utter madness.
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    We've only got half a team atm. Just thought your comment was a tad harsh. Time will tell, I'm not crying into my beer yet....
    Doesnt the transfer window close is just over 3 weeks? Having half a team at this stage is a disaster.
    Standard whilst RD has been in charge, not ideal but look what happened last season. Not panicking yet....:)
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Standard whilst RD has been in charge, not ideal but look what happened last season. Not panicking yet....:)
    Window closes a lot earlier this year, so quite a different scenario
  • Anybody who claims the premiership stars of the future are not championship standard is damn right, they’re better than that
  • edited July 2019
    Recruitment thus far in terms of numbers required has been a disaster. That’s not to say it will end up that way but at this point it’s awful. 

There are a number of reasons possible but its hard to look past having a tiny budget as being the main problem. 

Im sure LB/SG are working tirelessly but I’m really hoping that we are not pinning all our hopes on PL loans to plug the huge gaps. Fine if it works as with Bielik and Cullen last year but if it doesn’t come off then we can write this season off already. 

One person to blame here. Roland Duchatelet.

• Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I think the loan signings will define our season.
    Heard any whispers mate ?
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    'I reckon we'll get 3 more first teamers in, leaving us horrificly short.
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I think we’ll get more than that but they need to be of the right quality. Bodies in for the sake of bodies will doom us. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    I think we’ll get more than that but they need to be of the right quality. Bodies in for the sake of bodies will doom us. 
    I hope you're right, I just don't see RD making that sort of financial commitment to a club he cares nothing for.
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Can't really answer that atm
  • I realise this info is from Transfer Markt website but if you look at our first team squad = 17 players with a value of £4.19 million as compared to Blackburn Rovers with a squad = 26 players and value of £27.14 million you can see what we could well be up against.

For interest Millwall have = 20 players valued at £15.89 million
  • If we can get one of Cullen or Beliek back I'd be delighted. Love both of course but they made the difference. Also signing Jonny will be great.

I've been really impressed with Albie Morgan think he is just going to get better and better. Along with JFC back fit if we can get the above back we'll be in a better position in midfield compared to where we were for Sunderland away last season 
  • I realise this info is from Transfer Markt website but if you look at our first team squad = 17 players with a value of £4.19 million as compared to Blackburn Rovers with a squad = 26 players and value of £27.14 million you can see what we could well be up against.

We're at least 6 players short.
  • Deadwood is such a horrible term to use for anyone, let alone players who were playing members of a promotion squad and one of whom played at Wembley.

Not good enough, yeah, fair enough but how soon we discard our heroes.

The squad currently is nowhere near strong enough or deep enough.

We'll have to see how it looks on 8 August but so far, not enough bodies or experience.

Meanwhile Millwall sign a championship experienced Icelandic international.
    Spot on, we have lost 7/8 players who could do a job in the Champ and we haven’t replaced them yet. 

Bowyer and Gallen have earned themselves the benefit of the doubt but it’s very difficult to see how the squad is going to be competitive. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Interpreting that as we are working on some and are fairly close but you can’t say in case the deal collapses.

Thanks Redhenry! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Interpreting that as we are working on some and are fairly close but you can’t say in case the deal collapses.

Yep.thats how I see it
  • Sage said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

If we're not working on anything then we're proper effed! Just dont see us signing anyone on the 5k a week we're apparently offering

I wouldn't pay too much attention to those valuations. They're usually as much as £10m-15m undervalued. Hang on, that reinforces what you're saying.

As you were.... :)
  • Swisdom said:
    I’m confused

is Napa actually Driessen? Or Jesus Christ
    Diesen recommend Jesus as data from napa suggested he was good on crosses 

Jesus saves but killer gets the rebound
  • All this talk about players value etc.is crap,look at the best paid players in the premier league,ozil,sanchez,pogba,total waste of money,Sunderland signed Will Grigg,waste of money,Cattermole on 30000 + per week,who went up.Get players in who want to play,players with a a point to prove,academy players(Lapslie,Morgan) who love the club.This is the Charlton way whoever owns the club.
    Don’t get me wrong I think websites like the one I sited above are generally rubbish but that’s not to say complete rubbish. Looking at Charlton's 17 1st team squad what figure would you realistically come up with as a collective value ? And there is a value that would be realistic. Our freebies now that they are under contract do have a value. Lockyer and Aneke would now command a decent transfer fee and of course Taylor would too but on the whole our squad is probably about as valueless in terms of saleable assets as it’s ever been. I also realise that just because a player is valued and perhaps bought for a good fee it doesn’t automatically follow that they are good value. That is where a good manager comes into their own. Curbishley always managed to get a team greater than the sum of its parts. I feel Bowyer has the knack too. My initial point was that Charlton's squad to the casual observer, compared to Blackburn’s is woefully inadequate. The Championship is a very tough league. Competing with a league one budget is challenging at best and suicidal at worst. Time enough yet for Bowyer and Gallen to pull it out of the hat but as we currently stand we are not anywhere near being capable of giving Blackburn a game.
  • Last seasons championship was a prime example of my point.Did Norwich and Sheffield Utd.have more valued squads on paper than Leeds,Derby,Middlesborough,WBA and othres,I dont think so although I stand to be corrected,Our most succesful seasons have come when we have had managers that have an eye for players that fit into a system,I believe Bowyer has that ability.Unlike the Leeds and Derbys of this world we are under no pressure to get into the premier league,and I am sure that with 2-3 more decent signings which will come,we will cause a lot of teams problems.
  • Last seasons championship was a prime example of my point.Did Norwich and Sheffield Utd.have more valued squads on paper than Leeds,Derby,Middlesborough,WBA and othres,I dont think so although I stand to be corrected,Our most succesful seasons have come when we have had managers that have an eye for players that fit into a system,I believe Bowyer has that ability.Unlike the Leeds and Derbys of this world we are under no pressure to get into the premier league,and I am sure that with 2-3 more decent signings which will come,we will cause a lot of teams problems.
    Love your optimism but it’s going to take more than 2 - 3
    Love your optimism but it’s going to take more than 2 - 3
    This. We need a whole midfield to come in. I like JFC but is he injury prone? Lapslie needs a loan to build experience. Morgan looks quality on the ball but goes missing off it. Pratley turned up in the big games in a big way but I don't think he should be a starter. 
  • Whose played in the championship before? 
    Solly - on the decline
    Sarr - Struggled before but confident now
    Pratley - on the decline x2
    Pearce - solid
    JFC - unconvinced 

Doesn't scream quality does it?