Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• So lets see about Liam Bridcutt.
    Is age 30, late for most midfielders. He has 1 goal in 178 matches in The Championship over his whole career. He was signed by Sunderland for £4.2M in 2014 and has since been sold for less than that twice by clubs wanting to offload him and now this will be offload number three. He is not good enough for another team in our own division and after looking at the Forest Forum page, no one there will miss him.
    I call that a "pass."

Not fair to judge him on goals, the bloke is a defensive midfielder. And there will be numerous players deemed not good enough for our Championship rivals who could do a job for us. 
    Perhaps. But I trust their own fans, who have seen him in person for some time. Not one person on their board want him back. That alone is good enough for me. His value in Transfermarkt has dropped 4 straight years, a bad sign, And paying a transfer fee to get a midfielder who will be 31 this season is very unlikely to be a wise investment, in my opinion.
    I know nowt about him but no one on the Leicester boards had a decent thing to say about Yann when he joined us and he was exceptional and should undoubtedly have played PL football for longer than he did IMO.
    So the old... "there is one exception way over here, way back when, that disproves the multitude of studies that say the contrary" theory? ;)

It's the same thing I was mentioning in another thread... people always find one or two outliers and then project that fallacy out that the basic argument is flawed. Mountains of studies show players peak by age 25-27 and generally start declining afterwards. One study even shows the peak is 23-25. (Defenders peak between 25-29, across studies, as do keepers.) By age 30 you are taking a real big risk, not just with quality but with injuries too. I do not wish to hope we are the outlier-geniuses that find the diamond in the rough that disproves the aggregate of facts and odds.

We are a small club and to fight the very established odds (to me) is a big mistake. We need to go with the odds and make every player count, not hope some 30-31 year old being told he can leave another club in our division because he is not good enough is somehow going to morph from a frog to a swan under Lee's care. For a transfer fee no less. At least that is how I see it. If anyone wants links to data and studies on when football players peak, PM me. I have studies by universities, economists and FIFA, itself, for those interested.
    Napa does love his moneyball shite
    Going with the odds works more than going against them. Fact. That's why it's called odds. :#
    Is age 30, late for most midfielders. He has 1 goal in 178 matches in The Championship over his whole career. He was signed by Sunderland for £4.2M in 2014 and has since been sold for less than that twice by clubs wanting to offload him and now this will be offload number three. He is not good enough for another team in our own division and after looking at the Forest Forum page, no one there will miss him.
    I call that a "pass."

Not fair to judge him on goals, the bloke is a defensive midfielder. And there will be numerous players deemed not good enough for our Championship rivals who could do a job for us. 
    Perhaps. But I trust their own fans, who have seen him in person for some time. Not one person on their board want him back. That alone is good enough for me. His value in Transfermarkt has dropped 4 straight years, a bad sign, And paying a transfer fee to get a midfielder who will be 31 this season is very unlikely to be a wise investment, in my opinion.
    I know nowt about him but no one on the Leicester boards had a decent thing to say about Yann when he joined us and he was exceptional and should undoubtedly have played PL football for longer than he did IMO.
    So the old... "there is one exception way over here, way back when, that disproves the multitude of studies that say the contrary" theory? ;)

It's the same thing I was mentioning in another thread... people always find one or two outliers and then project that fallacy out that the basic argument is flawed. Mountains of studies show players peak by age 25-27 and generally start declining afterwards. One study even shows the peak is 23-25. (Defenders peak between 25-29, across studies, as do keepers.) By age 30 you are taking a real big risk, not just with quality but with injuries too. I do not wish to hope we are the outlier-geniuses that find the diamond in the rough that disproves the aggregate of facts and odds.

We are a small club and to fight the very established odds (to me) is a big mistake. We need to go with the odds and make every player count, not hope some 30-31 year old being told he can leave another club in our division because he is not good enough is somehow going to morph from a frog to a swan under Lee's care. For a transfer fee no less. At least that is how I see it. If anyone wants links to data and studies on when football players peak, PM me. I have studies by universities, economists and FIFA, itself, for those interested.
    Isn't that the method Brentford have used? 

I like Napa's insights. Like mine they will sometimes be wrong. I tend to like people like Bridcutt. 
  • edited July 2019
    So lets see about Liam Bridcutt.
    I call that a "pass."

Going with the odds works more than going against them. Fact. That's why it's called odds. :#
    Only if you're the bookie.

Yet again you confuse "odds" with professional knowledge and judgement.

An algorithm is not a substitute for knowing what you are doing.

Driesen the stat man v Gallen the football man.  I know who my money's on.
    Even then, sometimes it doesn't work.

Sometimes, the relationship between a player and a club is greater than the sum of its parts.

Sometimes, a player looks perfect for a club, and for some undefinable reason, it isn't.

More of an art, than a science...
    I call that a "pass."

It’s called ‘odds’ because the numbers being offered are different eg 3 to 1, 5 to 2 etc. When the numbers match ie 1 to 1, it’s called ‘evens’. Rocket science I know but there you go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just caught up  on 10 pages of this thread & the only rumour I've seen is that Napa coild be Driessen

I'll never learn! 
  • Think wages would be a problem with Bridcutt , was tidy enough a few years back for Brighton. 
    I call that a "pass."

Look at this way though napa. We have just extended Pearce’s contract and most are very happy with that.

Based on your views/stats on bridcutt it would suggest Pearce would not be a good signing. Stats I assume would suggest his value going down, not played as many games etc but as we know from him being at Charlton he is a very good player and just as important character and experienced professional. 

Bridcutt for me in this squad would be a improvement on pratley (due to age) and provide experience etc. 
  • Apologies if mentioned already but isn’t Jamie Ward available on a free?  Signed a four year deal with forest summer of 2015?  Be worth a punt.
  • Apologies if mentioned already but isn’t Jamie Ward available on a free?  Signed a four year deal with forest summer of 2015?  Be worth a punt.
    Think we need to look higher than that now we are in the champ - he’s 33 and on loan wasn’t exactly a star..... just alright.

i say we need to look higher - be interested to see whether that’s even possible on our budget
  • Sponsored links:

Think we need to look higher than that now we are in the champ - he’s 33 and on loan wasn’t exactly a star..... just alright.

i say we need to look higher - be interested to see whether that’s even possible on our budget
    Understood but didn’t bowyer mentioned experiences championship players, and be good back up to Williams if he signs.
  • When you sign old players especially midfielders they’ve got to have the legs still and be able to give 100%. That is what you can definitely say about Pratley. We signed a midfielder couple of seasons ago can’t remember his name think he was from Brighton dark hair. Was good player but did not have enough left in his legs. To get around the pitch. I think Pratley is going to be very important this season as it proved in the playoffs.
  • Swisdom said:
    I’m confused

is Napa actually Driessen? Or Jesus Christ
    Diesen recommend Jesus as data from napa suggested he was good on crosses 
    As a young man who was strong on assists.   I remember Judy Sill saying he was a crossmaker
  • Swisdom said:
    I’m confused

is Napa actually Driessen? Or Jesus Christ
    Diesen recommend Jesus as data from napa suggested he was good on crosses 
    Wrong Jesus. 
    He is a goalie. 
    Think how many times you have seen “Jesus saves”. 
  • Napa mate. You've more than once referenced economists and papers by economists.

I am a professional economist I work in government here. I use analysis to provide the evidence on which policy decisions are based. I have also produced more than 50 official stats releases in the last 4 years. 

If anyone is an advocate of the use of data and evidence in sport it's me. I read a number of analysis based football and cricket blogs. The dream is that one day once I've set myself up to move into working in sports analysis - more likely cricket than football. 

There is a difference between me - someone who does this for a living, has a degree and professional qualifications in this stuff. And you someone who (at least this is how it comes across) has read a book a bit of stuff on the internet about it. The difference is that I know that beneath every stat is a number of assumptions all of which will have a number of caveats. Not understanding these and the linitations they cause for the results is serious and the cause of a number of massive public failures in the last few years.

Any econometric model will have some serious caveats particularly when applied to something like football. 

Money ball and the like sound great when you first hear it but when taken alone rarely actually works. Elements of it can be used in conjunction with other traditional parts of football (scouting, the human side etc.) But you need much more than that. 

People often quote Southampton and the work they did under Les Reed as proof it works similarly Brentford at the moment. But that is completely missing the point. The stats and analysis were simply one point of a massive wider piece of work. It's the one that gets talked about most but it was actually only a small part. 

The point is when used right analysis is invaluable but when too much weight on it can become useless.

Your assertion that we shouldn't sign anyone over the age of 29 as they would have no resale value is laughable. Yes we would want players with resale value but players also provide value in other ways. Such as what they bring on the pitch (you know the actual football) and what they bring off the pitch in terms of passing on experience and the atmosphere around the camp. 

We have had numerous players in the last few years who have come in on 1 or 2 year deals towards the end of their career and been hugely valuable on this sense. Look at Pratley last season or before him Hughes or even Euell when he returned. Ricardo fuller came in and did a job for a year and was key in us staying out the relegation battle that season. Like in every workplace you need a mix of ages and experiences to get the best out of a squad as a whole.

The situation we are in a few players with experience who can come in on short term deals do a job for us and guide the younger players through tougher situations may well be enough to keep us up.
    hear, hear
  • what a load of rubbish
  • Napa mate. You've more than once referenced economists and papers by economists.

I am a professional economist I work in government here. I use analysis to provide the evidence on which policy decisions are based. I have also produced more than 50 official stats releases in the last 4 years. 

If anyone is an advocate of the use of data and evidence in sport it's me. I read a number of analysis based football and cricket blogs. The dream is that one day once I've set myself up to move into working in sports analysis - more likely cricket than football. 

There is a difference between me - someone who does this for a living, has a degree and professional qualifications in this stuff. And you someone who (at least this is how it comes across) has read a book a bit of stuff on the internet about it. The difference is that I know that beneath every stat is a number of assumptions all of which will have a number of caveats. Not understanding these and the linitations they cause for the results is serious and the cause of a number of massive public failures in the last few years.

Any econometric model will have some serious caveats particularly when applied to something like football. 

Money ball and the like sound great when you first hear it but when taken alone rarely actually works. Elements of it can be used in conjunction with other traditional parts of football (scouting, the human side etc.) But you need much more than that. 

People often quote Southampton and the work they did under Les Reed as proof it works similarly Brentford at the moment. But that is completely missing the point. The stats and analysis were simply one point of a massive wider piece of work. It's the one that gets talked about most but it was actually only a small part. 

The point is when used right analysis is invaluable but when too much weight on it can become useless.

Your assertion that we shouldn't sign anyone over the age of 29 as they would have no resale value is laughable. Yes we would want players with resale value but players also provide value in other ways. Such as what they bring on the pitch (you know the actual football) and what they bring off the pitch in terms of passing on experience and the atmosphere around the camp. 

We have had numerous players in the last few years who have come in on 1 or 2 year deals towards the end of their career and been hugely valuable on this sense. Look at Pratley last season or before him Hughes or even Euell when he returned. Ricardo fuller came in and did a job for a year and was key in us staying out the relegation battle that season. Like in every workplace you need a mix of ages and experiences to get the best out of a squad as a whole.

The situation we are in a few players with experience who can come in on short term deals do a job for us and guide the younger players through tougher situations may well be enough to keep us up.
    hear, hear
    Seconded.

I think the emotion of writing that meant you were lapse on spell check and your punctuation has wavered.  But please do not take this criticism to heart, as I am only a layman.  The CL grammar police should be along in due course.

BTW, I hope you achieve your goal to work in sport, as I like ambition in a young person... being old and warty!
  • Moving on, (no inside info) I'm expecting  something to be announced today which could be

a) new signing (loan or perm)
    b) another contract extension
    c) kit launch

It's Friday, and they'll want to end the week (and go into Welling) with some good news
  • Kit launch would make sense before the Welling game