Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• All gone very quite. Our midfield is a mid table league one midfield, if that, as things stand. Worrying. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    All gone very quite. Our midfield is a mid table league one midfield, if that, as things stand. Worrying. 
    Every aspect of our team is currently League One standard. Worrying times.
  • Which position would you say is at Championship standard?
    Think our back 5, Taylor and Aneke are all decent champ standard (we will be lower end of this division), Main concern is second striker and the midfield but I have no doubt Bow and Gallen are well aware of this and looking to improve dramatically.
  • We definitely have a league 1 squad atm 
    We've only got half a team atm. Just thought your comment was a tad harsh. Time will tell, I'm not crying into my beer yet....
    Think our back 5, Taylor and Aneke are all decent champ standard (we will be lower end of this division), Main concern is second striker and the midfield but I have no doubt Bow and Gallen are well aware of this and looking to improve dramatically.
    How can we say the front two are decent champ standard when neither of them have ever played at that level?!

• Sponsored links:

• To say the whole team is league one is way off if you ask me;

Phillips - improving all the time 
    Dijksteel - will step up no probs 
    Page/Purr - will step up no probs
    Lockyer - time will tell
    Sarr/Pearce - will both do a job
    Pratley - been there before
    Lapslie - league one ATM
    Morgan - league one ATM
    JFC - no probs(when fully fit)
    Aneke - time will tell
    Taylor - no probs

Squad is thin I’m sure we all agree but the XI isn’t that far off being competitive IMO.
    How can we say the front two are decent champ standard when neither of them have ever played at that level?!

Exactly what I was about to post
  • Redhenry said:
    Which position would you say is at Championship standard?
    We've only got half a team atm. Just thought your comment was a tad harsh. Time will tell, I'm not crying into my beer yet....
    That's why I said currently.
  • To say the whole team is league one is way off if you ask me;

Phillips - improving all the time 
    Dijksteel - will step up no probs 
    Page/Purr - will step up no probs
    Lockyer - time will tell
    Sarr/Pearce - will both do a job
    Pratley - been there before
    Lapslie - league one ATM
    Morgan - league one ATM
    JFC - no probs(when fully fit)
    Aneke - time will tell
    Taylor - no probs

Squad is thin I’m sure we all agree but the XI isn’t that far off being competitive IMO.
    I think that's fair. Although I think lapslie and Morgan can step up, but as young players we'll  need to blood them carefully and will  need experienced heads around  them. Williams could help tick that box. 
    Our current 2nd striker has only played non league, I believe. Taylor has never played above league one, although might make the step up, either way, our current strike force is, at best, League One standard。

Who in our back 5 has proven themselves at Champ standard? I really hope you're right but without some amazing loans, we're really gonna struggle。
  • J BLOCK said:
    All gone very quite. Our midfield is a mid table league one midfield, if that, as things stand. Worrying. 
    Calm down, what would you have said our midfield was on the opening game of the season against Sunderland in 2018 compared to what it was at the final whistle in the play off final. In Bowyer we trust. 
    Difference is that league one and the championship are hugely different. You may get away with it for the first few games in league one as we did last season. You will get turned over easily in the championship. 
  • I share the confidence people have in Bowyer and Gallen and I trust them to do the best job possible. But they are operating at a higher level, within very tight financial constraints, where we aren’t one of the bigger or more attractive clubs in the division, in a club which is still in turmoil, without any executive management and with an owner who can be most charitably described as eccentric and misguided. There are limits to what Bowyer and Gallen can do and it is not a negative reflection on them when I say we are very likely to have a squad that is seriously under strength for the season ahead.  
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Calm down, what would you have said our midfield was on the opening game of the season against Sunderland in 2018 compared to what it was at the final whistle in the play off final. In Bowyer we trust. 
    Difference is that league one and the championship are hugely different. You may get away with it for the first few games in league one as we did last season. You will get turned over easily in the championship. 
    The fact of the matter is we're in a similar position to Accrington and AFC Wimbledon when they came into League One, in the sense that we're now a small fish in a big pond

Its clear that the former had an excellent start to life in League One last season and only slowly started to get found out as the season progressed, still they managed to survive and found themselves in mid-table... Whats the say we're not going to do the same in the Championship this time around, budgets play an important part in a season but they dont entirely dictate where a team ends up!!
  • I too have a lot of confidence in Bowyer and Gallen but to suggest that we have a Championship standard for any of the players is at this point unknown. Some will make the step up and some won’t. It won’t necessarily be the obvious players that do or don’t either. 

We have a small small budget and it’s highly unlikely we will be doing anything other than take educated guesses on league one players that Gallen thinks can step up.

• It's hard to judge us at the moment, as the loan players who comes in won't be just to "flesh out the squad" they'll be mainly 1st teamers, expected to start. Add Bielik and Curren (or the equivalent) plus a striker to the 1st team and it will look very different.
  • Sponsored links:

• So from the 2011/12 team we only had the below who had previous Championship experience

Michael Morrison | Leon Cort | Andy Hughes | Johnnie Jackson
    Danny Haynes | Bradley Wright-Phillips | Yann Kermorgant

From the current squad:

Jason Pearce | Chris Solly | Ben Purrington | Naby Sarr
    Darren Pratley | Jake Forster-Caskey

So there is basically one player difference in terms of that experience, now that team in 2012/13 finished 9th with the signings of Kerkar | Gower | Fuller | Wilson | Dervite

Again the two in bold the only two signings that had previous Championship experience
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    The fact of the matter is we're in a similar position to Accrington and AFC Wimbledon when they came into League One, in the sense that we're now a small fish in a big pond

Its clear that the former had an excellent start to life in League One last season and only slowly started to get found out as the season progressed, still they managed to survive and found themselves in mid-table... Whats the say we're not going to do the same in the Championship this time around, budgets play an important part in a season but they dont entirely dictate where a team ends up!!
    I can categorically tell you we will not go up next season and any talk of promotion is ridiculous. There is a huge difference between the quality in league one and the Championship, we currently have a weaker squad than we did last year. 
    Sorry where did I say we'd be going up?

I'm talking about us doing the same in the Championship as what Accrington did in League One as per my opening line
  • It's hard to judge us at the moment, as the loan players who comes in won't be just to "flesh out the squad" they'll be mainly 1st teamers, expected to start. Add Bielik and Curren (or the equivalent) plus a striker to the 1st team and it will look very different.
    As we know loans are always a gamble. We’ve come unstuck enough times to know that. Bielik and Cullen were exceptional and if we can’t get them back which to me is unlikely, I seriously think that we will struggle to get anyone as effective as those two were.
  • A very different level admittedly but when I was managing youth and senior teams, at this time of the year, if you had managed to say goodbye to a lot of the ‘dead wood’ in your squad and were in a lean position able to add half a team, you were in a very good position. That’s how o see us - the quality is about to be added and I wouldn’t be surprised if taylor’s contract isn’t improved once all that is done - to give him some sort of parity as I see him as the talisman of this squad 
  • DOUCHER said:
    A very different level admittedly but when I was managing youth and senior teams, at this time of the year, if you had managed to say goodbye to a lot of the ‘dead wood’ in your squad and were in a lean position able to add half a team, you were in a very good position. That’s how o see us - the quality is about to be added and I wouldn’t be surprised if taylor’s contract isn’t improved once all that is done - to give him some sort of parity as I see him as the talisman of this squad 
    Agree in some circumstances, but for us we've lost three of our best players in Aribo, Cullen and Bielek. I can't personally see how we're replacing them with equal or more quality. In bowyer and Gallan we trust, but there's only so much that can be done.
  • DOUCHER said:
    A very different level admittedly but when I was managing youth and senior teams, at this time of the year, if you had managed to say goodbye to a lot of the ‘dead wood’ in your squad and were in a lean position able to add half a team, you were in a very good position. That’s how o see us - the quality is about to be added and I wouldn’t be surprised if taylor’s contract isn’t improved once all that is done - to give him some sort of parity as I see him as the talisman of this squad 
    We lost some of our best players in Bauer, Aribo, Cullen and Bielek, hardly deadwood.

Vetokele, Reeves, Marshall, Parker, Fosu, a couple of the youngsters that didn't make the grade, there was also a lot of Deadwood let's be honest
  • Redhenry said:
    Which position would you say is at Championship standard?
    That's why I said currently.
    bit of a pointless comment..
  • So from the 2011/12 team we only had the below who had previous Championship experience

Michael Morrison | Leon Cort | Andy Hughes | Johnnie Jackson
    Danny Haynes | Bradley Wright-Phillips | Yann Kermorgant

From the current squad:

Jason Pearce | Chris Solly | Ben Purrington | Naby Sarr
    Darren Pratley | Jake Forster-Caskey

So there is basically one player difference in terms of that experience, now that team in 2012/13 finished 9th with the signings of Kerkar | Gower | Fuller | Wilson | Dervite

Again the two in bold the only two signings that had previous Championship experience
    Or to view it another way Solly isn't the player he was in the championship, he wasn't even the player he was when we were still in the championship.  Pearce has lost his place and been sold by ever championship club he has played for and has just finished his 4th consecutive season in league 1.  Ben Purrington couldn't get in a poor Rotherham team last season. Naby had a mare in the championship last time he played in it. Pratley dropped down a league because he is getting on and JFC was let go by Brighton and signed for a middle table league 1 side.

Now their championship experience isn't much of a ringing endorsement. 

BUT saying all that Solly, Pearce and Pratley are all men you would "you would want in the trenches" with you and will be valuable on pitch and dressing room NCOs for Bowyer.  Every club needs players like this. I would worry if all 3 were on the pitch at the same time for to long throughout the season though.  

As said already on this thread sometimes a player, manager, system, club etc just click and I get the feeling that is Purrington with us.  Naby is obviously 3 years older, wiser, happier and more confident.  Reading between the lines on JFCs new contract the talent has never been in question, other things have.  I expect a much improved player to the one in his Brighton days.