Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• You need two quality goalkeepers in The Championship. 
    Especially if Dillon cant cut it
  • Would love Amos back to compete with Phillips. 
  • Why would there be any doubt about Phillips 'cutting it' in the Championship? How is it any different for goalkeepers? Surely that's the one position where you can tell how good someone is no matter what league they're in
  • edited June 2019
    Leuth said:
    Why would there be any doubt about Phillips 'cutting it' in the Championship? How is it any different for goalkeepers? Surely that's the one position where you can tell how good someone is no matter what league they're in
    Ben Hamer didnt do great in the Premier League, neither did Massimo Taibi at Man Utd; dare I mention Thuram as a Goalkeeper who clearly couldnt hack it in the Championship

Fully expect Dillon to be fine next season but you surely want an experienced 'keeper to keep him on his toes just in case he cant progress
  • Leuth said:
    Why would there be any doubt about Phillips 'cutting it' in the Championship? How is it any different for goalkeepers? Surely that's the one position where you can tell how good someone is no matter what league they're in
    I love Dillon, but anyone remember Sunderland's Wembley goal ?
    Any doubt ?
  • Leuth said:
    Ben Hamer didnt do great in the Premier League, neither did Massimo Taibi at Man Utd; dare I mention Thuram as a Goalkeeper who clearly couldnt hack it in the Championship

Fully expect Dillon to be fine next season but you surely want an experienced 'keeper to keep him on his toes just in case he cant progress
    In an ideal world you want two top keepers battling it out, but with our limited budget I'd be concerned if we ended up paying a significant chunk of wages on a keeper when they are more pressing needs elsewhere. Personally I'd prefer it if we signed an experienced 36 year old keeper, happy to be No 2 but who's good enough to challenge Dillon.
  • Leuth said:
    He’s going to face a lot more shots that’s why.
  • Saw on here a couple of weeks back that someone 'ITK' had heard we were signing Lockyer from Bristol rovers. Anyone heard anything more on this? 

i'm hoping that him signing is why we didn't give Bauer a higher offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bubble said:
    Bowyer suggest on SSN - 3-5 players in for pre-season training next Friday.
    Also expects a couple of players with contract extensions to also sign 
    Forster-Caskey being one... Cant see the other being Fosu

Wonder if those 3-5 players will be signings or trialists
    I have not lost hope that Bauer may still stay, especially as Bows has signed up.
    I still think Bauer will stay. 
    shows what I know!
  • Slightly surprised that we're after a "joint number 1" rather than someone who'd be happy as backup, but I guess Amos's stock has fallen after a poor season
    We had a very decent experienced keeper in Maxwell, who couldn't get a game because of Dillon's great form.

Perhaps one reason for Dillon's superb performances, was because he was pushed all the way by a very decent keeper himself hungry to play?

Maybe that's what Dillon needs to keep him at the top of his game?

Bowyer will think: I've got two 1st team quality keepers, they can push each other and I'll play the one in the best form. He won't worry which one.

• "Charlton will receive a fee of only around £250,000 if Aribo makes a cross-border move to Rangers. It is thought Aribo agreed a new contract at Charlton last summer but owner Roland Duchatelet then withdrew the offer, allowing him to enter the final 12 months of his deal."

What a genius Duchatelet is.

Meanwhile the good news

"Charlton, though, plan to offer Lyle Taylor a new contract to keep him at the Valley. The 29-year-old striker scored 25 goals this season and is wanted by a host of Championship clubs. Taylor still has 12 months left on his current deal.

After Bowyer agreed a contract extension to remain as Charlton manager yesterday, his assistant Johnnie Jackson has also signed a new deal. Bowyer also wants goalkeeper coach Andy Marshall to be given a new contract."

• Agree money better spent elsewhere, but a couple of Donny goals were soft.
  • Leuth said:
    Any doubt ?
    No other keepers make mistakes. Imagine if a keeper made a mistake in a WC final it would be the end of their career.
  • edited June 2019
    This club is easy prey for any other club in our division or above. Probably even below for a few clubs and players. RD is obsessed with telling the world how much we lose a month and they know they can offer peanuts and it will get accepted. Hopefully this changes one day soon
  • Leuth said:
    Any doubt ?
    That was a freak goal. He was absolutely outstanding all season, and watching highlights of the Premier League and The Championship, plenty of the keepers on display were making mistakes all over the shop. Happy to keep Dillon as number one myself, for long enough to see how he gets on at least. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    like last time when Everton were rumoured, he got a new contract a few days after

..Callumcafc said:

• I think wages could be better spent elsewhere tbh, Phillips is the number 1 now. Rate Amos but he's too good to be a back up, we need other priorities first like a new left back, centre back, midfielders, potentially wingers and of course the man himself Tom Eaves. 
        I said this back at the start of February when we got in ?????(cant even remember his name) as back up or even as No 1 to Phillips. he never even stepped onto the pitch. That money could have been spent on a striker which was even more urgent at the time. I was proved right when Igor didn't play in the play-offs & we were left with a player who still hasn't scored for us. Better to get Maynard Brewer up to scratch as a bench warmer than signing Amos. We certainly aint got the money to be wasting atm.
  • I think wages could be better spent elsewhere tbh, Phillips is the number 1 now. Rate Amos but he's too good to be a back up, we need other priorities first like a new left back, centre back, midfielders, potentially wingers and of course the man himself Tom Eaves. 

I was proved right
    when Igor didn't play in the play-offs & we were left with a player who still hasn't scored for us.

It doesn't happen that often, Golfie.  :smile:

I said this back at the start of February when we got in ?????(cant even remember his name) as back up or even as No 1 to Phillips. he never even stepped onto the pitch. That money could have been spent on a striker which was even more urgent at the time. I was proved right when Igor didn't play in the play-offs & we were left with a player who still hasn't scored for us. Better to get Maynard Brewer up to scratch as a bench warmer than signing Amos. We certainly aint got the money to be wasting atm.
    Well we got promoted so you weren't proved right. 
    Sorry that’s a recipe for disaster. If Dillon gets injured for any length of time the we need a solid replacement. No offence to Maynard- Brewer but he ain’t the answer yet. Staying up will be hard enough without shooting ourselves in the foot. Fortunately it seems Bowyer and his team are thinking along my lines rather than yours golfie.
    Emergency loan. Simples!
  • edited June 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Any doubt ?
    That was a freak goal. He was absolutely outstanding all season, and watching highlights of the Premier League and The Championship, plenty of the keepers on display were making mistakes all over the shop. Happy to keep Dillon as number one myself, for long enough to see how he gets on at least. 
    I agree. A freak goal as Dillon said, due to lack of concentration in a big atmosphere.
    Leuth said ANY doubt.
    Yes even if it's 1% there must be a doubt the same as there must be a doubt with Amos, who bizarrely couldn't make Millwall's first team after being outstanding for us in L1.

I think there must be a doubt over many of our players who haven't played in The Championship.
    Sorry that’s a recipe for disaster. If Dillon gets injured for any length of time the we need a solid replacement. No offence to Maynard- Brewer but he ain’t the answer yet. Staying up will be hard enough without shooting ourselves in the foot. Fortunately it seems Bowyer and his team are thinking along my lines rather than yours golfie.
    Emergency loan. Simples!
    Can only get an emergency loan if two keepers are injured. In this scenario AMB would be one of the two. 
  • Always liked Amos but can't see him wanting to be a No2 and feel that Dillon has earnt opportunity