Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Much better position already though and thats before we bring in five loan players

Phillips
    Solly | Lockyer | Sarr | Purrington
    Loanee | Dijksteel | Forster-Caskey
    Aneke
    Bonne | Taylor

Bench: Loanee (GK) | Pearce | Page | Pratley | Lapslie | Loanee | Loanee

If we can sign Oztumer then we're a lot closer to the squad depth we had last season and that makes me a lot more comfortable than how I felt at the end of May - Yes I had faith in Bowyer and Gallen but definitely didnt expect them to make the permanent signings of Purrington | Aneke | Lockyer (Bonne is still untested), definitely didnt expect them to be of that level and we could of course still bring in Ben Amos and Jonny Williams on permanent deals too
    No way is Solly a champ starter at right back, and Bonne who is coming from non league isn’t a starter. Even Aneke is coming from league 2.

I would expect 

Phillips

Djiksteel
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Purrington

JFC
    New Signing (Loanee)
    New Signing (Loanee)

New Signing (Oztumer?)

Aneke
    Taylor

Subs: New Signing (Amos?), Solly, Lockyer, Morgan, Pratley, New Signing (Williams?), New Striker Signing

Squad: Page, Lapslie, Bonne, Stevenson, Aouachria,  
    LB wants Aneke as the 10, so either Taylor as a lone striker, which isn't ideal given his proclivity to hitting the wings, or we sign another striker or two?
    Isnt a No.10 a Striker?

No.1 - Goalkeeper
    No. 2 | 3 - Full-Backs
    No. 5 | 6 - Centre-Backs
    No. 4 | 8 - Centre-Midfield
    No. 9  - Striker or Attacking Midfield (i.e. false nine)
    No. 7 | 11 - Wingers / Midfielders
    When I first started watching Charlton in the mid-60s, teams lined up like that.
    Even back then, invariably the 10 was the left sided central midfielder playing in tandem with the right sided 4, rather than the striker pairing (8 & 9).

Before that, in the old WM formation of the 50s and earlier, when wingers hugged the touchline either side, it was the left sided inside forward who wore 10 and the right sided inside forward who wore 8, playing behind the centre forward who played 9. The inside forwards were the creative players with good ability on the ball and defence splitting passing. They weren't a 'striker' as such but obviously were expected to contribute their share of goals.

In recent manager-speak, the 10 is usually understood to be the creative AM who sits behind the front 2 and opens up defences. 

It's a term of reference for the position or role, rather than a shirt number these days.

Wibble.

• Can we keep this thread to rumours? 
  • edited July 2019
    And of the two centre halves, one would attack the ball the other would drop and sweep up. Not sure in the old days a ten played behind two, he was more the link man with the bigger 'nuisance'
  • What happened to the eaves rumour being nailed on a few weeks back 
  • Addick90 said:
    What happened to the eaves rumour being nailed on a few weeks back 
    I'm sure I heard someone was Eavesdropping.

• Addick90 said:
    Cawley didn’t think it was happening

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1142004755373469696?s=21
  • Addick90 said:
    People were either talking tosh or had been told tosh so they could up their like counts/be recognised for getting something right. 

I reckon he will end up at either Pompey or Ipswich, maybe Barnsley if they sell Moore 
  • Is there a released list anywhere? Any other stand out League 1 and 2 players out of contract who we may be after?
  • edited July 2019
    Scoham said:
    Is there a released list anywhere? Any other stand out League 1 and 2 players out of contract who we may be after?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/released-players-championship-league-one-16252634.amp

West Broms released list consists of players i thought had all retired a few years back!

Bradley Johnson, Garry Hooper and Wilfred Bony... just a little out of our budget!
  • Redhenry said:
    Not sure we'll be seeing either Bielik or Cullen this year think both players will be sold by there respective clubs and for a lot more than we can afford
    Both clubs would be stupid to sell this summer, neither Arsenal or West Ham are desperate for cash and 1 good season in League 1 wont make the clubs offer millions and millions.

Loan to a top Champ or lower prem team, then of they have another good season could sell for a lot more next season
    Except Bielik didn't just have one good season in League 1.

He was outstanding in the U21 championship for Poland.

And next year, they can both leave for nothing.
    I thought he was awful against Spain. He's not a CH for me
    Totally agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Most players in the U21 tournie were awful vs Spain.
  • edited July 2019
    Scoham said:
    Is there a released list anywhere? Any other stand out League 1 and 2 players out of contract who we may be after?

Had a brief look and league 2 doesn’t seem to offer anything. 

Quite a few well known names going on frees in the championship as well but I don’t think they’re the kind of players Bowyer would want. A few below that I’d say are the pick of the bunch from the Championship and league 1. (Assuming the lists online are accurate)

Lee Burge

Ryan Tafazolli

David Ball

Adedeji Oshilaja

Josh McEachran

Grant Ward

Paul Coutts

Mile Jedinak

• Was told today by a Reading fan we are looking at Sam Baldock.... 
  • Scoham said:

Had a brief look and league 2 doesn’t seem to offer anything. 

Quite a few well known names going on frees in the championship as well but I don’t think they’re the kind of players Bowyer would want. A few below that I’d say are the pick of the bunch from the Championship and league 1. (Assuming the lists online are accurate)

Lee Burge

Ryan Tafazolli

David Ball

Adedeji Oshilaja

Josh McEachran

Grant Ward

Paul Coutts

Mile Jedinak

Grant Ward is a decent shout and a local lad. Bowyer doesn’t play wingers but be nice to have one in the squad. Robbo used to be criticised for only formation and a 433 could be useful at times. 

Only issue with Ward is I believe he’s out until October. Although injuries haven’t stopped us before. 
  • Was told today by a Reading fan we are looking at Sam Baldock.... 
    Reading are trying to shift a few fringe players to reduce their wage bill, one being Baldock. He'd have to lower his wages and I wonder if we can afford the fee (though as Reading want shot of him that will reduce the fee a bit perhaps)
  • Not sure we'll be seeing either Bielik or Cullen this year think both players will be sold by there respective clubs and for a lot more than we can afford
    Both clubs would be stupid to sell this summer, neither Arsenal or West Ham are desperate for cash and 1 good season in League 1 wont make the clubs offer millions and millions.

Loan to a top Champ or lower prem team, then of they have another good season could sell for a lot more next season
    They’re both in their final year of their contract. WHU and Arse may as well cash in.
    Bielik already said he won’t play for Arsenal u23’ again.
    1st team squad or he’ll consider his options.
  • Sam baldock is so 2012
  • won't include Purrington
  • one thing concerns me if we sign too many small midfielders (sizeism rears up again) .. obviously it will make us vulnerable from corners/free kicks near the area .. most Champ sides are very adept and accurate with their free kicks and most have some big lumps putting it about in the area .. they will also make life for Phillips as difficult as possible
  • Sponsored links:

• one thing concerns me if we sign too many small midfielders (sizeism rears up again) .. obviously it will make us vulnerable from corners/free kicks near the area .. most Champ sides are very adept and accurate with their free kicks and most have some big lumps putting it about in the area .. they will also make life for Phillips as difficult as possible
    This is a concern, however we will have some big boys in there too - Sarr, Lockyer, Taylor, Aneke plus Purrington and Dijk are not small for full backs.
  • I wonder why we still haven't signed Oztumer
  • Because we haven’t got a answer from Williams don’t think we will afford to sign both 
  • edited July 2019
    Because we haven’t got a answer from Williams don’t think we will afford to sign both 
    Tend to agree that Oztumer and Williams is an either or scenario. Just hope we don’t lose one while waiting for the other.  Suspect Oztumer will be pretty miffed if he thinks we are stalling waiting for Jonny to get a better offer and will look elsewhere.  I’d personally love to have them both given that Jonny is pretty fragile. 
  • Because we haven’t got a answer from Williams don’t think we will afford to sign both 
    The word from a few “”””””ITK’s””””””” on here was that he’s already signed but because of Bolton’s debacles the announcement is being delayed.
    The word from a few “”””””ITK’s””””””” on here was that he’s already signed but because of Bolton’s debacles the announcement is being delayed.
    Doubt that's true.

Celtic announced a signing from Bolton a few days ago.
  • edited July 2019
    I heard Oztumer could be heading to Malaga with the squad, anyone know if this is true? 
  • I think both are important, they are similar but different. Oztumer has more of an eye for goal, better passer and good on the deadballs, Williams is just perfect as a super sub because tired legs can't keep up with him. If we were to bring on both with a goal needed we would create chances, both excellent dribblers. Williams tends to take it wide but from what I've seen of Oztumer he plays through the middle, think they would be brilliant at the same time on the pitch