Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    It is to an extent... You get the Golden Boot at the World Cup or Euros for the goals you scored in the competition. 

Not during the Qualifying rounds. 
  • Options
    Not sure how true this one is, and may have heard it wrong. 

David Johnson is the only person to score in both legs of a Play-Off Semi-Final, which I think he did for Nottingham Forest.

Well he was the only one

As Brennan Johnson has just done exactly the same for Nottingham Forest - And happens to be David's son. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022

David Johnson is the only person to score in both legs of a Play-Off Semi-Final, which I think he did for Nottingham Forest.

Well he was the only one

As Brennan Johnson has just done exactly the same for Nottingham Forest - And happens to be David's son. 
    You slightly misheard - David Johnson is the only player to score for Forest in both legs of a play off semi final (ironically it was also against Sheffield United)  
  • Options

Well he was the only one

You slightly misheard - David Johnson is the only player to score for Forest in both legs of a play off semi final (ironically it was also against Sheffield United)  
    Cheers, I'm not surprised that I misheard. 

Still a fun fact now though :) 
  • Options
    Hadn't realised he was David Johnson's son - common surname I guess so didn't think much of it.
  • Options
    Hadn't realised he was David Johnson's son - common surname I guess so didn't think much of it.
    I hadn't either. I remember hoping Ipswich wouldn't go up so we could sign David Johnson. It was a good thing we didn't, he never made the step up to the Prem.
  • Options
    Going massively off topic but there was a story at the time that Charlton, Sunderland and Ipswich all got their second choices out of Mendonca, Philips and Johnson that summer.  I think all of them are quite happy they did.
  • Options
    Sunderland have won a play off final!
  • Options
    Arsenal only drew 3 games in the league all season.
  • Options
    Despite all the feelings that City had blown the title at 2-0 down (including mine), Liverpool were not top at any stage yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The last time Real Madrid lost in the Champions League Final was 41-years ago

In 1981 they faced Liverpool... in Paris, and lost 1-0
  • Options

The fact that doesn't sound true but is, is that 1981 was now 41 years ago!!!!
    Yeah horrible given I was born two years later :(
  • Options

The fact that doesn't sound true but is, is that 1981 was now 41 years ago!!!!
    Yeah horrible given I was born two years later :(
    3 years the other way 😞
  • Options
    Don Carlo has won the "Cup with big ears" in the 80s, 90s, 00s 10s and 20s.
  • Options
    Liverpool have been in three finals this season and scored ZERO goals in all three.! 
  • Options
    Liverpool have been in three finals this season and scored ZERO goals in all three.! 
    330 mins plus injury time !!!
  • Options
    330 mins plus injury time !!!

• Options
    The last team to beat Real Madrid in a European final was Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Pukki was the only Norwich player last season to score in more than one of their 38 PL games. I wonder how many times just one player has done that in a season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pukki was the only Norwich player last season to score in more than one of their 38 PL games. I wonder how many times just one player has done that in a season?
    That's an absolutely crazy stat.  

How you can you go through a season and manage that?!  
  • Options
    That's an absolutely crazy stat.  

How you can you go through a season and manage that?!  
    It is quite unbelievable. Sargent was the only other player who scored more than once but his two goals came in the same game against Watford. Pukki scored 11, another eight players scored just once and there were two own goals making 23 goals in total.
  • Options
    Since 1988 the Republic of Ireland have qualified for three World Cups and three Euros but they haven't included a single player from their domestic league in a squad for a major tournament.
  • Options
    James Milner names Lee Bowyer as one of his boyhood idols .. must make ol Lee feel very old  :)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Darwin and Sydney are state Capitals in Australia

If Darwin Nunez plays for Liverpool, he'll be the first player for them with that sort of connection since Sydney Smith
  • Options
    yeah everybody knows Darwin is in the Northern Territory which is not a state 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Darwin is the Capital of the region: Northern Territory

Bit like how Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, yet not the United Kingdom
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Darwin is the Capital of the region: Northern Territory

Bit like how Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, yet not the United Kingdom
    But it says state capital and it is not a state. So he won’t be the first state capital since Sydney