Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    It is now nine months and 35 games in all competitions since Ipswich last failed to score in a match - having been promoted, 20 of those games have come this season including cup fixtures against PL Wolves and Fulham.
  • Options
    It is now nine months and 35 games in all competitions since Ipswich last failed to score in a match - having been promoted, 20 of those games have come this season including cup fixtures against PL Wolves and Fulham.
    Good news we’re being run very similar 🤥
  • Options
    edited November 2023

(It was an own goal)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Danepak said:

(It was an own goal)
    i resent you putting up my latest FIFA online stats
  • Options
    Our draw on Saturday was the only game in the English Football League that wasn’t played on the mainland UK.
  • Options
    When did Bonne leave?
  • Options
    Our draw on Saturday was the only game in the English Football League that wasn’t played on the mainland UK.
    Portsmouth is not on the mainland UK now ?
    We should have been told about this. 
  • Options
    Portsmouth is not on the mainland UK now ?
    We should have been told about this. 
    Its on Portsea island.
  • Options
    Is this a joke I don’t get?
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Their ground is on an island. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Is it an island though.  It is connected in the North by land to the UK according to googlemaps.  What have I missed?
  • Options
    When did Bonne leave?
    Bonne left Ipswich in May '22 and that run started in Feb '23
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    arny23394 said:
    Is it an island though.  It is connected in the North by land to the UK according to googlemaps.  What have I missed?
    Only connected by Bridges though...

• Options
    it's one of the all time great quiz questions. Fratton Park is the only Football League or Premier League ground outside of Great Britain
  • Options
    rina said:
    it's one of the all time great quiz questions. Fratton Park is the only Football League or Premier League ground outside of Great Britain
    It isn't outside of Great Britain it's an Island that is part of Great Britain.
  • Options
    rina said:
    It isn't outside of Great Britain it's an Island that is part of Great Britain.
    Great Britain is an island as is Portsea, at least geographically

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_the_British_Isles

There is the political usage of GB which includes all the islands but I think it makes more sense to use the geographical rather than political sense in this situation

It's not a clearcut argument either way though
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    A slight nuance:-

Portsmouth is the only Football League / Premier League ground that isn't ON Great Britain. Portsea Island is an island off the coast of Great Britain (the geographic entity, not to be confused with the political entity of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which Portsea Island is IN). 
  • Options
    Is Canary Wharf not in mainland UK either then ?
  • Options
    Of course it is. Portsmouth is on Portsea Island, which is an island off the south cost of the geographic entity of Great Britain. Canary Wharf is in London…(and it’s not a football ground…)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course it is. Portsmouth is on Portsea Island, which is an island off the south cost of the geographic entity of Great Britain. Canary Wharf is in London…(and it’s not a football ground…)

Don't the Canaries play in Norfolk? 😬
  • Options
    So, what is the criteria ?
    Has to have “island” somewhere in the geographical description ?

The Isle of Dogs doesn’t qualify, but does Canvey or Sheppey (both have footy teams) ?
  • Options
    How have I been to FP twice with no recollection of leaving the mainland?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    You may have had your eyes shut as you went over one of the causeways. Rest assured, Portsea Island is an Island off the coast of Great Britain. If only the internet provided a tool for fact checking.
  • Options

The Isle of Dogs doesn’t qualify, but does Canvey or Sheppey (both have footy teams) ?
    An island is a body of land surrounded by water. 

The below link may be useful. Both Canvey and Sheppey are considered islands. Both have football teams, but my original fact that didn't sound true (and clearly still doesn't) was about football league fixtures.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    You sneezed. And in that 2 seconds that your eyes closed, you crossed the two meter wide river separating mainland England and Portsea
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    You sneezed. And in that 2 seconds that your eyes closed, you crossed the two meter wide river separating mainland England and Portsea
    We always swim to Fratton Park
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It’s a creek. Did no one here do Geography at school? 

Don’t get me started on oxbow lakes.

• Options

The below link may be useful. Both Canvey and Sheppey are considered islands. Both have football teams, but my original fact that didn't sound true (and clearly still doesn't) was about football league fixtures.

OK, it seems from Wiki that you are correct. 
    Nice one. 

I just have one other niggle - 
    If there are no other league teams on a UK island, then surely every Pompey result is unique - thus changing your original footy fact to simply,
    ”every Pompey home result is unique”. 

Or did I misunderstand something ?
  • Options

OK, it seems from Wiki that you are correct. 
    Nice one. 

I just have one other niggle - 
    If there are no other league teams on a UK island, then surely every Pompey result is unique - thus changing your original footy fact to simply,
    ”every Pompey home result is unique”. 

Or did I misunderstand something ?
    Yes you are right, but I wrote it specific to us and the day we played them for added affect. It sounded more interesting than just stating Pompey were the only team…