Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Based on that the bookies should already be paying out on promotion for the both of them
  • Options
    I'm sure Ipswich won't care a jot but they're on course to get about 200 points in two seasons and not win the league either time. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Kieran McKenna is two weeks short of being Manager of Ipswich for two years. In that time, Ipswich have never lost a League game when playing between Monday and Friday. Their record in that time is

Played - 28
    Won - 19
    Drawn - 9
    Lost - 0
    For - 51
    Against - 13 

Ipswich won 2-1 at Watford yesterday so that record over the course of  McKenna's two year reign as manager now reads:

Played - 29
    Won - 20
    Drawn - 9
    Lost - 0
    For - 53
    Against - 14

Which all serves to make the dates of Tuesday 26th December and Monday 22nd January rather the interesting - the former is the day that Ipswich host Leicester and the latter is the reverse fixture.
  • Options
    I'm sure Ipswich won't care a jot but they're on course to get about 200 points in two seasons and not win the league either time. 
    Good news , we’re following their model
  • Options
    Joe Gomez has never scored a professional goal.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    I see there's a film about Kaiser's 'career', anyone know if it's worth watching?
  • Options
    Up until the 71st minute of yesterday's Brentford v Villa game there had been just the one yellow card. After that point, no less than another 13 individuals received either red or yellow cards. The Ref's report must have been a "War And Peace" in terms of the number of pages needed. 

To put that in perspective, had the Ref handed out cards at the same rate for the duration of the game then all 32 players plus both managers would have received a card of some sort and 10 of those would have been handed two yellows making it only just about feasible, providing the Managers were two of the individuals to receive two yellows, to finish the game 7-a-side. Of course, in reality, the game would have been abandoned a long time before. 
  • Options
    May have mentioned him before on here, but Carlos Kaiser's career is always worth a mention:

i've read about this guy before and i still can't get my head around how some clubs signed him a second time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He must have been amazing in training.
  • Options
    May have mentioned him before on here, but Carlos Kaiser's career is always worth a mention:

i've read about this guy before and i still can't get my head around how some clubs signed him a second time!
    I was just about to post the same. 

How did he pull it off. I know it's a joke on here about u-tube clips and I do appreciate this was pre u-tube but didn't anyone ask to see video footage of home before signing him in? Didn't scouts from one region speak to scouts in another?

fair play to him for pulling this off
  • Options
    In case anyone's depressed about our poor performances in cup competitions this season, Ajax have just been knocked out of the Dutch cup by an amateur team from the second tier of Dutch amateur football, which would be the fourth tier if the Netherlands had promotion and relegation between the professional and amateur systems. It's apparently the first time the club have lost a cup match against an amateur team. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67797185
  • Options
    Ajax cleaned up in Europe winning the European Cup/Champions League in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975.

Cup winners cup 1987
    Europa cup 1992
    Super cup 1974 1995

This isn't a soap opera, you can't scrub their amazing record from history.

Johan Cruyff was the catalyst for their early success when they cleaned up and won 4 European cups in 5 seasons.

Selling all their top players has caught up with them and I hope they don't now air their dirty linen in Public.
  • Options
    In case anyone's depressed about our poor performances in cup competitions this season, Ajax have just been knocked out of the Dutch cup by an amateur team from the second tier of Dutch amateur football, which would be the fourth tier if the Netherlands had promotion and relegation between the professional and amateur systems. It's apparently the first time the club have lost a cup match against an amateur team. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67797185

40/1 🙈
  • Options
    This is the first season since 1931-32 that hasn’t featured a first team appearance by either Stanley Matthews, Peter Shilton or Gianluigi Buffon.
  • Options
    Since the start of last season, the record of Strathspey Thistle in the Highland League reads P51 W3 D5 L43 F42 A218 (-176) Pts 14. In 2022-3 their record included no home wins and defeats of 0-11 to Brora, 2 x 0-9, 1-9, 0-8, 1-8 and 3 x 0-7. They conceded five goals or more in 15 of their 34 games last season. Maybe Charlton aren't quite so bad after all...
  • Options
    They are the new Fort William.
  • Options
    Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock H author etc) played in goal for Portsmouth (long time ago) using the name A C Smith .. he also played 'first class' cricket for the M C C 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock H author etc) played in goal for Portsmouth (long time ago) using the name A C Smith .. he also played 'first class' cricket for the M C C 
    the football bits not really true. he played for a club in Portsmouth (Portsmouth AFC), not for the Pompey we know who hadn't even been formed at the time

• Options
    I (or someone else) may have posted this before, but something just reminded me, so I thought I would put it out there in case nobody had. 

The second Jack the Ripper murder (Annie Chapman) happened on the same day the first Football League matches were played.   
  • Options
    That's why football should be banned!!!!!
  • Options
    The highest ever attendance for a football match at Old Trafford, and Man United were not even playing, it was a FA Cup semi final between, Wolves and Grimsby, and Man Utd`s highest attendance for a league match was played at Maine Road, the record crowd for a game not played at Wembley was Man City v Stoke, 84.000, and was only broken when Tottenham played there home games at the new Wembley, while the new stadium was being built.
  • Options
    edited January 15
    We'll probably sign their centre forward now.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    We'll probably sign their centre forward now.
    expected back from injury September 2025
  • Options
    I (or someone else) may have posted this before, but something just reminded me, so I thought I would put it out there in case nobody had. 

The second Jack the Ripper murder (Annie Chapman) happened on the same day the first Football League matches were played.   
    Rules out 132 suspects straight away.
  • Options
    Dominic Calvert-Lewins red card against Palace was quite rightly rescinded. However, it is not expunged from his record so should he be sent off again this season he will receive the same additional punishment that he would have done had it not been rescinded i.e. an extra game ban. So, not only did Everton have to play the rest of the game with 10 players but they could be punished yet again when the only party that actually did something wrong was the Referee! Our rules really are a laughing stock sometimes.