Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 7
    In the 89-90 La Liga season, Hugo Sanchez scored 38 goals for Real Madrid. All of them came from first touch finishes.

“His second touch is a celebration”
  • Options
    Leicester and Ipswich have made the best ever two starts to a Championship season.

On PPG, Reading were better. 
    The first column is wins not games.
    That explains it. 
    Well I'm still lost. The table shows the season after 20 games. 
  • Options
    Our players’ second touch is a tackle.
    Ryan Inniss special.
  • Options
    Leicester and Ipswich have made the best ever two starts to a Championship season.

That explains it. 
    Taking Leicester, for example, Win+Draw+Lose = 16+1+3=20 games and 49 points at that point which is more than any other team in the history of the Championship
  • Options
    Our players’ second touch is a tackle.
    Apologies for correcting you. Our players' second touch is an attempted tackle
  • Options

That explains it. 
    Taking Leicester, for example, Win+Draw+Lose = 16+1+3=20 games and 49 points at that point which is more than any other team in the history of the Championship
    Yep, that's how I'm reading it. So Reading aren't the best on ppg. The table reads correctly as is. 
  • Options
    edited February 7
    Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock H author etc) played in goal for Portsmouth (long time ago) using the name A C Smith .. he also played 'first class' cricket for the M C C 
    Apart from being writers, being a ‘keeper is what he and Albert Camus have in common. 

Not football related really, but Conan Doyles one and only first class wicket was WG Grace. Also Doyle is thought to be the only player to catch fire on the field at Lords, a ball hit him and ignited some matches in his pocket.
  • Options
    Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock H author etc) played in goal for Portsmouth (long time ago) using the name A C Smith .. he also played 'first class' cricket for the M C C 
    Apart from being writers, being a ‘keeper is what he and Albert Camus have in common. 

Not football related really, but Conan Doyles one and only first class wicket was WG Grace. Also Doyle is thought to be the only player to catch fire on the field at Lords, a ball hit him and ignited some matches in his pocket.
    Shame it wasn’t baseball, strike one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That explains it. 
    Yep, that's how I'm reading it. So Reading aren't the best on ppg. The table reads correctly as is. 
    It also serves to demonstrate how things can change so quickly - Ipswich have only picked up 11 points in their next 9 games and are now 13 points behind Leicester (albeit Leicester have played one game more). Southampton, after 8 games and following a pointless September during which time they lost all 4 matches (including a 5-0 thrashing by Sunderland and a 4-1 home defeat to Leicester), had just 10 points to their name. Since then, they have gone on a 21 match unbeaten run (24 in all comps) during which time they have picked up no less than 51 points and are now in second place and 2 points ahead of Ipswich. I suspect that any of those Southampton supporters that might have been calling for the head of Russell Martin following that initial run aren't doing so now!
  • Options
    edited February 7

That explains it. 
    It also serves to demonstrate how things can change so quickly - Ipswich have only picked up 11 points in their next 9 games and are now 13 points behind Leicester (albeit Leicester have played one game more). Southampton, after 8 games and following a pointless September during which time they lost all 4 matches (including a 5-0 thrashing by Sunderland and a 4-1 home defeat to Leicester), had just 10 points to their name. Since then, they have gone on a 21 match unbeaten run (24 in all comps) during which time they have picked up no less than 51 points and are now in second place and 2 points ahead of Ipswich. I suspect that any of those Southampton supporters that might have been calling for the head of Russell Martin following that initial run aren't doing so now!
    Here's a bit of an incredible stat to back the above up - in their 21 games in the Championship since 23rd September, Southampton have been a goal behind for a total of 57 minutes. We were behind for longer than that in our last game alone!
  • Options

That explains it. 
    I read the first column as games played, which in my defence is what the first column usually is. 
  • Options
    In the 89-90 La Liga season, Hugo Sanchez scored 38 goals for Real Madrid. All of them came from first touch finishes.
    Bas Dost scored 45 goals in a row with first touch finishes for Sporting Lisbon.
  • Options
    Today's starting XI against Reading contains just one player that was with us last season. That record is unlikely to have been "bettered" in the history of Charlton Athletic FC or will be in the future unless, of course, Thomas is replaced in the next game by another of this season's recruits. 
  • Options
    Czech side Sokal Upohlavy had 16 players booked at the same time.

All 11 players and 5 subs decided to remove their shirts to celebrate after they scored.

They were 6-0 down before the goal!
    I wonder if any were already on a yellow.
  • Options
    Some Charlton fans are getting excited about the prospect of a Chuks Aneke returning to the squad and contributing to better results

Some people just never allow the evidence of their own eyes to burst the bubbles of their delusion 🤩 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Manchester City are unbeaten in over a year when Rodri has played a part in the game. A run stretching back 53 games to a 1-0 defeat at Spurs on 5 Feb 2023.
  • Options
    Today is the 100 year anniversary since we last played out a draw on the 23rd February. 

By all accounts a thrilling 0-0 away to Brentford during the 1923/24 season. It's also the only ever draw since joining the football league we've had on this date.
  • Options
    Today is the 100 year anniversary since we last played out a draw on the 23rd February. 

By all accounts a thrilling 0-0 away to Brentford during the 1923/24 season. It's also the only ever draw since joining the football league we've had on this date.
    Love it

what is our full record on this date ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Love it

what is our full record on this date ?
    14 games played, 4 Wins, 1 Draw, 9 Defeats. Scored 20, Conceeded 23.

The last game we played on this date was a 2-1 Home defeat to Burton in 2021.
  • Options
    Nice- where do you find this info ?

• Options
    edited February 23
    JaShea99 said:
    How have I been to FP twice with no recollection of leaving the mainland?
    You sneezed. And in that 2 seconds that your eyes closed, you crossed the two meter wide river separating mainland England and Portsea
    Football fact - Footballers can sneeze with their eyes open.

In fact, not just footballers.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I might have a spreadsheet, and too much time on my hands  :D

I remember hearing a fact, that there’s a date in April, that when Charlton have played, they’ve never won. Just can’t remember the date.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I remember hearing a fact, that there’s a date in April, that when Charlton have played, they’ve never won. Just can’t remember the date.
    16 April we have played 22 times. And won once. 1 win 6 draws, 15 defeats. That's the lowest, every other day of the month we've won at least 3 games.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

It's the 1st. Great clubs win alike whereas fools always differ.