Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    Just looked it up. So it depends on when you count from. The win was in the Southern League in the 1920/21 season, 5-0 against Boscombe (who became Bournemouth). So we were professional at that point, so if you count from then we have won a game. If you count from the following season when we entered the football league, we have never won on 16 April.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Nice- where do you find this info ?

I might have a spreadsheet, and too much time on my hands  :D

I remember hearing a fact, that there’s a date in April, that when Charlton have played, they’ve never won. Just can’t remember the date.
    16 April we have played 22 times. And won once. 1 win 6 draws, 15 defeats. That's the lowest, every other day of the month we've won at least 3 games.
    Is this the date we always play the scum on 
  • Options
    Mansfield scored 13 goals in their first 13 home games this season. In their last 2 home games they've scored 14. 
  • Options
    The 2 most expensive signings in women's football are both Zambian.
  • Options
    In 1941, Rapid Vienna won the German championship.
  • Options
    From 442

Goalkeeper Hans-Jorg Butt scored three Champions League goals - all penalties for different clubs against Juventus. In 2000, Butt scored against Edwin van der Sar in the Juventus goal for Hamburg, during a 4-4 Champions League thriller. The German joined Bayer Leverkusen on a free transfer in 2001 and appeared in every game up until the Champions League final, scoring a penalty in a 3-1 home win against Juventus in the second group stage. In 2009, the 35-year-old slotted another spot-kick home against Gianluigi Buffon - this time in a 4-1 win while playing for Bayern Munich. 
  • Options
    25% of the league goals Jack Wilshere scored were awarded goal of the season.
  • Options
    Yeah but One of them wasn’t even best goal of that weekend- the Fulham players volley at Crystal Palace was better than his one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Yeah but One of them wasn’t even best goal of that weekend- the Fulham players volley at Crystal Palace was better than his one 
    Was that Kasami?  Unreal goal that gets really forgotten.  

If Rooney or someone had scored it Sky would rave about it non-stop.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Was that Kasami?  Unreal goal that gets really forgotten.  

If Rooney or someone had scored it Sky would rave about it non-stop.
    That’s the one. Think Wilshire even tweeted ‘there goes my goal of the month award’ when he scored it ( think was Monday night game and he had scored on the Sunday) 
  • Options
    Scotland have just called up a 41 year old who stopped playing in 2012.
  • Options
    (and then started playing again in 2014, admittedly, but that doesn't sound as good).
  • Options
    He's also only back-up and has only made 3 appearances all season. With only 1 clean sheet, which was against a team from the division below.
  • Options
    He's also only back-up and has only made 3 appearances all season. With only 1 clean sheet, which was against a team from the division below.
    With those stats, Andy Scott will be signing him up to be our number one next season! 
  • Options
    Just said on the Champions League commentary that there's not been a penalty shoot out in the CL since 2016!
  • Options
    Just said on the Champions League commentary that there's not been a penalty shoot out in the CL since 2016!
    I think that the main contributory factor for that is that away goals used to count double up until a couple of seasons ago so there had to be a situation, as that of tonight. 
  • Options
    Away goals count double? News to me! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brazilian Ronaldo turned out for Phoenix FC - currently bottom of the Essex NWL Division 8 - on Sunday.  

• Options
    Away goals count double? News to me! 
    It was an expression rather than a reality and only applied in the event of a tie, though in practice the team with more away goals was simply recorded as the winner, rather than having additional or 'double' goals added to their total. That stopped in 2022.
  • Options
    Steve Guppy made one appearance each for the England u21, semi pro, B squad and the full team.
  • Options
    National League Premier(/Conference) points record is 105.

Notts County may well beat that and still not win the league.
    Chesterfield look likely to break at least the old record this season, and could threaten Wrexham's 111.
  • Options
    Steve Guppy made one appearance each for the England u21, semi pro, B squad and the full team.
    And at every level was like a fish out of water.
  • Options
    A player has been signed, conceded four goals, headbutted a fan and been sacked all on the same day:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rushden--diamonds-lewis-patching-32384091.amp
  • Options
    When Manager Mark Robins achieved promotion from League 2 through the Play-offs in the 17/18 season it was Coventry's 1st promotion for 51 years !
  • Options
    Stig said:
    And at every level was like a fish out of water.
    You’re not going to hook me with that line.