Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Boston United have just won promotion to the National League, and will play at that level for the first time, since their relegation from League Two in 2007.
  • edited May 6

Hmm.
    He spent a month playing in league 2 for Swindon in 2003. Surely that doesn’t count as part of his “Premier League Career”, otherwise we’d have to say Louis Fiorini was a Premier League player this year.

”Professional Football Career” would’ve been just fine.

• Hmm.
    He spent a month playing in league 2 for Swindon in 2003. Surely that doesn’t count as part of his “Premier League Career”, otherwise we’d have to say Louis Fiorini was a Premier League player this year.

He played a lot for Leeds in 02/03 and 03/04
  • One I heard yesterday. Everton started 9 English players against Luton last night. The last 45 times a Premier League team has had 9+ English players in the starting lineup, the manager of that team was Sean Dyche.
    Racist
  • Birmingham played Hull four times this season, twice in the league and twice in the FA Cup, and every time they had a different manager.
    With Hull winning just one of those games, the first one actually
  • Scoham said:

Hmm.

Right, but my point was, he didn’t play in the Premier League his whole career. The stat would’ve held up just as well without making it about the Premier League.
  • Scoham said:

Hmm.

Right, but my point was, he didn’t play in the Premier League his whole career. The stat would’ve held up just as well without making it about the Premier League.
    The stat that this one was derived from was that this is the 22nd straight season in which he's played at least one PL game. 

Mr Jolly seems to be very keen on stats based on Milner's longevity, there are some doozies on his Twitter account: https://twitter.com/search?q=milner+from:richjolly&f=live
  • Scoham said:

Hmm.

The stat that this one was derived from was that this is the 22nd straight season in which he's played at least one PL game. 

Mr Jolly seems to be very keen on stats based on Milner's longevity, there are some doozies on his Twitter account: https://twitter.com/search?q=milner+from:richjolly&f=live
    Ah. Ok. 
    I mean, it’s an amazing career, to be fair. And I suppose if your criteria is to have played at least once in the premier each year, then fair enough.
    Unfortunately, the nature of statistics is to frame facts to suit your own agenda, so I’m always a bit suspicious of the wording! It’s the nerd in me! 🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• The captains in a game at Borehamwood were Cox and Wellard
  • About the same time as it took to get to Selhurst Park.
  • Apparently Chelsea got £5m from Real as a result of them reaching the CL final, as part of the Hazard deal, despite the fact he retired a year ago.
  • Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed .. the 'famous' cake on the album's cover was baked by .. Norwich City co owner and one time TV's fav cook .. Delia 'Let's be avin you' Smith
  • Rene Higuita wasn't fit for USA 94 as he'd been in prison for acting as a go between for Pablo Escobar in relation to a kidnapping and the payment of ransom money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently Chelsea got £5m from Real as a result of them reaching the CL final, as part of the Hazard deal, despite the fact he retired a year ago.
    Seems a very bizarre add on, when Hazard was actually a part of the Real Madrid squad that won it 2 seasons ago.
  • Rene Higuita wasn't fit for USA 94 as he'd been in prison for acting as a go between for Pablo Escobar in relation to a kidnapping and the payment of ransom money.
    He scored 11 goals in 20 games for one team!!!

ladapo, aneke, tedic scores less than that combined last season
  • Brendan Rogers has won every Scottish FA Cup game he has managed.

• So FIFA ruled him ineligible in 2013 and yet he continued to play for them and it took them a whole decade before they decided to do something about it? Incredible.
  • Charlton's only FA Cup win is chronologically closer to the first round matches in The Cup's inaugural season 1871-2 than it is to the 2024 final.
  • Charlton Athletic Football Club have the same "birthday" as Donald Duck (June 9th).

(Although CAFC are 29 years older.)
  • edited June 11
    Thought Micky Mouse would have been more appropriate ;)
  • Including this summer’s Euros, England’s number 8 at 6 of the last 7 major championships has been a Liverpool player.

2012: Henderson
    2014: Lampard 
    2016: Lallana
    2018: Henderson
    2020: Henderson
    2022: Henderson
    2024: Alexander-Arnold