Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angriest/ most annoying football moments at Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Bolton away in the 2000 promotion season.

In the time it took for me to buy a coffee and have a piddle I managed to miss both of our goals in a 2-0 win, that was not one of my better days.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Millwall away, 2-0 up with four minutes to go. Drew 2-2.
    I watched that on teletext in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

Their 2 goals updated very late so thought we’d won.

Was pissed off for a while, then remembered where I was and forgot about it.
    Space cake Dave ? 😉
    Speaking from experience are we mate?
  • Options
    I think the angriest I’ve been at a match was against Exeter in the Parkinson era. We were absolute shite and lost 1 0 to a last minute penalty. Went apeshit at the final whistle screaming and shouting at the team how shit they were and to fuck off (I’d had a few beers).

The 5 2 loss at Blackpool ran it a close 2nd.
    You were so angry you missed a Charlton goal.
    I’d forgotten that goal, although I’d left the ground by the time it was scored. Walked the whole length of the stand on the way out telling the team what I thought of them in quite a load voice.
    I also had a tantrum at that game and whilst giving the players some deserved grief that would have gone Pardews way had the arsehole been on our side of the pitch. In fact I think I was either with you or very close to you as hillsy and doyley were in my company as I left. I also had a exchange of views with one of our brightest fans yelling loyal supporter at me. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I think the angriest I’ve been at a match was against Exeter in the Parkinson era. We were absolute shite and lost 1 0 to a last minute penalty. Went apeshit at the final whistle screaming and shouting at the team how shit they were and to fuck off (I’d had a few beers).

I’d forgotten that goal, although I’d left the ground by the time it was scored. Walked the whole length of the stand on the way out telling the team what I thought of them in quite a load voice.
    I also had a tantrum at that game and whilst giving the players some deserved grief that would have gone Pardews way had the arsehole been on our side of the pitch. In fact I think I was either with you or very close to you as hillsy and doyley were in my company as I left. I also had a exchange of views with one of our brightest fans yelling loyal supporter at me. 
    Yep, I was with you mate. Had a pretty decent drink before and after the game though.
  • Options
    Losing 2-1 to Palace in 1989-90 in the “home” game. Palace were up for it, we were pathetic.

Another one that still rankles was losing 2-1 to Leicester in the 5th round of the cup, we simply weren’t interested. 
  • Options
    When the Scum beat us 3-0 in 1988 when we were at the Surrey stadium. Remember being in the half awake stand and watching Briley and Hurlock running rings round our midfield. I was apoplectic with rage.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Yep, I was with you mate. Had a pretty decent drink before and after the game though.
    Typical away weekend that one, football did it's best to ruin it but the Friday and Saturday days and nights were brilliant. I also banged a local on the Friday and nearly made it a double header on the Saturday but for me completely coming to the end of myself and collapsing into a cab 
  • Options
    Drawing 1-1 against Southend at Roots HallHinthe early 90s. Missed two penalties and Curbs got sent off...
  • Options
    100% the Peterborough game

Didnt talk for about a day afterwards, and it still winds me up now, I have never left a game so angry.

How the fuck was it a penalty
    This, 100%. Whatever the outcome it’s just a game of football, you get over it eventually so the sooner the better is my usual view but the Peterborough outcome just stank. Before the game nobody expected us to get anything out of it, they were flying, we were not firing on all cylinders but our players clearly had other ideas and turned up. We should have not lost that and definitely not the way we did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cajetan said:
    Drawing 1-1 against Southend at Roots HallHinthe early 90s. Missed two penalties and Curbs got sent off...
    I was completely off my tits at this. Was in the bogs in the Spread Eagle doing something I shouldn’t be when it all kicked off. Heard a noise and as I walked back into the pub, couldn’t believe what had happened.

I remember thinking thank god I missed it as I would have been no help whatsoever.

We ended up at my mates house in Bexley that evening after 3 more pills and was a complete pain in the arse.

• Options
    Losing to Sheffield United in the FA Cup quarter finals always stings too, what a wasted opportunity that was 
    One of my worst ones too that. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Last game in the prem. Away at Anfield. Already down. Away end was full. Sang non-stop for 90 mins. Entire team came over to give us a clap, except for one M.Bent esq who just jogged straight down the tunnel. Arrogant tosser.

Pretty much every time Darren Ambrose pulled on a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Losing to Sheffield United in the FA Cup quarter finals always stings too, what a wasted opportunity that was 
    Losing to Boro in the quarters in 2006 was more of a wasted opportunity in my mind.

We should have beaten them in the first game at The Valley and I am still convinced we’d have at least made the final, if not won it that season.
  • Options
    I forget which year it was, but away game a Middlesbrough. I don't think we had a single shot. Mark Schwarzer wore a completely white goal keeping kit and finished the game looking like a Daz advert.
  • Options
    Robbie Savage and the brochure chucking incident v Leicester City.  Can’t remember the year.
  • Options
    Losing to Boro in the quarters in 2006 was more of a wasted opportunity in my mind.

We should have beaten them in the first game at The Valley and I am still convinced we’d have at least made the final, if not won it that season.
    Operation cursed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I completely agree, I very very rarely disagreed with anything Curbishley did but he 100% should have started Ambrose behind Bent that night we were completely overrun in midfield and the gap between the forwards and midfield was horrible. We would have dealt with West Ham and then I'd have given us a strong chance against Liverpool in the final 
  • Options
    Usually start 10 minutes into the first half and last for approximately 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    The Fulham game at home with their free kick that should never have been. Wanted to kill that lino and ref.

Another that sticks in the mind was when we were beating Derby 3-1 at home and lost 3-4. Think about 1995?
  • Options
    Millwall away, 2-0 up with four minutes to go. Drew 2-2.
    I watched that on teletext in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

Their 2 goals updated very late so thought we’d won.

Was pissed off for a while, then remembered where I was and forgot about it.
    I was at the game with big bro (@Largeaddick) & parents. Mum couldn't understand what all the fuss was about when their 2nd went in - somehow she had missed their first & thought we were still ahead. 

Think the most pissed off I've ever been was the Wycome quarter final game. Not only did we lose to a team a few leagues lower than us we were so poor it looked as though they were a few divisions above us. I ran down to front of the East stand & threw my shirt at the players at the end as I couldn't bare wearing the same one as them. 
  • Options
    Wycombe H in the cup. I've never been so angry.
    That was the first time I could ever recall hearing "You're not fit to wear the shirt" chants go around The Valley.

Fulham at home as others have said too, it stopped our momentum in our tracks. The other thing that annoyed me about that game was I had a hunch, a gut feel that we would not only win that game but win it 2-1. We were supposed to win that game 2-1 and that dodgy throw in leading to the dodgy free kick and the goal wasn't supposed to happen. When I get a gut feel like I had that night, it often happens. That goal ended our season.
  • Options
    Dagenham and Redbridge away in the league. The worst I have ever felt.
  • Options
    The 2-1 loss at Anfield in 2003. We'd need winless for quite a few games, but we're up 1-0 with 5 to go. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with the Fulham comments.

Almost laughable more than anger-inducing was the game against Swindon: table-topping Charlton going for a record number of successive victories against the team rock-bottom yet Deano managed to place an innocuous cross into his own net and we simply failed to score. And diminutive Willie Carson taking the piss at half-time!
  • Options
    Cajetan said:
    I was completely off my tits at this. Was in the bogs in the Spread Eagle doing something I shouldn’t be when it all kicked off. Heard a noise and as I walked back into the pub, couldn’t believe what had happened.

I remember thinking thank god I missed it as I would have been no help whatsoever.

We ended up at my mates house in Bexley that evening after 3 more pills and was a complete pain in the arse.

You don’t normally need 3 pills, to be one.