Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angriest/ most annoying football moments at Charlton

123457»

Comments

• Options
    quite a few mentioned already.

one that springs to mind is Rodger Johnson playing in a friendly against Bromley. we lost i think but it was his constant swearing and barracking of his team mates. our goalie at the time told him to shut the fuck up. joke is Johnson was the worst player out there that day. 

another one was when i believed Danny Mills deliberately got himself sent off. me and my dad were livid. my dad lost it and it was a bit of luck for Mills that there were several rows of seats with people in them between him and the pitch. 
  • Options
    The Mills sending off was an absolute disgrace......entirely engineered by himself so he could have Christmas & New years off with his family.
  • Options
    Wycombe, Fulham, Sheff U (cup) like many others.  Of those 3 it's the SU one that really got to me... we seemed to surrender so tamely

One I've not seen mentioned that I was seething about was Spurs away 77-78, the one season Spurs had in Div 2.  We were in freefall after a good 1st half of the season, Spurs were surprisingly not running away with the league.  So both teams needed all the help they can get.  We went 1-up through Martin Robinson, and though Spurs huffed & puffed, we rode our luck and kept battling.  Then they got a penalty..SAVED by Jeff Wood.  It seemed the day could be ours.

Then Steve Perryman dived and got a 2nd penalty, duly converted, and you can guess the rest.  Final score 2-1 to them.  When i say he dived, that's not simply my opinion - Perryman actually admitted it in the Sunday papers.  So my anger at 5.00 that day (and the rest of the evening) was pretty justified.  We nearly went down on the strength of that...
  • Options
    Ah - so many... And I haven't been a regular for 15 years.

Firstly the ones others have mentioned and with which I heartily concur.

2- 0 up at Millwall
    Boxing Day at Wimbledon
    Fulham (though I only saw this on the tele)
    WBA away in the cup - I would add that the goal was actually scored by a puddle in this game, just to make matters worse...

Then there was Arsenal away, 1989, Peakey got shoved over in the penalty area and the referee, Alan Seville decided to ignore it. In the same game, if I recall correctly, a harmless Crossfield ball going nowhere lightly brushed John Humphry's hand and the short arse git had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The next issue of VOTV was adorned with a picture of Seville in full flight with his eyes closed.

Sheff Weds at Selhurst, 1990. The ninth of a ten run losing streak stretching from the previous season. Robert Lee taken out at the knees by (I think) John Sheridan in the penalty area. Wolverhampton's second most famous newsagent, Gurnham Singh, was within about 10 yards, with an unobstructed view, but just decided to wave it away.

Van Den Hauwe's first minute elbow on Newton in '93. Once again ignored by referee, Mr Bigger.

The last minute Alex Rae winner at the New Dump in '94. Probably the most hard done by I have ever felt at a match.

5-0 defeat at West Ham, boxing day 2000. Another Christmas ruined.  

I feel your pain Algarve! I was at all these too! But living in oz for the last 10 years, I haven’t had to endure the more recent ones.
  • Options
    Has 3-0 away defeat at Wigan been mentioned, pathetic performance by all involved. Players came over at the end to applaud supporters and were promptly told to go away impolitely.
  • Options
    The Mills sending off was an absolute disgrace......entirely engineered by himself so he could have Christmas & New years off with his family.
    https://twitter.com/copa90/status/1077851511873507328?s=21
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Has 3-0 away defeat at Wigan been mentioned, pathetic performance by all involved. Players came over at the end to applaud supporters and were promptly told to go away impolitely.
    Had forgotten about that one. Only time I've ever left a match early and truly questioned why I bothered following the team up and down the country.
  • Options
    I dunno whether this qualifies but coming back from the Carlisle promotion game in 1986, on a scheduled train with a buffet car, to hear the announcement that the train had been declared "alcohol free". I mean , WTF?

A couple of seats down from me were a couple of guys in their 40s who had used their earnings from their lucrative Middle East jobs to fly over specially for the game and with the champagne bottle ready for the happy journey home. And the ticket inspector was telling them they could not open it.
  • Options
    All the cup ones....Boro, Bolton, Sheffield U, Wycombe
    Liverpool at home in the premiership relegation season was pretty bad. You come forgive lack of quality but that day we had a lack of effort and quality. I remember Faye being so bad he was substituted after a wayward pass
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Bolton away in the fa cup in 2000. I was livid and kicked the seat in front of me. Remember my best mate losing his shit at west ham in 2002 when di canio dived to win a penalty then kanite crossed for a goal when the ball had gone out of play. Hating west ham contributed to that, dislike them more than palace.
  • Options
    Losing 7-1 away at Luton is still right up there - and topical ahead of the weekend. 

And Wycombe. Only good thing about that was that it helped me discover Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Very Charlton related. 1972, second home game of the season was on a Tuesday night. I was 13. My parents had booked a week in Hastings. I suggested that I’d go down on Wednesday after the game. They were going down on Saturday, so they weren’t having that. So I suggested me coming back on Tuesday, going to the game, stay overnight and go down on Wednesday. But they weren’t going to let a 13 year old me loose on the world, so Hastings it was. 

We’d been crap for the previous 2 seasons, and lost the first home game. Tuesday comes, and we’re back at the house they’d rented. I switch on the TV to get the results at the end of the news. 6-0 win. 

I don't think I've ever been quite so annoyed about a win since that day. 
  • Options
    Cajetan said:
    Drawing 1-1 against Southend at Roots HallHinthe early 90s. Missed two penalties and Curbs got sent off...
    I was completely off my tits at this. Was in the bogs in the Spread Eagle doing something I shouldn’t be when it all kicked off. Heard a noise and as I walked back into the pub, couldn’t believe what had happened.

I remember thinking thank god I missed it as I would have been no help whatsoever.

We ended up at my mates house in Bexley that evening after 3 more pills and was a complete pain in the arse.

Millwall away, 2-0 up with four minutes to go. Drew 2-2.
    I watched that on teletext in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

Their 2 goals updated very late so thought we’d won.

Was pissed off for a while, then remembered where I was and forgot about it.
    I've never met you Dave, but if i did, i think i'd quite like you (not in that way).
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Losing 6 - 1 at home to Leeds.

I absolutely despised that Leeds team. They were absolute dirt. Complete filth of a football team.

To see us capitulate to them made me shake with anger. I remember when the fifth goal went in, I screamed so loud that the next five rows turned round to see who made that noise, and a stranger asked me if I was OK.
    Didn’t they pretty much score within a couple of minutes of the 1st and 2nd half KO?
    You're thinking of a couple of years before the 6-1 defeat.

Viduka put them ahead after 11 seconds............which i missed as i was still queueing to get in the ground.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Losing 6 - 1 at home to Leeds.

I absolutely despised that Leeds team. They were absolute dirt. Complete filth of a football team.

To see us capitulate to them made me shake with anger. I remember when the fifth goal went in, I screamed so loud that the next five rows turned round to see who made that noise, and a stranger asked me if I was OK.
    Didn’t they pretty much score within a couple of minutes of the 1st and 2nd half KO?
    You're thinking of a couple of years before the 6-1 defeat.

Viduka put them ahead after 11 seconds............which i missed as i was still queueing to get in the ground.
    So were our back four evidently.
  • Options
    Millwall away, 2-0 up with four minutes to go. Drew 2-2.
    That's the one.  They nearly scored a winner, too.  That really would have been too much to bear.
  • Options
    I'm sure there was an interview on telly with him and Pardew chuckling about it. Gits....
  • Options
    Very Charlton related. 1972, second home game of the season was on a Tuesday night. I was 13. My parents had booked a week in Hastings. I suggested that I’d go down on Wednesday after the game. They were going down on Saturday, so they weren’t having that. So I suggested me coming back on Tuesday, going to the game, stay overnight and go down on Wednesday. But they weren’t going to let a 13 year old me loose on the world, so Hastings it was. 

We’d been crap for the previous 2 seasons, and lost the first home game. Tuesday comes, and we’re back at the house they’d rented. I switch on the TV to get the results at the end of the news. 6-0 win. 

Loved that game and the 6 goals we scored about a week later. :-) 

One was v Swansea & the other Notts C.

Flanagan scored 4 in one.
    This was the first season I had a S/T & my run started of never missing a game, apart from unavoidable weddings. 
  • Options

Loved that game and the 6 goals we scored about a week later. :-) 

One was v Swansea & the other Notts C.

Flanagan scored 4 in one.
    This was the first season I had a S/T & my run started of never missing a game, apart from unavoidable weddings
    Are they the sort where the bride's expecting and her Dad's packing a shotgun?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a long standing sufferer feel obliged to put my views up. All mainly done before and I was at them all. Sheff Utd in cup, Millwall 2-0 up and cruising, Wigan away with Murphy sulking on the right hand touchline and some bloke telling me to support the team rather than barrack them for such a lack of effort. 

But nothing will ever top that Wycombe cup game. Premier league v Division 2 and they outplayed us and I don't think we even came close to equalising. Made Jermaine Easter look like Pele. Marcus Bent telling his team mates not to clap the fans as we had sung you're not fit to wear the shirt. Wanker - deserves a good tazering.
  • Options
    That Wycombe game was like the Iceland-England debacle - players you knew who could do better incapable of passing the ball 5 yards with any certainty, basically looking like eleven strangers.   We 'd been getting worse and worse and there was a certain grim inevitability about what happened, but it was a horror show.