Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angriest/ most annoying football moments at Charlton

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:
    The abject performance at Northampton the other season, no heart, no bottle, and no effort, hated the team that day, and the abuse they got at the end was fully justified IMO 
    Missed that game protesting in Belgium. 
  • Options
    Also remember being angry at that bloody beach we had to play on at Stamford Bridge... Still of the opinion that if it were any team outside of the top six then that game wouldnt have been allowed!!

Not to mention the year they won the Premier League and got that bloody penalty that wasnt; instead of saying how it wasnt a penalty the commentators were beating one out saying how it wasnt a day about Charlton in the first place - Piss off, a win for us would have put us in the top ten that season!!
    Think that also cost us a couple of places, and it was quite a few bob a place from sky in those days
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chunes said:
    Did Bent suffer because he was at Charlton and not high profile? Many English players have suffered the same fate. It's only under Southgate that we now have players from all clubs playing regularly. Before, it was all top 4 clubs or high profile players. Even if the players were crap.

Not strange. 
    You put a question mark at the end of your first sentence as if you aren’t that sure yourself and rightly so.....it’s a matter of opinion.
    When it comes to picking an international squad there will always be disappointed  players and fans.....we were all disappointed that Darren wasn’t chosen and hindsight as a manager (in any sport), will always be a curse waiting to kick you in the arse.
    Have you considered that if Darren had been chosen instead of Walcott there would have been many more thousands of disappointed Gooners (given their fan base), than Addicks.
    The question mark was me wanting to sound a bit less forceful. Why read so much into it? As someone else pointed out, Bent was top English scorer and was dropped for a 16 year old who then didn't play a single second (!) of world cup football. Even Arsenal fans were shocked he was picked and the decision was criticised throughout the world cup and after it.

You seem to be in the minority on this one.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Did Bent suffer because he was at Charlton and not high profile? Many English players have suffered the same fate. It's only under Southgate that we now have players from all clubs playing regularly. Before, it was all top 4 clubs or high profile players. Even if the players were crap.

Not strange. 
    You put a question mark at the end of your first sentence as if you aren’t that sure yourself and rightly so.....it’s a matter of opinion.
    When it comes to picking an international squad there will always be disappointed  players and fans.....we were all disappointed that Darren wasn’t chosen and hindsight as a manager (in any sport), will always be a curse waiting to kick you in the arse.
    Have you considered that if Darren had been chosen instead of Walcott there would have been many more thousands of disappointed Gooners (given their fan base), than Addicks.
    The question mark was me wanting to sound a bit less forceful. Why read so much into it? As someone else pointed out, Bent was top English scorer and was dropped for a 16 year old who then didn't play a single second (!) of world cup football. Even Arsenal fans were shocked he was picked and the decision was criticised throughout the world cup and after it.

No, not at all.......I have many thousands of Gooners who would no doubt agree with me......if you get my drift. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not strange. 

No, not at all.......I have many thousands of Gooners who would no doubt agree with me......if you get my drift. 
    I don't. I think on this one you're about as sound as a three pound coin ;)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not strange. 

I doubt even Walcotts parents would agree with you.
    It was and always will be a ridiculous decision. 
    When did I say it wasn’t a ridiculous decision, it clearly was, but I STILL don’t consider it was an ‘intentional’ slap in the face for Charlton or worthy of ‘hating’ Ericsson, as Jessie inferred.  Which is what I was trying (without much success it would seem), to convey and disagree with.
    End of!!
  • Options
    Not read the whole thread so sorry if someone has already mentioned it but Robinson’s smirk leaving the pitch after we’d lost his last game in charge really wound me up. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not strange. 

I doubt even Walcotts parents would agree with you.
    It was and always will be a ridiculous decision. 
    When did I say it wasn’t a ridiculous decision, it clearly was, but I STILL don’t consider it was an ‘intentional’ slap in the face for Charlton or worthy of ‘hating’ Ericsson, as Jessie inferred.  Which is what I was trying (without much success it would seem), to convey and disagree with.
    End of!!
    No one is inferring that Sven has anything against Charlton in particular, would be funny and bizarre if he did though. The point is that we were robbed of watching a Charlton player play for England at a World Cup purely because we're an unfashionable side. As it was mentioned, he was the top-scoring English striker in the Prem that season and Theo had barely played - that's frustrating. I also don't think Jessie has a Sven voodoo doll, but if she does... that would be weird.

I don't know how many current Charlton players have played for England in a World Cup, but it would have been awesome to see DB leading the line with Rooney & co... I was buzzing just watching Reza for Iran!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Losing 6 - 1 at home to Leeds.

I absolutely despised that Leeds team. They were absolute dirt. Complete filth of a football team.

To see us capitulate to them made me shake with anger. I remember when the fifth goal went in, I screamed so loud that the next five rows turned round to see who made that noise, and a stranger asked me if I was OK.
    Didn’t they pretty much score within a couple of minutes of the 1st and 2nd half KO?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sven definitely didn't have anything against Charlton. Don't forget it was he who picked Sir Chris Powell, and explained his entirely rational decision to a momentarily gobsmacked media.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I absolutely despised that Leeds team. They were absolute dirt. Complete filth of a football team.

To see us capitulate to them made me shake with anger. I remember when the fifth goal went in, I screamed so loud that the next five rows turned round to see who made that noise, and a stranger asked me if I was OK.
    Didn’t they pretty much score within a couple of minutes of the 1st and 2nd half KO?
    12th and 54th minute were first goals of each half
  • Options
    Sven definitely didn't have anything against Charlton. Don't forget it was he who picked Sir Chris Powell, and explained his entirely rational decision to a momentarily gobsmacked media.
    Agreed - he picked several Addicks during his tenure. However the Bent/Walcott thing was inexplicable.    
  • Options
    That bastion of all knowledge re Sarf London the Evening Gooner said at the time "Chris who?" In fact it was a headline.

Even free I wouldn't use it for the hedgehogs to shit on
  • Options
    Scoring 4 against 10 man Millwall and still managing to leave feeling like a defeat.
    Pardew doing a sarcastic clap to the covered end after the 5-2 defeat to Sheffield United. 
    It took me at least a week to get over that Millwall game - I was absolutely fuming. 

Millwall away at the old ground, when we let a 2 goal lead slip in the last couple of minutes.

Northwich Victoria (a)
    Fulham (h)

Sheff Utd in the cup. Not so much fuming, but more a feeling that we were at the beginning of a disastrous period in our history.

Dozens more from when I was a young kid and I would cry when we lost away to a late goal, with Peter Burrows on LBC imparting the bad news.

• Options
    Scoring 4 against 10 man Millwall and still managing to leave feeling like a defeat.
    Pardew doing a sarcastic clap to the covered end after the 5-2 defeat to Sheffield United. 
    It took me at least a week to get over that Millwall game - I was absolutely fuming. 

Millwall away at the old ground, when we let a 2 goal lead slip in the last couple of minutes.

Northwich Victoria (a)
    Fulham (h)

Sheff Utd in the cup. Not so much fuming, but more a feeling that we were at the beginning of a disastrous period in our history.

Dozens more from when I was a young kid and I would cry when we lost away to a late goal, with Peter Burrows on LBC imparting the bad news.

Anglo Italian cup IIRC
  • Options
    nah, midweek league game.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Northwich Victoria (a)
    Fulham (h)

Anglo Italian cup IIRC
    No, it was a league game (unless it happened twice).
  • Options
    milo said:
    Away Crystal Palace, Boxing Day 1984. This was some time ago so my memory might be a bit rusty Tony Lange was injured and we didn’t even get a free kick. Steve Gritt goes in goal to replace him.  A long ball (surprise surprise) is launched in to the Charlton box. Steve Gritt, the whole Charlton defence, 3000 away fans all expect it to bounce nicely into Steve Gritt’s hands but it just stops dead in a puddle of mud and palace player who is obviously used to playing in puddles of mud strolls up and blasts the ball home.

Correct (although I think the away fans figure was much lower....overall crowd was 9,500). The gleeful goal-scorer was Kevin Mabbutt....he didn't even break stride to lash it home. Tony Lange broke his ankle in the 2nd minute.
  • Options
    Weirdly, my angriest and most annoyed Charlton moment didn't even really come at the time, because I was too young to really understand what had gone on. 

But I happened to watch on YouTube, many years after the fact, that Muscat tackle on Matty Holmes. He wasn't even with us for long or anything, but it was horrifying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

You might be thinking of a different match, I think the previous season. We lost 2-1 and Leeds' goals came in the 1st and 46th minutes (or at least it seemed that quick!)
  • Options
    “You know people say, ‘I’m going to break your legs’, when he would say it you genuinely believed him.”

From Crouchys book. Said Muscat is the only player he was genuinely scared of on the pitch.

Unfortunately, Holmes wasn’t his only victim.
    his Wikipedia entry for the list of assaults on other players is longer than the entry on his playing career.

scum
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Northwich Victoria (a)
    Fulham (h)

Anglo Italian cup IIRC
    No, it was a league game (unless it happened twice).
    We beat them 2-1 in the Anglo Italian cup, think Barness scoring the winner, his last goal before his move to Chelsea.
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey and his shit fake fouls and rolling around on the floor 

the cup game to Wycombe 

the cup cup game at Sheffield utd

every millwank game we lose 

the day we let curbs go 

when bowyer goes 

the day we employed Tony the tea boy 

• Options
    “You know people say, ‘I’m going to break your legs’, when he would say it you genuinely believed him.”

From Crouchys book. Said Muscat is the only player he was genuinely scared of on the pitch.

Unfortunately, Holmes wasn’t his only victim.
    his Wikipedia entry for the list of assaults on other players is longer than the entry on his playing career.

scum
    Muscat is the only player I have ever willingly wished a career ending injury on. Absolute scumbag of a player.
  • Options
    Has to be the Wycombe game in the league Cup. Was fuming 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Only time I've lost my mind was Chelsea away, last minute pen on final day of the season the first time they won it under Mourinho. Foul outside box, pen saved then scuffed in on rebound, cameraman celebrating on the pitch with players. It was a strange reaction because the was nothing riding on it, but we'd played so well away at the champions and the injustice drove me mad. I was ranting like a lunatic amongst the home fans in the east stand. I stormed off and carried on ranting in the street until I was eventually attacked by a Chelsea fan, at which point I stopped. 
    Holland had a big chance earlier in the 2nd half as well, to put us up 1-0.
    Got invited to the game (corporate box) and was forced to sit in a Chelsea pub afterwards, watching them celebrating.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It would be great to retrieve Mick Collins match report for the OS. It was grimly, brilliantly funny, the written equivalent of your scream. He was fired for it....
    Did he really? Would love to get my hands on that.
  • Options
    Brunello said:
    Dagenham and Redbridge away in the league. The worst I have ever felt.
    Id erased that one from my memory.... thanks mate 😊