Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angriest/ most annoying football moments at Charlton

Comments

• Options
    I remember storming out when Friedel scored

Twat
    I’ll always remember how shite I felt when he scored, then seconds later, us getting the winner, it felt so good.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The Fulham game at home with their free kick that should never have been. Wanted to kill that lino and ref.

Another that sticks in the mind was when we were beating Derby 3-1 at home and lost 3-4. Think about 1995?
    Yeah the Derby game was when Tom Hovi made his infamous subs appearance. His only contribution was a clearance in his own box that went straight up into the air if I remember 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Colchester away FA Cup defeat was the end of an awful week, laundry basket day. I left fuming.

Going further back a boxing day, early kick off trouncing at Wimbledon gave me the raging hump as well.
    That Colchester game was grim. Funnily I wasn't so bothered about the 6-0 at Hull which followed, I think gallows humour had set in by then!
    That's because you would probably have been already angered out  by the 5-0 capitulation at Uddersfield like I was on the Tuesday in between those two games😉. That was when Henderson was hung out to dry in front of the media and Reza got sent off for two yellows in the space of about 10 mins as a sub to a large flea in his ear from Solly 😡.
  • Options
    As mentioned previously , at the shit pit old den 0-2 up 4 mins to go and the slags score twice in millwall time and break hearts the 0-3 at shithurst with a load of their filthy scum in the half awake stand was a real angry one
  • Options
    Wycombe H in the cup. I've never been so angry.
    That was the first time I could ever recall hearing "You're not fit to wear the shirt" chants go around The Valley.

Fulham at home as others have said too, it stopped our momentum in our tracks. The other thing that annoyed me about that game was I had a hunch, a gut feel that we would not only win that game but win it 2-1. We were supposed to win that game 2-1 and that dodgy throw in leading to the dodgy free kick and the goal wasn't supposed to happen. When I get a gut feel like I had that night, it often happens. That goal ended our season.
    Wycombe in the cup at home for me as well. The North stand joined in with the Wycombe ‘Premiership you're having a laugh' and 'You're/ We're sh*t and we know we are chants'. I also remember the Charlton manager (Les Reed?) being loudly booed by home fans when he caught a bouncing ball when standing on the touchline.

As always it wasn’t just the result, it was the lack of effort by the team that made you angry. The rot had well and truly settled in.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Colchester away FA Cup defeat was the end of an awful week, laundry basket day. I left fuming.

Going further back a boxing day, early kick off trouncing at Wimbledon gave me the raging hump as well.
    That Colchester game was grim. Funnily I wasn't so bothered about the 6-0 at Hull which followed, I think gallows humour had set in by then!
    Totally with you on both Killer. I remember going to Hull and expecting absolutely nothing, and the humour was so good. It was one of the most woeful performances I've seen from a Charlton side though. Who was that defender (so impactful I can't remember his name?) that we had on loan from M'boro (I think)? He was atrocious.

Also, the Bristol Rovers away game where Basey got properly done in the first minute and the ref (Kettle?) bottled sending their player off. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:

Totally with you on both Killer. I remember going to Hull and expecting absolutely nothing, and the humour was so good. It was one of the most woeful performances I've seen from a Charlton side though. Who was that defender (so impactful I can't remember his name?) that we had on loan from M'boro (I think)? He was atrocious.

Also, the Bristol Rovers away game where Basey got properly done in the first minute and the ref (Kettle?) bottled sending their player off. 
    Rhys Williams, Australian who had been out injured for about a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The entire Coventry City team led by the “animal” George Curtis and managed by Jimmy Hill. A pitifully weak referee didn’t help matters.
    Without doubt, the filthiest dirtiest team ever to have stepped out at The Valley!
    18th February 1967...... if I’m not mistaken?
    Wasn't that the game when we had to lend them some of our away strip?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    The entire Coventry City team led by the “animal” George Curtis and managed by Jimmy Hill. A pitifully weak referee didn’t help matters.
    Without doubt, the filthiest dirtiest team ever to have stepped out at The Valley!
    Wasn't that the game when we had to lend them some of our away strip?
    Not sure about that......it would probably have been thrown away after the game covered  in Matt Tees (plus a few others), blood!
  • Options
    Most cup games in the last 20 years... 
  • Options
    Daggers away in Powell’s first season in charge, the worst I have ever seen a Charlton team play...........and I was in Essex!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Vs Barnsley in 1997. Last minute or certainly late on, 2-2 and our keeper can't remember if it was Salmon or Petterson makes the save, ball on the line and Hendrie and Wilkinson storm in from them and basically start kicking the crap out of him trying to force the ball out of his hands into the net.

Completely lost it, only time as a kid though I think everyone around me let me off for swearing. I turned the air blue!
  • Options
    Losing 6-1 at home to Leeds broke my heart as a kid.
    Was walking around College basically in shock for about a week after that result

Had never known us to lose by that scoreline and was just stunned
  • Options
    after the 6-1 home defeat to Leeds we played Birmingham I think the next home game and were 2-0 down after about 20 mins....earliest I've ever walked out of a game.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Ah - so many... And I haven't been a regular for 15 years.

Firstly the ones others have mentioned and with which I heartily concur.

2- 0 up at Millwall
    Boxing Day at Wimbledon
    Fulham (though I only saw this on the tele)
    WBA away in the cup - I would add that the goal was actually scored by a puddle in this game, just to make matters worse...

Then there was Arsenal away, 1989, Peakey got shoved over in the penalty area and the referee, Alan Seville decided to ignore it. In the same game, if I recall correctly, a harmless Crossfield ball going nowhere lightly brushed John Humphry's hand and the short arse git had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The next issue of VOTV was adorned with a picture of Seville in full flight with his eyes closed.

Sheff Weds at Selhurst, 1990. The ninth of a ten run losing streak stretching from the previous season. Robert Lee taken out at the knees by (I think) John Sheridan in the penalty area. Wolverhampton's second most famous newsagent, Gurnham Singh, was within about 10 yards, with an unobstructed view, but just decided to wave it away.

Van Den Hauwe's first minute elbow on Newton in '93. Once again ignored by referee, Mr Bigger.

The last minute Alex Rae winner at the New Dump in '94. Probably the most hard done by I have ever felt at a match.

5-0 defeat at West Ham, boxing day 2000. Another Christmas ruined.  

• Options
    This is a bit of an odd one but after our first season of staying up in prem we were absolutely kin brilliant at home, played without fear and just attacked attacked attacked. First game of season we played a very mediocre and beatable Everton side at home. Curbs set up to combat the way Everton played and it really pissed me off that we worried about them and not let them worry about us. 
    We lost the game 2 1 I think and I was fuming about the way we went about the game.

Ahh, ignorant times eh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing to Colchester in the FA Cup, a new low!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Think the Wimbledon fixture you’re referring to was the one I got up early on Boxing Day morning and drove down from Lincoln where I spent Christmas Day with the family. Felt guilty to have left them all, but being an Addick duty called.
    Without doubt, the most disinterested Charlton side I have ever seen, an absolutely disgraceful, shitty, listless performance of the first order that will stick in my memory for ever.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35269685

Yes, back 4 of Solly, Roger Johnson, Rhys Williams and Harry Lennon! Naby Sarr on the bench alongside Fox, Bauer must have been injured.

Whereas the Hull back 4 included Harry Maguire and Andrew Robertson!
  • Options
    Against Leeds in the Prem when they decided to kick lumps out of Parker, think David Batty put him about 4ft up in the air at one point and I lost the plot.
  • Options
    2014 - present has been pretty annoying. 
  • Options
    Losing 6-1 at home to Leeds broke my heart as a kid.
    Was walking around College basically in shock for about a week after that result

Had never known us to lose by that scoreline and was just stunned
    Always remember the next week we were away to Blackburn, lost 1-0.
    at full time we were doing a conga down the stairs singing “we didn’t lose 6-1”
  • Options
    My dad spoke about that as being the dirtiest side he had ever seen, he disliked Coventry from that day and even brought it up as some sort of revenge the day we won 3-2 in the cup after being 2-0 down. He would have been fuming this season losing to them twice. 
  • Options
    I forget which year it was, but away game a Middlesbrough. I don't think we had a single shot. Mark Schwarzer wore a completely white goal keeping kit and finished the game looking like a Daz advert.
    I was there and echo these sentiments. 2 days before Christmas or something like that. Questioned my sanity on the long Valley away coach journey home