Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angriest/ most annoying football moments at Charlton

Comments

• Options
    CAn we use his proper name? The Thing from Tring.
  • Options
    Palace away. Just after the introduction of no passing back to the goalie.
    Pitcher tries to clear the ball up field, slices the ball, it flies upwards and backwards to the goalie.
    Palace score from the free kick.
    Remember that well. The only time that happened, ever. I believe it was another referee that seemed to have it in for us - Kelvin Morton? 

Who was that bloke from Charlton who went around shagging referees wives like there was no tomorrow?      
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Actually, add another one: The 0-0 draw against Bolton under Riga. We desperately needed to win to stand any chance of staying up, we were up against possibly the only team worse than us, and the match was just pathetic. We set up weirdly defensively, didn't make any changes until far too late and had two shots on target all game in a match we absolutely had to win. I know we didn't exactly have a lot of options but one of the players he brought on was Bergdich for Christ's sake. That really ended the Riga affection for me. That and the 0-0 against MK Dons (one shot on target) in March that also should have been an easy result if the players had just turned up. That match ended with Yaya Sanogo elbowing one of their players in the head, putting all of us out of the misery of having Yaya Sanogo on the pitch.

God that season was depressing.
    I think I was one of the 100-200 people that went to that game, Tuesday night when both teams got mathematically relegated if I remember correctly?

Went on my own after work (was in Manchester) and it was a bizarre atmosphere-less game that was matched on the pitch by a set of drab performances where both teams deserved to go down on that game alone. I don't remember any meaningful attempts on goal by either side.

About a dozen muppets from our away fans went around looking for a scrap afterwards and just got odd looks from everyone. I wasn't angry as such at all, just very low about our prospects back down in League 1 - really felt the grip of the Roland-era apathy after that game.
  • Options
    Thinking back, actually the angriest for me probably was Sheffield Utd away.

I remember Jacko rushing over to take a corner in front of our fans at 2-0 down and he looked absolutely raging as well.
  • Options
    Not a footballing incident but:

at a Fans Forum meeting at The Valley and being talked down to by Meire as if she was addressing a bunch of over-emotional idiots. 
    Came away with angry sinking feeling in the stomach at her total lack of empathy with the fans and her openly contemptuous attitude.
    Easily the worst I've ever felt inside The Valley 

As a long time supporter there is just too many matches to single out one or two. Most of the ones mentioned above have annoyed me so much I think I have become resistant to getting the hump over Charlton. But Coyotejohn1947 post is the one for me. I wasn't at any fans forum but I did meet the thing at a Valley Gold meeting, I couldn't believe the grovelling turds in that meeting apologizing on behalf of others over the foul and nasty treatment she had suffered. As if she ever cared what people thought of her. Absolute sickening and cringe worthy behaviour.  
  • Options
    The Chelsea sand pit. As they were playing us the pitch was OK.
  • Options
    Kevin Richardson scything down Andy Peake at Highbury,the most blatant penalty ever Alan Seville with the riduculous long tongues on his boots ignored it,the most biased bit of refereing I have\ seen.
  • Options
    Definitely the Van Persie goal. Every time someone mentions that I tell them he shouldn't have been on the pitch. 

The Fulham free kick.

The Wycombe cup game. 

Boro away in the cup QF - team bottled it.

Throwing away a 2-0 win at home to Chelsea after being 3-2 up - we'd beaten them 4 times in a row before that. 

Bottling it every time we play Millwall.

Every Hasselbaink performance.

Every Karl Robinson interview.

• Options
    This season for me was Bowyer putting out a very weak team vs Donny in the FA Cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually, add another one: The 0-0 draw against Bolton under Riga. We desperately needed to win to stand any chance of staying up, we were up against possibly the only team worse than us, and the match was just pathetic. We set up weirdly defensively, didn't make any changes until far too late and had two shots on target all game in a match we absolutely had to win. I know we didn't exactly have a lot of options but one of the players he brought on was Bergdich for Christ's sake. That really ended the Riga affection for me. That and the 0-0 against MK Dons (one shot on target) in March that also should have been an easy result if the players had just turned up. That match ended with Yaya Sanogo elbowing one of their players in the head, putting all of us out of the misery of having Yaya Sanogo on the pitch.

God that season was depressing.
    I had to google this name - I had totally wiped him from my memory like some kind of trauma sufferer.
  • Options
    Definitely the Van Persie goal. Every time someone mentions that I tell them he shouldn't have been on the pitch.

And he shinned it.
  • Options
    The angriest I've been was when we played Plymouth at the Valley when Rob Styles booked 10 players and didn't book their arsehole who seriously injured Todorov. 
  • Options
    This season for me was Bowyer putting out a very weak team vs Donny in the FA Cup
    I'm looking at league table and still think the same I did at the time. 
  • Options
    Darren Bent being left out of the England squad for the World Cup finals in 2006. Before that I'd always supported England in World Cup and Euro finals but when Bent was snubbed I was so angry that I hoped England failed miserably in the tournament! I got the impression that we, Charlton as a club, were completely overlooked. No matter what big achievements we had had we couldn't/wouldn't get the recognition we deserved. And I've hated Eriksson for choosing young Walcott over Bent ever since.
    Jessie.....that’s a bit of a strange post.
    You ‘hate’ someone because they preferred one player over another and in addition you took it to be a slight against our club...that’s stretching things wouldn’t you say?
    He would have chosen what HE thought was the best squad.....you may well disagree, that I can understand, but not to the point of hatred.....now that’s just plain weird if you ask me.
    I can think of a number of players over the six+ decades of my support who I considered worthy of an England call up, but I didn’t even remotely end up hating any of the managers who failed to pick them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Darren Bent being left out of the England squad for the World Cup finals in 2006. Before that I'd always supported England in World Cup and Euro finals but when Bent was snubbed I was so angry that I hoped England failed miserably in the tournament! I got the impression that we, Charlton as a club, were completely overlooked. No matter what big achievements we had had we couldn't/wouldn't get the recognition we deserved. And I've hated Eriksson for choosing young Walcott over Bent ever since.
    Jessie.....that’s a bit of a strange post.
    You ‘hate’ someone because they preferred one player over another and in addition you took it to be a slight against our club...that’s stretching things wouldn’t you say?
    He would have chosen what HE thought was the best squad.....you may well disagree, that I can understand, but not to the point of hatred.....now that’s just plain weird if you ask me.
    I can think of a number of players over the six+ decades of my support who I considered worthy of an England call up, but I didn’t even remotely end up hating any of the managers who failed to pick them.
    I don't think it's that strange. He never even brought Walcott on and it was clear they could've used another option. Hate is not a rare word in football and isn't meant to be completely serous.
    So he made a mistake in your and others opinion......I have just said I accept that....the strange thing is that Jessie took it as a slight against us, which is what I’m referring to.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Losing 6 - 1 at home to Leeds.

I absolutely despised that Leeds team. They were absolute dirt. Complete filth of a football team.

To see us capitulate to them made me shake with anger. I remember when the fifth goal went in, I screamed so loud that the next five rows turned round to see who made that noise, and a stranger asked me if I was OK.
    It would be great to retrieve Mick Collins match report for the OS. It was grimly, brilliantly funny, the written equivalent of your scream. He was fired for it....
  • Options
    Did Bent suffer because he was at Charlton and not high profile? Many English players have suffered the same fate. It's only under Southgate that we now have players from all clubs playing regularly. Before, it was all top 4 clubs or high profile players. Even if the players were crap.

Not strange. 
  • Options
    Agree with many others, including @SoundAsa£ Coventry one. I was a little kid and could not believe what I was watching. Cynical was the word, chillingly so, but I didn't know the word then.

I give you Chelsea at home, first game of the season, Ranieri's reign. Konch started in midfield and looked good. In the 26th minute, with his eye on the ball all the time he challenged for a high ball in midfield. The ref sent him off for an 'elbow'. The ref was the sidekick of Graham Poll, the one who made some video with Poll dubbing themselves the 'hard man referees'. Tells you all you need to know. I was so pissed off I managed to get on to 606 to rant about it. The thing is that I think it got to Konch. he of course got a three match ban and lost confidence in his ability to play in that role, which was a pity, I thought it was a good idea from Curbs, who never quite trusted him at left back.
    We were 1-0 up as well werent we that day?

Sending off allowed Chelsea back into it which they won 2-1 (?)
    Turns out it was 3-2. Konch actually scored the first, then sent off,  Rufus put us further ahead, Zola pulled one back on 43, but we were still winning until 84 when Cole equalised soon after coming on, and Lampard got the winner on 89. It was a steaming hot day and we had played 74 minutes with ten men. We appealed  the red, apparently, and we all know the result when we do that...
  • Options
    Agree with many others, including @SoundAsa£ Coventry one. I was a little kid and could not believe what I was watching. Cynical was the word, chillingly so, but I didn't know the word then.

I give you Chelsea at home, first game of the season, Ranieri's reign. Konch started in midfield and looked good. In the 26th minute, with his eye on the ball all the time he challenged for a high ball in midfield. The ref sent him off for an 'elbow'. The ref was the sidekick of Graham Poll, the one who made some video with Poll dubbing themselves the 'hard man referees'. Tells you all you need to know. I was so pissed off I managed to get on to 606 to rant about it. The thing is that I think it got to Konch. he of course got a three match ban and lost confidence in his ability to play in that role, which was a pity, I thought it was a good idea from Curbs, who never quite trusted him at left back.
    We were 1-0 up as well werent we that day?

Sending off allowed Chelsea back into it which they won 2-1 (?)
    Turns out it was 3-2. Konch actually scored the first, then sent off,  Rufus put us further ahead, Zola pulled one back on 43, but we were still winning until 84 when Cole equalised soon after coming on, and Lampard got the winner on 89. It was a steaming hot day and we had played 74 minutes with ten men. We appealed  the red, apparently, and we all know the result when we do that...
    It was mental hot; I think it was over 100 degrees pitch side. A Sky pundit, can't remember who, described it as the 'rankest Chelsea win you'll ever see.'
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chunes said:
    Did Bent suffer because he was at Charlton and not high profile? Many English players have suffered the same fate. It's only under Southgate that we now have players from all clubs playing regularly. Before, it was all top 4 clubs or high profile players. Even if the players were crap.

Not strange. 
    You put a question mark at the end of your first sentence as if you aren’t that sure yourself and rightly so.....it’s a matter of opinion.
    When it comes to picking an international squad there will always be disappointed  players and fans.....we were all disappointed that Darren wasn’t chosen and hindsight as a manager (in any sport), will always be a curse waiting to kick you in the arse.
    Have you considered that if Darren had been chosen instead of Walcott there would have been many more thousands of disappointed Gooners (given their fan base), than Addicks.
  • Options
    The abject performance at Northampton the other season, no heart, no bottle, and no effort, hated the team that day, and the abuse they got at the end was fully justified IMO 
  • Options
    The Fulham free kick 
  • Options
    Plenty more come to mind but ,along with my previous post,the game at Anfield when we were clean through on goal only to have the game stopped and be given a free kick on the half way line.I think Durso was the ref,it finished 3-3 and I spoke to some Liverpool lads afterwards who agreed the decision was ridiculous and that it was the luckiest point thay had got all season.