Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• I  think the format of each team playing all the others is fine. It’s the fact that there is only one game per day that is making it drag on too long. Surely the logistics could be worked out so that there are at least two games per day at northern/southern venues. I can’t see that the revenue would be all that badly effected and the group stage could be gotten through in two to three weeks. 
  • I  think the format of each team playing all the others is fine. It’s the fact that there is only one game per day that is making it drag on too long. Surely the logistics could be worked out so that there are at least two games per day at northern/southern venues. I can’t see that the revenue would be all that badly effected and the group stage could be gotten through in two to three weeks. 
    I think the longevity of a competition is a fair point. However, I don't get the concept that these matches of no ultimate consequence are meaningless and not enjoyable.

Do people who have bought tickets to watch the game really wish they hadn't? Yes some teams might rest players but England haven't today and we there's absolutely no way we aren't making the last four and we've resisted the temptation to do so.  Even if players are rested, teams still have to bring in someone of quality by virtue of the small nature of the squads. 

Equally, had Morgan smashed his 17 6s in a "dead rubber" would people remember the game for his performance or the fact that the result was meaningless? 
  • SL win the toss and choose to bat first. Weather looks good.
    I think the longevity of a competition is a fair point. However, I don't get the concept that these matches of no ultimate consequence are meaningless and not enjoyable.

Do people who have bought tickets to watch the game really wish they hadn't? Yes some teams might rest players but England haven't today and we there's absolutely no way we aren't making the last four and we've resisted the temptation to do so.  Even if players are rested, teams still have to bring in someone of quality by virtue of the small nature of the squads. 

Equally, had Morgan smashed his 17 6s in a "dead rubber" would people remember the game for his performance or the fact that the result was meaningless? 
    The major problem with this WC is that the Saffers have been rubbish! You'd have expected them to be challenging for the top 4 places, and thus keeping some tension as to who qualifies. Instead we have a top 4 who are well clear of the rest of the teams, indeed England's loss against Pakistan is so far the only match where a top 4 team has lost to one of the other sides
  • SL win the toss and choose to bat first. Weather looks good.
    3-2!

The major problem with this WC is that the Saffers have been rubbish! You'd have expected them to be challenging for the top 4 places, and thus keeping some tension as to who qualifies. Instead we have a top 4 who are well clear of the rest of the teams, indeed England's loss against Pakistan is so far the only match where a top 4 team has lost to one of the other sides
    Plus I thought the WI had a chance if Gayle scored a couple of hundreds and the bowling attack were as fierce as they looked pre WC.
  • 133 -5. 2 in 2 for Rashid. On a hat trick.
  • edited June 2019
    I wonder what we'll do in our last 3 games, which are all against the top sides.

Do we go full strength and try to keep momentum going, or do we rest some key players so they're fresh for the semi final?

Although having said that our last match is 3 July, and the semi's are not until 9th and 11th, so plenty of time to rest anyway.
  • I wonder what we'll do in our last 3 games, which are all against the top sides.

Do we go full strength and try to keep momentum going, or do we rest some key players so they're fresh for the semi final?

Although having said that our last match is 3 July, and the semi's are not until 9th and 11th, so plenty of time to rest anyway.
    We'd better play a full strength team for the Aussies on Tuesday (we're going).
    Mind you rain is now being forecast for the morning.
  • Jason Roy said he should be fit for Australia too
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder what we'll do in our last 3 games, which are all against the top sides.

The one danger of not playing your squad players during the group phase, is that if they're needed for the knockout phase they won't have played for a month and might be rusty. Roy's absence is certainly helpful in getting some match time for Vince

A shame perhaps that we don't have an easier match in our last 3 games where we could rest players more comfortably

The one danger of not playing your squad players during the group phase, is that if they're needed for the knockout phase they won't have played for a month and might be rusty. Roy's absence is certainly helpful in getting some match time for Vince

A shame perhaps that we don't have an easier match in our last 3 games where we could rest players more comfortably
    There’s also the calculation about where you’d prefer to finish in the group to get the best semi draw/venue. I always believe that you should just set out to win every match come what may but it must come into the thinking somewhere. 
  • Hopefully get drawn at home.
  • Root just bowled an over of absolute pies, and Sri Lanka scored...4 off it
  • MrOneLung said:
    Hopefully get drawn at home.
    Won't matter where we get drawn if it's India in the semi final as they'll still have about 80% of the crowd.
  • What a limp batting performance
  • SL finish on 232-9.
  • Bairstow out to his first ball.

England 1-1
  • edited June 2019
    Wish they’d stop calling Malinga’s bowling ‘unique’. 
    It’s fecking cheating & it drives me mad!!!

Sooner he retires the better. 
  • Crying 'ILLEGAL' when an uppity Sri Lankan forgets his lowly station and does well with an unconventional method is a game as old as...Sri Lanka's full ICC membership
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Crying 'ILLEGAL' when an uppity Sri Lankan forgets his lowly station and does well with an unconventional method is a game as old as...Sri Lanka's full ICC membership
    Mmmmm, call me old fashioned but I’d be saying the same if he played for England. 
    Who he plays for is immaterial. 
  • Wish they’d stop calling Malinga’s bowling ‘unique’. 

Amuses me when people call Malingas bowling action 'cheating '. 
    Dont you think if it was illegal that he would have been pulled up a long time ago? 
    Also dont they realise his action is actually to his detriment because it comes from a much lower trajectory?! 
  • Thank god Roy isn’t out for the tournament. We’d be finished.
  • Ok so I only watch cricket here and there and mainly England, can you lot with more knowledge tell me, who you think is the best in the world and where we would rank: Eg. England batting (1st), I assume we have the most explosive and best batting line up

Bowling?

Fielding?

I know we are ranked number 1 but bowling doesn't feel like we have the best out there, although we have a strong line up and when they click.

• Wish they’d stop calling Malinga’s bowling ‘unique’. 

Amuses me when people call Malingas bowling action 'cheating '. 
    Dont you think if it was illegal that he would have been pulled up a long time ago? 
    Also dont they realise his action is actually to his detriment because it comes from a much lower trajectory?! 
    They’ve tried. 
    Had it analysed from all angles. 
    Apparently, as explained very well by Mikey on comms, it falls between the 15% of what’s allowed. 
    As for it being detrimental to him, not as much as it’s detrimental to the batsmen imo. 
    I’m still allowed to have the opinion that it’s just not cricket. Not bothered if I’m the only one who thinks it. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Thank god Roy isn’t out for the tournament. We’d be finished.
    To be fair to Vince he's very consistent...

Apologies for tempting fate!
  • Makes a change to see us getting bogged down and not slogging it everywhere and racing along at 7 an over.

Vince doesn't need match time. He needs to change his technique.
  • 91-3  25 overs SL were 114-3 at same stage. Game on.