Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Additionally,  VAR failed to overturn the penalty given to Coventry - should never have gone to extra time in first place. 
    So we agree that VAR does not work then 👍🏼
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I reckon 80% of those complaining about the decision on here, would have just said ‘Ha ha, never mind’ if it had been Man Utd who had the goal disallowed and then lost on penalties. 
    *100%
  • Options
    edited April 22
    MrOneLung said:
    I reckon 80% of those complaining about the decision on here, would have just said ‘Ha ha, never mind’ if it had been Man Utd who had the goal disallowed and then lost on penalties. 
    Yes, but it wouldn't alter my thoughts on the use of VAR. I assumed it to be like using DRS in cricket, there to rule out obvious errors of judgement by officials. A player standing with his big toenail offside isn't an obvious error imo. Personally I'd scrap VAR altogether in football, only using film footage retrospectively to penalise diving cheats.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Additionally,  VAR failed to overturn the penalty given to Coventry - should never have gone to extra time in first place. 
    Although that is my subjective opinion on the penalty, others may feel otherwise. 

With ball going over the line or attacker being offside, it yes or no. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Although that is my subjective opinion on the penalty, others may feel otherwise. 

Genuine question - do you think that the on field decision re the offside was a clear and obvious error?
  • Options
    The Lino has given the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. 
    He is bang in line. 
    We may as well abolish Lino if we continue with Var. 

I don’t like  , then again I like watch8ng live football at the game ….

For me. , over a season , decisions balance out.
  • Options
    VAR is killing football, IMHO. We are stuck with it now, as we are stuck with FIFA adding more and more competitions for the bigger clubs and internationals. I want us to get promoted to the Championship but am really not that bothered about getting back in to the Premier League, although I understand that might be the only way to ensure financial survival. Still wondering when the whole bubble is going to burst, it just can't go on forever like it is now.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited April 22
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Genuine question - do you think that the on field decision re the offside was a clear and obvious error?
    I may be wrong but they check all goals for offside right, so saying that VAR only steps in when there is a clear and obvious error is not true. They are using VAR to make all offside calls after a goal, of course that yesterday was as tight as could be. I like in rugby where the ref makes every decision, then if it’s close he will ask the video ref to look at it but his on field decision stands if the video can’t definitively prove he made a mistake. Personally I don’t think the video yesterday was definitive and I still maintain the technology on show cannot pick up an offside where you’re talking in mm. Blurry picture from a long distance and thick red and blue lines is not the height of accurate technology that you have for the goal line camera.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    If the penalty isn't given, Coventry may have gone on to score two more in the remainder of injury time...  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If decisions are to be made  relating to millimetres then you have to judge EXACTLY when the ball is played. Now, is the ball played when the boot touches the ball or milliseconds later when it moves ?
    Also, would the player have been offside if he had smaller feet ?
    Offside was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's been taken too far in my opinion.
    A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
    • interfering with an opponent by:
      • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
      • challenging an opponent for the ball or
      • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
      • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

• Options
    Chizz said:
    If decisions are to be made  relating to millimetres then you have to judge EXACTLY when the ball is played. Now, is the ball played when the boot touches the ball or milliseconds later when it moves ?
    Offside was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's been taken too far in my opinion.
    A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
      • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
      • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
      • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Agree…..but can VAR determine when that is….without making a clear and obvious error…….obviously?!?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Agree…..but can VAR determine when that is….without making a clear and obvious error…….obviously?!?
    I was answering the question posted by @MikeBaileysFanClub with a factual answer.  With regards to whether VAR can determine when that is, it can certainly determine it with much, much better accuracy than an Assistant Referee who will not be in line with the player and who will be concentrating on two, simultaneous events in different parts of the pitch.  Will VAR get that right every time?  Possbly not.  Can it be proven wrong?  No.  Will it be substantially more accurate than an Assistant Referee?  Of course.  
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Do away with the lines - If you are resorting to using lines, then it isn't clear and obvious.

VAR is making the game sterile 
    You mean... make it less accurate? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:
    Do away with the lines - If you are resorting to using lines, then it isn't clear and obvious.

At the moment we are getting more accurate bad decisions, so yes. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

But your making the assumption that every decision is going to be the same. Whats clear and obvious to you, isnt going to C&O to a Liverpool fan for example, because its so ambiguous

Regardless of what happens, using VAR or not... there are still going to be those who are unhappy when decisions going against them - Could be argued that we got into this VAR mess, because people were getting fed up with the mistakes on the field so a solution had to be found... e.g. What we've got now.

The one aspect no one even considered was the fact that there are too many Grey rules in the Sport, its a game of opinions, and unless we can teach robots to officiate games perfectly and without error, there will always the element of Human Error, regardless of where the referee is from.

I bet as well, there would have been the exact same type of outrage had this been a decade ago, with the Coventry player, a yard onside and the linesman making the wrong call by raising his flag.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:

And would it be better if we went back to having more wrong decisions? 
  • Options
    The 'magic' of the FA Cup all but left the building yesterday. 

Thanks for the image. Where’s the offside? They’re in line, surely?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Maybe but imo a clear shove on a defender  using the palms of your hands as Mcguire did should be a penalty, so Coventry should have had a penalty earlier anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 22
    now a 'controversy' over the VAR official for the Everton/Forest game .. claims that as a Luton Town fan he was biased against Forest and basically cheated Forest out  of possibly three penalties.
    The game is more and more being being decided off the pitch, point deductions, threatened legal actions over 'bias' and 'cheating', perhaps the time has come to abandon VAR (it definitely WILL NOT happen)
    Also criticism of referees by managers and owners is now commonplace, criticism based on the ability to instantly see replays on screens owned by the manger/team 'official' sitting pitchside.
    The game today is fast, furious and full of cheating players, the referee is asked to make instant decisions affecting the careers of players and managers, club's future finances, league positions etc etc . It is a heavy responsibility and referees deserve more respect and consideration.
    This is surely why VAR was introduced, instead it too often seems to cause as much controversy as it solves We live in litigious times where, as said, off field decisions over (e.g.) drug taking, gambling, sexuality, bias and club finances decide sporting results .. ENOUGH .. BUT Pandora's box is open wide and lawyers will in future have as much say in sports results as on field referees and any number of VAR/TV cameras
  • Options
    Whatever way you look at it. Forest were dicked out of 3 penalties 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:

It would be better if I could leap up and celebrate a goal after a nanoseconds glance at the linesman, yes. In our league we suffer from wrong decisions all the time, I get miffed (Cambridge "penalty") I get over it. 

Like I said, it's not maths its a sport, players and managers make mistakes all the time, that doesn't spoil the enjoyment ( apart from when one of ours misses a sitter or passes the ball to an attacker...  ;)  ).  
  • Options
    At least 2…..
  • Options
    At least 2…..
    Definitely. Everton are the much bigger team and they got the decisions. I don’t know the answer but I don’t really blame Forest for there outburst. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:
    Chizz said:
    cafc999 said:

Has VAR erradicated bad decisions? No it hasn't.