Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    I love Jonny, he's clearly a talented player but its pathetic he's not scored for us. What Bowyer says is so true
  • Options
    His words are much neater than those used towards Bonne at the end of last season, under pressure. It should trigger JW into delivering more. Come on JW!
  • Options
    Genuinely don't see what the fuss is most of the time, seems to draw a lot of fouls but doesn't score goals and doesn't get many assists either. Morgan, Oztumer, Aneke all play in similar positions and if we're looking at Maddison too then that suggests Bowyer is running out of patience. I hope for his sake he turns it around but I'm not holding out
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Well thought out post, Sage. Some useful insight there. Thanks.

• Options
    With the thinnest of squads there can be no excess baggage. He needs to be on point or let go, on loan maybe. 
  • Options
    Tough on Jonny, not sure if it's the right choice. We've seen that Jonny's confidence can easily be knocked and he likes to feel part of a family. Publicly criticising him and hauling him off early might not be the best plan, but maybe it will light a fire under him. We'll see
     Hard to argue with Bowyer though.

He constantly gets talked up as being a championship player. He plays in a position where he should be getting 10-15 goals a season. It's been the story of his career. Terrifies defenders to death with absolutely zero end product.
    Posted on the match thread.............

On the day he signed for us from Palace JW said that he doesnt score goals. Can't see why everyone is now so surprised.

And if you say that LB is coaching him now to do so then LB cant be much of a coach. He's been working with him for 18 months & still he hasn't scored. 
  • Options
    Bowyer says it's not a fitness thing, but Williams never seems to last 90 minutes or complete a run of games.
    I think it makes a big difference, being a fixture in the team, rather than flitting in and out, trying desperately to make in impact in the limited time you have on the pitch.
    I'd like to judge him, once he's played 6-8 consecutive games, I think that would be fairer and more accurate.
  • Options
    Tough on Jonny, not sure if it's the right choice. We've seen that Jonny's confidence can easily be knocked and he likes to feel part of a family. Publicly criticising him and hauling him off early might not be the best plan, but maybe it will light a fire under him. We'll see
     Hard to argue with Bowyer though.

He constantly gets talked up as being a championship player. He plays in a position where he should be getting 10-15 goals a season. It's been the story of his career. Terrifies defenders to death with absolutely zero end product.
    Posted on the match thread.............

On the day he signed for us from Palace JW said that he doesnt score goals. Can't see why everyone is now so surprised.

And if you say that LB is coaching him now to do so then LB cant be much of a coach. He's been working with him for 18 months & still he hasn't scored. 
    Exactly, plus looking at his record of 4 goals in over 200 senior appearances for club and country would tell you he's never been a goalscorer. He's scored ONE GOAL since 2015!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The problem with JW is that he does not have that mental edge where he is going to push on. Anyone who's seen the Sunderland documentary will have noted that. If he was the hyper competitive type he'd probably be playing at a higher level. He seems quite content as he is. "Coasting" as someone else aptly put it on another thread.

Read the match threads when LB is bringing JW off the bench. What do people say? "Good move, should help us win some free kicks and take the pressure off." Or if we're  losing, it's the same, "Should help us win some set pieces." That's all we've come to expect from JW. 

Fact is he needs to do a lot more. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Runs around in circles. Very ineffective , shame.
  • Options
    Love Jonny but Lee is right. He should be contributing a lot more. Same can be said about Oz tho. I fully expect Williams to start Saturday and bag.

• Options
    Played his best football when our team was set with Cullen behind him, and he was chief creator with Connor and had Taylor up top. As a triangle they knew there would be an end product of goals and their confidence in play showed this. 

JW knows he doesn't score goals and that our strikers won't take each chance he busts a gut to create, so instead it's clear he's just doing bits here and there (dribbles where shouldn't be and fouls).
  • Options
    No end product. Well, apart from his assists. 

As has been said, looking at his history and listening to the man's own words he's not a goal scorer, it shouldn't be such a shock. As a team that struggles to create chances and with no real midfield 'flair' I'd rather have Williams in it than out.

With Gilbey injured, our options are limited to:

Doughty - should get a few assists and goals
    Levitt - sounded promising, but a bit much to ask a 19 year old playing his first season to feed our attack to promotion.
    Oztumer - meh
    JFC - going backwards, no literally, now a wing back.
    Watson - still unsure of his playing style
    Aneke -  clearly he's run over a few black cats and smashed every mirror he sees, just when he gets going has a set back. Should contribute IF he can make it on the pitch.
    Pratley - highly unlikely he's going to turn into Pirlo and start pinging beautiful balls from deep.
    Morgan - closest player to Williams, which also includes getting subbed on and off.

If he can't, no, if he won't score...stick him in the middle and not in the attacking third. Not AM not wide left or right. One side of Pratley in the 3, 1 of 2 in the diamond/ back 3 formations.

Well, at least until Gilbey's back/ a half decent box to box comes in...

• Options
    His goal scoring record is abysmal. He has skill so it surprises me that he is not better at taking free kicks. He earns enough of them, and if he was able to punish teams he would not get fouled as much, get more scoring opportunities and less injuries.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Interesting approach from Bowyer, assume it was designed to get a (positive) reaction from Williams when other methods have failed.

I have to say the goal scoring thing doesn’t bother me too much, I think he brings a lot and is the most talented player in our squad (maybe in the league?). I can’t help think that picking him intermittently and giving him a few
    minutes off the bench here and there isn’t the right approach to encourage consistency, but Bowyer knows far better than I. 
  • Options
    Williams is a good player, but his skill is in his ability to trip over players legs, easing pressure and giving us dead ball opportunities. 

He got 5 assists last season from 26 appearances, which is actually okay.  The season before in League 1 he managed just 2. He has zero goals. For me it seems quite easy to believe another CAM player might have at least fluked a goal along with those assists... 

He in his entire career only has 17 assists and 4 goals from 186 games... that's crap for CAM. 
  • Options
    It's like he doesn't shoot or hit the ball long knowing his hamstrings will fall off perhaps?! 

A career in futsal awaits!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Don't think Lee would be saying this if Thomas hadn't taken over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I wouldn't see it totally as clear cut as that. It must hinder us to a degree as it is designed to create a more level playing field, but there is still business that can be done and we can't be outbid by any of our direct rivals.

If we look at the senior players we have, I think most League One teams wouldn't say no.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    His goal scoring record is abysmal. He has skill so it surprises me that he is not better at taking free kicks. He earns enough of them, and if he was able to punish teams he would not get fouled as much, get more scoring opportunities and less injuries.
    It is. However it always has been. Bowyer knew that when he signed him up.....not once but twice. He doesn’t really get in enough goal scoring positions - off the top of my head I can only think of one at Birmingham away last season (but there must have been more). 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He got 5 assists last season from 26 appearances, which is actually okay. 

The season before in League 1 he managed just 2. He has zero goals. For me it seems quite easy to believe another CAM player might have at least fluked a goal along with those assists... 

Although those 5 assists were in the first half-dozen or so games of the season, and was a good reason the team made the brilliant start  - he  then got injured for a long period soon after.
    No assists from his return until the end of the season though.

Mind you that's just bare statistics - and they usually only tell part of the story.

Reading between the lines, we did see mny situations where Jonny played a key role in goals scored: typically he provided the assist for the assist.
    No stats give credit for that - but those goalscoring chances wouldn't have been created without his vital contribution.

Another thing, stats only show assists for goals actually scored - but not those where goalscoring chances were created but missed.
    In effect, Jonny's assist record can also depend on the efficiency of team mates actually converting their chances.

Statistics, eh? "There are three kinds of lieslies, damned lies, and statistics."

None of the above takes away from the fact that Williams' manager is frustrated by aspects of his game.
    If that's been flagged up, Jonny will know it's up to him.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I think he unsettles the midfield of opponents when he nips in a draws fouls. We need to play a bit higher and maybe he will do this in the penalty area/danger areas more. I am not a fan of keeping possession if you pass up opportunities to go forwards and go back because it is an easier option. This is not that risky in League One, where you can get the ball back more easily. Maybe when the squad improves we will be a bit more offensive minded. if so, I think this will help Williams a lot.
  • Options
    Great post @Sage.

I remember last season at Reading away Williams was absolutely brilliant, but the team he was in at that time was a lot better. 

Hopefully Bowyer can do another magic rebuild of a new team and Williams can slot in as well as he did before. 
  • Options
    We seem to have a number of players in their final year, who all have something to prove really. If any of Williams, JFC, Oztumer, Aneke were to leave in the next 2 weeks, I don't think Bowyer would be too upset
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Maddison signing could make Williams more important to the team. At last we have a player who can score from one.
  • Options
    Eddie Jones talks about players who are starters and finishers. I see Williams as a finisher (ironically), a player who can come on and give us control in the latter stages of a game. 
  • Options
    Eddie Jones talks about players who are starters and finishers. I see Williams as a finisher (ironically), a player who can come on and give us control in the latter stages of a game. 
    A good point. It is a long season and a player as good as Williams is very likely to have an important part to play in it at some point.