Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    My god, what's happened 
    I definitely do not fawn over Williams like some people, but he was being played as a left winger, hugging the touchline, with the 2 CMs sitting deep when he first came on. 

You can see his talent with the ball at his feet and various options around him to pass to. We are certainly not playing to his strengths at the moment. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    My god, what's happened 
    I definitely do not fawn over Williams like some people, but he was being played as a left winger, hugging the touchline, with the 2 CMs sitting deep when he first came on. 

You can see his talent with the ball at his feet and various options around him to pass to. We are certainly not playing to his strengths at the moment. 
    He certainly looked more comfortable and more effective, when he was switched to the '10 position' late on.

• Options
    Playing so deep, he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting on the scoresheet, or even getting anywhere near the box before getting hacked down.
    I really feel that Bowyer isn't helping him ATM, or getting the best out of him. Maybe things will change when we get another striker in and the team as a whole can start playing higher up the pitch.

• Options
    Any chance he can leave on a free transfer and enjoy an improved contract at another club...like Millwall or Wycombe (Wycombe being nearer Wales) and free up a space for a player that sometimes has an end product?
    Drawing fouls seems to be his main attribute. I would prefer a player with a different main attribute.
  • Options
    It'd be good being a professional footballer if he could play 90 minutes every now and then
  • Options
    ads said:
    It'd be good being a professional footballer if he could play 90 minutes every now and then
    As a Welsh International I'd like to think he could waltz this division.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It's curious. Whenever he is on the bench, I want him on the pitch. Whenever he is on the pitch, I want him on the bench.
    That is very much what I think as well. 
  • Options
    Weird that he hasn't started a league match for us this season in the 3rd division BUT has started a competitive match for Wales

With 3 Wales matches before we play again, it'll be interesting how much game time he gets. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I seem to remember Oztumer being signed very late in last summer's transfer window - and Bowyer saying that now he'd signed Ozzy, he could rotate him with Williams.

I guess that was the plan then - as Williams rarely lasted or risked for 90 minutes, Ozzy could step in and be his 'other half' without changing the game plan.

It doesn't seem to have worked out like that though.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I seem to remember Oztumer being signed very late in last summer's transfer window - and Bowyer saying that now he'd signed Ozzy, he could rotate him with Williams.

I guess that was the plan then - as Williams rarely lasted or risked for 90 minutes, Ozzy could step in and be his 'other half' without changing the game plan.

Oztumer got signed after the transfer window closed... As there was a big: "Will he, wont he be allowed to sign" after he terminated his Bolton deal quite late
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oztumer got signed after the transfer window closed... As there was a big: "Will he, wont he be allowed to sign" after he terminated his Bolton deal quite late
    Very good, Forever. Well remembered.
    Yeah, the squad was still depleted and we were still trying to get players after the window closed - the Hemed debacle, Matthews too.

Legacy of Roland giving us a League One budget to finance a Championship squad.

• Options
    Starts for Wales tonight!
  • Options
    And yet he can't start against L1 teams.

• Options
    Oh this is going to feel weird!!
  • Options
    Wales, Tunbridge Wells, Charlton  ;)
  • Options

Because he's not doing what Bowyer wants him to do.

And Wales no doubt have set up the team tonight to accommodate Williams.

• Options
    He's also only got to fight off competition from the likes of Matt Smith 
  • Options
    Not THE Matt Smith?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Not THE Matt Smith?

Yup the very same lad who came on for us at Forest last year... Ran the ball out of play twice and got booked - Got sent back to Man City after the restart as even we preferred having one less player instead using him 
  • Options
    Yay we got a mention 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I'm not really sure what this means.
    Are you saying an International team playing against England at Wembley would set up their team around one player that can't even start a game against Lincoln. Is he that good that Wales would accommodate that? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oggy Red said:

Are you saying an International team playing against England at Wembley would set up their team around one player that can't even start a game against Lincoln. Is he that good that Wales would accommodate that? 
    Or is it because Wales dont have anyone remotely better and can afford to have him in the team because they dont need him to be the one creating / taking chances - Whats to say they're setting their team around Williams? 

Its a bit like when we had Shelvey in League One, his talent was clear but at times was a luxury player we couldn't afford to have in the team
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Or is it because Wales dont have anyone remotely better and can afford to have him in the team because they dont need him to be the one creating / taking chances

Its a bit like when we had Shelvey in League One, his talent was clear but at times was a luxury player we couldn't afford to have in the team
    I know what your saying but Jonjo created and scored goals, we ain't getting that from JW. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Or is it because Wales dont have anyone remotely better and can afford to have him in the team because they dont need him to be the one creating / taking chances

I know what your saying but Jonjo created and scored goals, we ain't getting that from JW. 
    Exactly... What are we getting from Jonny when he's on the pitch? 
  • Options
    He has been shite so far.
  • Options
    He's been tidy and won a few free-kicks. Kind of what you'd expect
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Exactly... What are we getting from Jonny when he's on the pitch? 
    F all. 
    Which is what has me pondering who is right Bowyer or Giggs.
    I really shouldn't be thinking about this during an England game lol but its so shit with no fans at Wembley 
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    He has been shite so far.
    You gave him 2/10 for the last game! To be fair I thought he was awful and gave him 4, but your opinion appears to have been...somewhat compromised. We're talking a love story akin to Thundercock and JBG here