Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathon Leko - Jan 2024: on loan at Burton (p14)

Comments

• Options
    Never really got going from the off today. But there were a few like that. He stuck at it though and his head never dropped
  • Options
    Coming back from a lay off, and many players lacked quality today. Still worked hard and closed people down, especially in the first half. 
  • Options
    Leko did ok today. Did enough to make me think he's returning to form. Not saying he should displace DJ but he's definitely providing the right level of competition. 
  • Options
    His final ball and decision making needs to improve. Sometimes chooses to shoot from an impossible angle rather than pass.
  • Options
    such a weird player can go from the sublime to the ridiculous 
  • Options
    he's a good player, blows hot and cold but just playing his way back into form / sharpness - it was the right thing to sub him but he will be vital for us this season
  • Options
    Steve Brown said we're playing at such a high tempo, he thought anyone might struggle coming into the team.
    I make him right.
  • Options
    A big end of season for him. It's not been working out for him and maybe he doesn't have a great fit in this formation. 

He needs to focus on the basics and perform them at the pace he likes to, but without the repetition. 

DJ and Leko both fit and able to play the RWB role (in L1) and Matthew's gets picked ahead of them, quite rightly too after his performance and assist. 
  • Options
    Would love him to make a name for himself but too inconsistent for me. All huff and puff with no end product and so frustrating to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not sure he’s going to get another chance to properly prove himself. Feels like he’s already spurned a couple this season whether that’s up front or in the wing back role.
  • Options
    He is much the same player we had last time. Occasionally brilliant, often frustrating. He looked sharp and confident when he first came into the team, and had a few good games on the right - in particular he was superb up a Sunderland in the wing back role, but I seem to remember him having a good game at Accrington as well, even though we lost. The injury seems to have really disrupted him though. Lost his place on the right to DJ, and now Jacko has switched the balance so the left wing back is the natural winger and the right wing back is the natural fullback. He had a couple of games up front and didn't do much, but it was in a makeshift front line, not next to Stockley, for example.

The talent is there, but he was unlucky with the timing of his injury and now is a victim of Jacko's tactical switch. Probably needs a run of games in a consistent role to get some rhythm and confidence but hard to see where that opportunity will come right now. Things can change quickly though and he;s still a player that stuff happens around. I wouldn't write him off yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Also worth noting that he is playing a Division lower than when he was last with us on loan. Can be easy to forget at times.
  • Options
    He has been awful when he has played. I was watching him taking shots in the warm up yesterday - My 2 year old daughter has a more powerful shot. 
  • Options
    I get that he most likely doesn’t want to play at wing back but I’m sure that both DJ and CBT would rather be out and out wingers yet both have at least put in the effort. 

Leko for their second yesterday lost out in a feeble attempt at a tackle then made no effort whatsoever to get back. 
  • Options
    Slightly interested to see where he will end up next season. Out of contract at Birmingham and cannot see many people clubs lining up to take him. Reckon he will be in the non league within two years.
  • Options
    If Bowyer ever offers us a player to help out again in the future the answer would have to be no immediately, with Leko  and Aneke he’s pulled  his mate JJ’s pants right down to his ankles with these two.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Slightly interested to see where he will end up next season. Out of contract at Birmingham and cannot see many people clubs lining up to take him. Reckon he will be in the non league within two years.
    our wonderful recruitment team will earmark him as a premium signing and to ensure we get him will play Brum £100k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is what I just don't get.

Unless his injury is affecting him more than we know, if I was him I would be bursting an absolute gut to try and get a new contract, if not at Charlton than elsewhere. But his performances, with one or two exceptions, have been lackadaisical at best.

Surely we are not going to sign him and if other clubs are looking at him, then surely they are not going to be impressed either by what they have seen.

All very strange.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    This is what I just don't get.

Unless his injury is affecting him more than we know, if I was him I would be bursting an absolute gut to try and get a new contract, if not at Charlton than elsewhere. But his performances, with one or two exceptions, have been lackadaisical at best.

Surely we are not going to sign him and if other clubs are looking at him, then surely they are not going to be impressed either by what they have seen.

All very strange.
    But he’s probably arrogant (or savvy) enough to know that someone will take him no matter what. If the worst comes to worst some lower Championship/average League One club will offer him a contact in desperation right at the end of pre-season to appease fans who have been moaning that they haven’t made enough signings but are happy to take a punt on Leko,  based on a quick Wikipedia search and the viewing of a YouTube compilation put together by his agent to justify said agent’s worthless existence.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    If Bowyer ever offers us a player to help out again in the future the answer would have to be no immediately, with Leko  and Aneke he’s pulled  his mate JJ’s pants right down to his ankles with these two.
    And Tommy's because one of them cost us 300,000 to buy back after Bowyer got him on a free. If that is Bowyer helping us God help us if he seeks revenge for something. 
    paulfox said:
    And Tommy's because one of them cost us 300,000 to buy back after Bowyer got him on a free. If that is Bowyer helping us God help us if he seeks revenge for something. 
    The original poster missed off Castillo coming to us due to Bowyer as well.
  • Options
    He is hopeless get rid please.
  • Options
    He is hopeless get rid please.
    I don’t think he is even that good. 
  • Options
    Another player signed and then became useless because the formation doesn't suit him. 
  • Options
    Another player signed and then became useless because the formation doesn't suit him. 
    We’d probably all agree Leko is a winger and yet his best form of his career so far came playing as a striker alongside Taylor in Bowyer’s diamond formation.

Cullen, Gallagher as well as Taylor and an in form Williams would have helped him. He perhaps also got more space in behind and on the counter attack playing at a higher level where teams attacked us more.

Going to be interesting to see where he goes next and how he gets on.
  • Options
    But then we only got him back on loan because he completely flopped at Birmingham, so he hasn't played well since 2019
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    The original poster missed off Castillo coming to us due to Bowyer as well.
    Oh god!!, yes I did , that’s even worse 🤣🤣
  • Options
    He was useless long before our formation was decided. He is simply not good enough if we want to get promoted