Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2019/20

Comments

• Options
    I thought VAR was brought in to overturn "clear and obvious" mistakes?

Since when has some of these offside decisions been "clear and obvious"? If you're having to go down to individual pixels to determine whether someone's offside then it should be benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

Pukki's disallowed goal yesterday and Wolves' today were disgraceful decisions.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It should be 30 secs max per check, and if you can’t make a decision in that 30 seconds then you stay with the on field decision.

As for the ridiculous offside calls this weekend and all season, that is because of the offside rule, which needs looking at big time.
    When do you propose they start the clock on the 30 second timer?
    As soon as they say they’re going to check it? When else would you?
    When play is stopped maybe? And why 30 seconds? That seems an arbitrary amount of time, what if the ref needs 30.5 seconds?
    Oh ffs Callum, stop being pedantic with every argument against VAR. Do you see no fault with it at all? Your defence of it every time is growing tiresome.
    Not really - every question that I’m posing in response to everyone’s suggestions has to be thought about long and hard by IFAB. I know some of you are just here for a rant though so I suppose I won’t engage on this topic moving forward.

Bottom line is, it’s just a super computer giving us accurate information - people acting as if they think it’s just Dave making things up based off what he sees on his tele. Tens of thousands have been spent on the best technologies available in the 21st century.

People wanted correct decisions and this is the best way we have of getting them.

If you’re okay with dodgy lino decisions over what we have now then that’s fine but please don’t ever complain about a dodgy lino ever again.
    I’m for VAR. But in its current guise it just doesn’t work. Decisions taking too long, having to draw ridiculous lines which don’t take into account when the ball was actually struck, poor communication to fans in the ground etc.

Some of it is because of the laws of the game, some of it is how it has been implemented. I appreciate that if you move the offside decision to daylight then there will be an argument about what daylight is down to the mm. I appreciate that if you make it a 30 second check then someone will argue that if they had a second more they could make a decision.

However, on field refs and linos have a split second to make a decision. VAR should be used for if they miss a howler like Maradona’s or Henry’s handball, or for the whole Chamberlain/Gibbs red card shocker, not because someone is offside by a mm when they haven’t gained any advantage.

How about Fulham’s throw in that shouldn’t have been in 06 which saw them score an equaliser against us? Technically you could use VAR for that, but where does it stop? A line has to be drawn somewhere, and I agree that IFAB and PGMOL have to make a decision. But whatever they agree has to be better than what we’ve got now. And you can’t say that it’s working Callum, can you?
  • Options
    Bin dippers. 
    Fuckin hate them
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    we’re not that far away from all offsides being decided by computers in real time, tech is about 2/3 years away
    We might as well decide the whole season on the computer - a weekend binge on FIFA on the PS4 to determine the league champions, cup winners etc.

I'll then find another sport to follow ...
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It should be 30 secs max per check, and if you can’t make a decision in that 30 seconds then you stay with the on field decision.

As for the ridiculous offside calls this weekend and all season, that is because of the offside rule, which needs looking at big time.
    When play is stopped maybe? And why 30 seconds? That seems an arbitrary amount of time, what if the ref needs 30.5 seconds?
    Oh ffs Callum, stop being pedantic with every argument against VAR. Do you see no fault with it at all? Your defence of it every time is growing tiresome.
    Not really - every question that I’m posing in response to everyone’s suggestions has to be thought about long and hard by IFAB. I know some of you are just here for a rant though so I suppose I won’t engage on this topic moving forward.

Bottom line is, it’s just a super computer giving us accurate information - people acting as if they think it’s just Dave making things up based off what he sees on his tele. Tens of thousands have been spent on the best technologies available in the 21st century.

People wanted correct decisions and this is the best way we have of getting them.

If you’re okay with dodgy lino decisions over what we have now then that’s fine but please don’t ever complain about a dodgy lino ever again.
    I’m for VAR. But in its current guise it just doesn’t work. 
    In the Premier League, PGMOL and the Premier League have made a mess of the implementation in England  
  • Options
    Btw, I think Anthony Taylor performance after does decision was affected and he was poor second half. He had one on Boxing Day as well
  • Options
    Yet another VAR decision disallowing a goal, this time in the City game. Anyone who likes the technology in its current format just cannot be a fan of football
  • Options
    I thought VAR was brought in to overturn "clear and obvious" mistakes?

Since when has some of these offside decisions been "clear and obvious"? If you're having to go down to individual pixels to determine whether someone's offside then it should be benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

Pukki's disallowed goal yesterday and Wolves' today were disgraceful decisions.
    Clear and obvious never has applied to offsides since it’s a binary choice, you’re offside or not. You can’t be a “little bit” offside.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

I’m for VAR. But in its current guise it just doesn’t work. Decisions taking too long, having to draw ridiculous lines which don’t take into account when the ball was actually struck, poor communication to fans in the ground etc.

Some of it is because of the laws of the game, some of it is how it has been implemented. I appreciate that if you move the offside decision to daylight then there will be an argument about what daylight is down to the mm. I appreciate that if you make it a 30 second check then someone will argue that if they had a second more they could make a decision.

However, on field refs and linos have a split second to make a decision. VAR should be used for if they miss a howler like Maradona’s or Henry’s handball, or for the whole Chamberlain/Gibbs red card shocker, not because someone is offside by a mm when they haven’t gained any advantage.

How about Fulham’s throw in that shouldn’t have been in 06 which saw them score an equaliser against us? Technically you could use VAR for that, but where does it stop? A line has to be drawn somewhere, and I agree that IFAB and PGMOL have to make a decision. But whatever they agree has to be better than what we’ve got now. And you can’t say that it’s working Callum, can you?
    In absolute terms I think it is working, if you’re a millimetre offside it’s called as such. 

But it’s clear that that public opinion is against it. So has it been a success? I think that’s a harder question to answer in VAR’s favour.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

In absolute terms I think it is working, if you’re a millimetre offside it’s called as such. 

But it’s clear that that public opinion is against it. So has it been a success? I think that’s a harder question to answer in VAR’s favour.
    But surely that is the offside rule that is at fault. Do you agree that the offside rule needs to be looked at? Do you agree that the time taken to come to a decision is too long?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to sit next to an insufferable Liverpool fan at work. They boo the National Anthem as they see themselves as Scouse rather than English and they have an enormous victim mentality.... But for some reason I like them and want them to win the PL.  Maybe it is their compliment of English players; the fact they were at the top in the '80's when I was growing up or the fact I am a sucker for an underdog and all the other top teams have won it before.  I don't know.
  • Options
    Sure I’d be ok with a look at changing the offside rule if it can simplified. I struggle to see how that can be achieved to a level that’s better than what we have though.

Maybe if we go to feet only for offsides then we can start giving attackers the benefit of the doubt back but making that change wouldn’t have stopped the Wolves goal from earlier being called offside.
  • Options
    Used to sit next to an insufferable Liverpool fan at work. They boo the National Anthem as they see themselves as Scouse rather than English and they have an enormous victim mentality.... But for some reason I like them and want them to win the PL.  Maybe it is their compliment of English players; the fact they were at the top in the '80's when I was growing up or the fact I am a sucker for an underdog and all the other top teams have won it before.  I don't know.
    I'm the same as you I don't dislike the club just their scummy fans.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    we’re not that far away from all offsides being decided by computers in real time, tech is about 2/3 years away
    Microchips in the football and boots, scanners on the pitchside and roof on both sides which can automatically check the positions of the players on the pitch when the ball is played.  Compared with say self driving cars, such a setup would in relative terms surely be a doddle?
  • Options
    Wait, what?

A friend of mine told me recently that he hopes they win it because “It’s their turn”.
    My response was that if we’re going down that road, then there are plenty of teams ahead of Liverpool in the “whose turn is it?” stakes. I’d say 15 out of the 20 teams in the Premier league. (Or if you prefer, at least 85 out of the 92 league teams).

They may not have won the Premier League in its current format, but they’ve had more than their fair share of success (as you mentioned), and not that long ago either.
    And how you can consider them an underdog, I don’t know. Granted, Man City have been bankrolled to ridiculous levels, but Liverpool have wealthy owners who bankroll them too - they are not an underdog.
    Leicester are the only underdog in this title race and that’s looking out of reach after the recent crucial results.

The terrible thing is though, that if Liverpool fans weren’t so sickeningly entitled, whiny and obnoxiously insufferable, then a lot more people would wish them well.

I can’t see how anyone’s going to stop them this year, which is a real shame, but the tiny silver lining is that if they do throw it away from here, it’ll be the most spectacular choke in, possibly, football history. And boy, would I enjoy that.
  • Options
    We should sign up Chris Kavanagh to play in midfield for us, the way he blocked off the Sheffield player to allow City to score!
  • Options
    Both decisions were correct by the letter of the law I’m afraid.
    Exactly the law needs to be changed, if it continues as is it will kill the game.
  • Options
    Wait, what?

A friend of mine told me recently that he hopes they win it because “It’s their turn”.
    My response was that if we’re going down that road, then there are plenty of teams ahead of Liverpool in the “whose turn is it?” stakes. I’d say 15 out of the 20 teams in the Premier league. (Or if you prefer, at least 85 out of the 92 league teams).

They may not have won the Premier League in its current format, but they’ve had more than their fair share of success (as you mentioned), and not that long ago either.
    And how you can consider them an underdog, I don’t know. Granted, Man City have been bankrolled to ridiculous levels, but Liverpool have wealthy owners who bankroll them too - they are not an underdog.
    Leicester are the only underdog in this title race and that’s looking out of reach after the recent crucial results.

The terrible thing is though, that if Liverpool fans weren’t so sickeningly entitled, whiny and obnoxiously insufferable, then a lot more people would wish them well.

I can’t see how anyone’s going to stop them this year, which is a real shame, but the tiny silver lining is that if they do throw it away from here, it’ll be the most spectacular choke in, possibly, football history. And boy, would I enjoy that.
    Underdog in terms of them being the only team in the top 4 currently whom have not won the PL.  Of course, if Sheff Utd for example were within touching distance I would route for them but whilst it is essentially done now if you look at the next 3 teams who could vaguely conceivably catch them I would say Liverpool are in PL history at least the least successful and therefore underdog.
  • Options
    garfield said:
    Exactly the law needs to be changed, if it continues as is it will kill the game.
    Just give the silly little VAR men one single look at each incident. If they're not sure it's not offside  - benefit of doubt and all that.

Start giving some courtesy and respect to the people PAYING to watch who are being treated like idiots. How can players and supporters respect referees when they show no respect to anybody else.

I have VAR!

• Options
    How anyone can want the team that represents all that has gone wrong with football to win. Again. I shall never know.

Im bored off my tits of City winning. They should be no better than us - we were beating them to the championship title and pounding them 4-0 on the opening day. That’s the true order of things.

Their fans are insufferable now and forget they are in a fake position and are really a lower half prem / top half champ club.

Liverpool away is the only time another team has made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when YNWA plays as the teams come out.

Forget the city and locals - as a club I would rather we can relive the 80s when football was pure and City are pushed back in their box
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wait, what?

Sounding a bit Keeganesk.
  • Options
    garfield said:
    Just give the silly little VAR men one single look at each incident. If they're not sure it's not offside  - benefit of doubt and all that.

Start giving some courtesy and respect to the people PAYING to watch who are being treated like idiots. How can players and supporters respect referees when they show no respect to anybody else.

I have VAR!

What sort of things do you use it for? Whether you've scored and the like?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    There's an obvious 'umpire's call' way to settle this - a thick line across the pitch for both players' entire profiles - if attacker ahead but profiles overlapping stay with original decision, if defender ahead onside, if daylight offside. That fucking simple 
    What if the attackers thick line is a millimetre ahead of the defenders thick line? Should we give them offside? We’re back to the same conundrum no matter how you slice it.
    Well that would mean their entire body is ahead of the defender's entire body, which is obviously offside ffs
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Wait, what?

Sounding a bit Keeganesk.
    Sorry, I can’t hear you under these massive headphones.
  • Options
    Wait, what?

Underdog in terms of them being the only team in the top 4 currently whom have not won the PL.  Of course, if Sheff Utd for example were within touching distance I would route for them but whilst it is essentially done now if you look at the next 3 teams who could vaguely conceivably catch them I would say Liverpool are in PL history at least the least successful and therefore underdog.
    Sorry, but separating the PL and the old league structure like that makes no sense. By doing that you’re basically saying that Liverpool are a less successful club than Leicester and Blackburn, which is patently nonsense.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

But they're not using the best technology available, if it's not a live sky game the frame rate is shite.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    There's an obvious 'umpire's call' way to settle this - a thick line across the pitch for both players' entire profiles - if attacker ahead but profiles overlapping stay with original decision, if defender ahead onside, if daylight offside. That fucking simple 
    What if the attackers thick line is a millimetre ahead of the defenders thick line? Should we give them offside? We’re back to the same conundrum no matter how you slice it.
    Well that would mean their entire body is ahead of the defender's entire body, which is obviously offside ffs
    You’ve missed my point. I understand your concept but what I’m saying is you would still have people arguing that there’s only millimetres gap between them and that’s not what VAR is for and it’s ruining the game.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

But they're not using the best technology available, if it's not a live sky game the frame rate is shite.
    Source?

I find that hard to believe. All decisions are being made at the same location so why would they use more precise tech just because a game is on Sky?
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Their probably getting a direct feed of the broadcast straight to Stockley Park, which is 50fps. Believe they also have access to the Goal line tech cameras which go at 500fps
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Source?

I find that hard to believe. All decisions are being made at the same location so why would they use more precise tech just because a game is on Sky?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

Offside: Swarbrick said the one-pixel lines used by VAR were magnified for TV broadcast which could make decisions seem more marginal than they are. "We are held by the laws of the game. Once we have made that decision with the lines, there's no interpretation, no tolerance band. It's either onside or offside."