Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Rossman92 said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Fully expect Bows to lay into them at Full-time
    Full expect him not to. What did the players do wrong that deserved being layed into for?
    While conceding from a long ball in the 98th is just shit, they don't. Sorry mate I'm just pissed off
    I understand that. But imagine you are a player, who has run his socks off in the pissing rain for 90 minutes after we had to make 2 early subs due to injuries. You've just narrowly lost and competed against a team expected to finish near the top of the table, in a league where your team was fully expected to finish bottom.

Furthermore you're actually only a few points off the top of the table, and week in week out you've been running your socks off and running through walls for the manager. Completely defying peoples expectations.

Then you narrowly lose this game, and the first thing your manager does is give you the hairdryer treatment?  How would that make you feel?

Fortunately Bowyer has earned the respect of his players and created that team spirit by being level headed and considered in the way he talks to players.
    I talk some nonsense sometimes. Well said mate. Can't fault their effort, just an unlucky night no matter how you slice it
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Personally think this one is on Bowyer. Wrong sub was made. 

If we needed another big body in there it should have been Sarr for Leko.

Hopefully we'll nick a win Saturday to make up for it, otherwise it'll be a very, very poor run of form we're in.

This is a joke right.

Beating Leeds and Derby and drawing to Fulham in our last 5 games is hardly a very poor run of form, and noone would have believed we would have got 7 points from those games before the season started
    Dont want to drop too many points though else we can end up in a rut like our first Premier League season

That happens and we lose confidence then we could easily be dragged into a relegation battle
  • PWR.

Lick the wounds yes, but no feeling sorry for ourselves because Saturday is going to be a hell of a challenge.
    It was an eventful game all right, with a sickening finish as these things always are, but still we showed that we are able to compete at this level.
    There are loads of maybe this and maybe that from the game but football can be cruel and we all know that, and maybe sometime later this season we will inflict the same kind of blow to another team.
    I really don't feel like being critical, because there are no major lessons to be learned from that defeat, but at the same time it is a learning experience for all of us about how this division demands that you go and you go again, and you have to be tough to survive.
    The problem going forward now is fatigue and time to prepare. No Field or Leko, and probably no JFC, Lyle, Matthews, Williams, Purrington, and for Cullen, and Gallagher and others their bodies and resolve is being tested to the limits.
    Bowyer has probably the toughest couple of days he has had so far at Charlton coming up, and it is times like these one realises why a squad is needed, and those who have to step up are valuable even if they have been out of the side. I would say Lapslie is one of those needed, because he might help to fool West Brom that there is more energy in the whole Charlton team than there really is right now!
    I feel for and respect the fans now trekking home after that, but an away defeat is only one point lost in the bigger picture which remains survival.
    Starting at The Hawthorns where the worst case scenario is:

Phillips.
    Osilija Lockyer Sarr Solly at the back.
    Bonne up front.
    And the midfield depends who has the legs and the right mindset, you have to pick five more from:
    Gallagher, Cullen, Pratley, Kyal, Lapslie, Aneke, Oztumer.

Others will be Pearce, Amos/Maynard Brewer, presumably Hemed, Davison and for the match day squad someone like Ben Dempsey will have to be involved.

Time to roll up the sleeves and do the muck and bullets stuff.
  • I blame my 2 younger kids.....

Youngest came into the room just 10 secs before they equalised. He's been playing Fortnite in his room for the previous 2 hours......

Then the middle one popped into the room just after they went down to 10 men.....left with the words.."hope you dont lose..."

Kids......Grrr
  • I blame my 2 younger kids.....

Youngest came into the room just 10 secs before they equalised. He's been playing Fortnite in his room for the previous 2 hours......

Then the middle one popped into the room just after they went down to 10 men.....left with the words.."hope you dont lose..."

Kids......Grrr
    Surely gotta ground them for 2 weeks minimum
  • Sponsored links:

• Only a bit pissed off, Great for the first 50 mins, garbage for the rest. Only need to stay up, will do that at a canter. Lovely team, excellent coaches.
  • Just got back to my hotel. Absolutely gutted! 

Lads battled well but tired towards the end with the 2 early subs bot surprised. 

All the injury’s coming in time for millwall.

bonne is on firer him a Taylor together will be like grant and Lyle last season I feel with both getting goals. 

• Is our training regime taking its toll on players ?
  • We 100% deserved to go home with at least one point.
    Bristol are not a great side and are bashers.
    they were fortune tonight.

And if Bow get a three match touch line ban for speaking honestly to very poor standard REF,
    That Scumbag Johnson should be Barred for life.
    his behaviour tonight was a disgrace!!

• We were Robbed tonight and deserved a plate.
    The upside is Another Goal for Bonne 👍
    and Taylor due back soon, we are only 1 point off top 6 and we have a great great manager 👍
    Things have been far worse!!
  • Sponsored links:

• According to bbc stats they had 31 shots to our 15 of which 8 on target to our 5 
    a draw would have been fair but they deserved it more than us 
    hence our keeper was outstanding and I’m not sure if theirs is good or not ! 

• At the game. Gutted

A draw would have been a fair result as Brizzle had a lot of shots in the second half. The first half injuries massively affected our ability to manage the game, but I was surprised at the Aneke substitution which really opened up midfield when we were trying to close out the game.

Two very poor goals to concede, both scored in a similar position between Lockyer and Oshilaja, not sure who was at fault with the marking.

Bonne was excellent, my MOM. Thought Leko was ineffective. Kayal looked good
  • How could anyone accuse the team of not trying?! We were very good for 70 minutes!!
  • Didn't deserve to lose but didn't deserve to win. We sat off them too much at the end and didn't deal with their relentless balls into the box well enough at all. Think Bowyer got his sub wrong in not bringing on Sarr.

Kayal looked decent I thought and will only get better once he gets fully match sharp. Bonne really starting to grow into the team as well. Gutted for Field. Didn't look good.

Kasey Palmer changed the game for them when he came on, shame we never got to see him play for us.

• We looked knackered for the last 20.

Last minute winner tonight cancels out the Wembley win.

We were the better team. Onwards and upwards.
  • edited October 2019
    Looking forward to opponents getting the same treatment when doing the same

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5db0c436bb712/report-bristol-city-2-charlton

Booked: Kayal (14 foul on Eliasson), Pratley (55, Dissent), Phillips (85 time wasting), Bonne (90 time wasting), Aneke (90+4 time wasting)

Three bookings in one game for time wastiing, must surely be a record?
  • edited October 2019
    Both goals were poor to concede, the 2nd especially was criminal.

In reality we should have been 2/3 down before we took the lead, but then we probably should have gone two up. 

Leko tries but he just doesn't do enough. His first touch let him down tonight and why he didn't follow up for a rebound on Pratley's long range effort just shows his lack of footballing brain. 

Not a nice way to lose but it's hard to be angry at this team especially with the season we're having so far.