Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I predicted 2-1 to Brizzle as we had a weakened side, so I'm not too disappointed.
    We were extremely unlucky with the injuries, but I think Bowyer cocked up the subs tonight.
    Solly is a very poor left back and I was very surprised Lee chose that option, when he had Sarr available or possibly sticking Oshilaja there.

Lee then compounded the sub error by bringing on Aneke instead of Sarr.

However, we know Bowyer tries to win every game and most of us complained in the past when we brought on a defender and tried to hold out for the last 20 mins.

We lost our shape at the end and it was gutting to lose with 10 mins added on.
    I thought there were 4/5 to add, don't know how they got 6, but it is was it is.
    I'm still proud of Bowyer, the coaching staff & the lads.
  • Options
    Thing I love about this team is they go for it. Could play safe in this league and end up with a point or two from the last two games. Three from two is decent.
    Go again Sat you crazy bastards. Love it. 
  • Options
    If Kayal could of lasted 90 mins we would of won ,thought he was superb
  • Options
    Sarr should have come on for Leko instead of Aneke on for Kayal. Can’t blame Bows though. Tough one to take but still 11 points clear of the drop, which is all that matters
    spot on. Leko gets very tired in the last 1/4. I actually like aneke but was a gamble today to finish the game off and it went wrong! and he didnt look good today, actually looked like one of the tired players
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Agree all comments - subs, injuries could be a tough visit to Hawthorns.
    Bristol are tricky side but thought it would be fair for a point each. I sat with the locals who thought they were lucky to steal winner.  But great support from travelling "covered end ". Nice stadium but was quiet. Not sure what happened at our goal & fans being manhandled away by security - Keen to celebrate??
  • Options
    williams injured but Kayal is now match fit, so something to look forward to and Lyle cant be far behind.
    ---pratley
    cullen--kayal
    ----gallagher--

or different formation, looks good for saturday!
  • Options
    I'm investing in a knee brace business. Every cloud should have a silver lining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bonne and Taylor really could be exciting.
  • Options
    First game since Wembley. Can’t add much to what most have already written. Played some good stuff but the game definitely changed after our last sub.
    wish we’d kept the ball in the corner just before the winner. 
    We certainly don’t look out of place in this league.
    Gutted though.
  • Options
    Thought the early injuries cost us a lot. We were flying up until the point where we scored. When they, predictably, came on to us we seemed like we'd run out of steam. Some fresh legs at that point could have made quite a difference. Also noticed a few occasions where we (unnecessarily?) kicked the ball into touch. I think with a slightly calmer approach we might have had more possession and not invited their attacks. Difficult call though as no-one wants to get caught in possession.

Decent performance over all, deeply disappointing result. Shit happens.  
  • Options
    Was it Cullen’s man that drifted away from him for the winner. If so, not the first time I believe.

Josh if my favourite player but if it was him, he needs to improve on that. Good finish though 
  • Options
    Jesus we have become so critical! Shows how far we have come. A part of me thinks fair play, Dills kept us in the game for large parts so we were kind of riding our luck at 1-0/1-1 but then another part of me is gutted that we should have held on to at least a point! I thought again we played some cracking stuff tonight and defended brilliantly for large parts. Subs were a bit disappointing but the injuries didn’t help.....our luck will turn for the better soon! We will definitely have that lot down at our own place! Thought we had them on the ropes for the majority!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Both goals were poor to concede, the 2nd especially was criminal.

In reality we should have been 2/3 down before we took the lead, but then we probably should have gone two up. 

Leko tries but he just doesn't do enough. His first touch let him down tonight and why he didn't follow up for a rebound on Pratley's long range effort just shows his lack of footballing brain. 

Not a nice way to lose but it's hard to be angry at this team especially with the season we're having so far.

I was going mad sat at home watching it on tv. Twice Leko was on his heels.....the first time early on when Gallagher headed back across goal & then with Pratley's shot. The 2nd was criminal as the keeper spilled it & it went way out of his reach. Any striker of note would have been anticipating that & would have pounced. There is a reason why Leko is not featuring on WBA's plans & its there for all to see.
  • Options
    Arse.

First midweek away in a long, long while - incredible atmosphere. Never take these nights for granted.

They defended well and we looked ragged at the end. Gutting, but their fans (and the bloody manager having seen the BBC quotes) acting like they'd won the FA Cup tells us something about Bowyer's team. I'm more worried about tonight's injuries than tonight's result. 

Nova Scotia pub was very nice, mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just in from the game, 2nd half was end to end stuff, so much more exciting than the opening 45.

Injuries are almost as frustrating as the winner for them at the end, we should have seen that game out. 

Sub was strange and the balance shifted in their favour almost instantly, still up to the Hawthorns in a few days. 

Its football, 97min defeats come hand in hand with 96th minute Wembley victories, one positive is that once again we showed we can match teams in this division, I for one wasnt sure we could when the season kicked off. 
    Just got in meself se7.
    What i like bar wigan is weve given these teams a game and again tonight created a few chances 
  • Options
    Their fans were exceptionally quiet throughout.

First half dull; second exciting.  What a keeper Dillon is.  Aneke not at the races but give him time, there is a very good player in there.  Bonne is an amazing find; if we can keep Taylor then the two of them up front together will be a massive handful.

Leko has all of the natural attributes but no football brain and I am not sure how easy that is to teach even by our amazing management team.

losing 8 points from winning positions in the last 4 games is bad but we have 20 more than I expected us to at this point in the season when I look back to 2 weeks before the transfer window closed.  

we have the smallest budget in the division but lie 10th and in touching distance with the top.

keep it up players, management and wider staff; an incredible season so far.
  • Options
    Interesting that Bow's comments focus mainly on us not converting our chances - not a word of criticism for the defence. A good way to move forward with room for improvement. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Looking forward to opponents getting the same treatment when doing the same

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5db0c436bb712/report-bristol-city-2-charlton

Booked: Kayal (14 foul on Eliasson), Pratley (55, Dissent), Phillips (85 time wasting), Bonne (90 time wasting), Aneke (90+4 time wasting)

Three bookings in one game for time wastiing, must surely be a record?

One of those bookings in injury time, gave the ref the extra time added for them to score the winner.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://youtu.be/zatONM4_Omo

Bonne took his goal really well. Unclear why Solly is being blamed for both goals by some? 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Plenty of positives to take from this loss. Losing 2 players early in the game and still pushing Bristol back, taking the lead and almost doubling it. Cheesed off at losing to a last minute goal and thought Pearce was fouled by the their player not looking at the ball when he tried to head away but shit happens. 
  • Options

Fields injury doesn't look good, that twist of the knee is always a bad sign. 

Bonne took his goal with composure and its refreshing to see another forward finding the net with Taylor out.

Defending for their second wasn't great and we will get punished at this level playing like that.

Injuries will mount over a busy festive period and I'm still sticking with a 14/15th place finish which let's be honest we will all take!
  • Options
    agim said:

Fields injury doesn't look good, that twist of the knee is always a bad sign. 

Bonne took his goal with composure and its refreshing to see another forward finding the net with Taylor out.

Defending for their second wasn't great and we will get punished at this level playing like that.

Injuries will mount over a busy festive period and I'm still sticking with a 14/15th place finish which let's be honest we will all take!
    I’d still take fourth from bottom now if offered 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://youtu.be/zatONM4_Omo

Bonne took his goal really well. Unclear why Solly is being blamed for both goals by some? 
    Solly tamely kicked the first one off for a throw in,  when he could have got a bit more distance or looked for a pass in the position he was in . In defence of him it was he’s weaker foot but at the time when he did it before the goal I thought it was a bit chuff